The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Godfrey

A couple of my 1:43 scale model cars ... Peugeot 504 and FIAT 128.

Feel free to visit Flickr.com and see the rest of this small set (eight in all): https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdEE5A

All photos made with the Leica SL + Leitz Focusing Bellows R + Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4.

Enjoy!
G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Leica SL (digital) captures the rest of the family

There's a thread on the Leica User Forum (LUF) asking to see all the Leica's or other family members that you use. I used the SL to shoot this one, with an M2, M8, M9, and two M240s. Plus lotsa lenses:

L1010283 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

ISO 3200 @ 1/6, f/8 or f/11. Super-Elmarit 15 on the SL.

Proportions get a little strange when you shoot from that close, so I also shot a mosaic with my Olympus 60 macro on an E-P5. Now I have to see if I can get the 8 to 10 overlapped shots to stitch together.

scott

MCTuomey

Scott, I don't think they are Jewish cemeteries but they look very interesting, nonetheless. There are Jewish cemeteries, and older cemeteries that hold the bones of the families that developed the area at the expense of what was then the local population. They tended to be buried in mausoleums instead of in ground graves. Guess they think it will be easier to slide out a heavy stone than dig out from 6 feet worth of dirt.

Anyway, there is a beautiful Jewish cemetery n Doral, FL, which took me by surprise.
My understanding is that Jewish burial practice discourages or even prohibits the use of above ground crypts. If these are Jewish cemeteries, the dead are most likely buried beneath the crypts, which are practically just elaborate headstones. (Think "dust to dust.") Burial within a sealed outdoor crypt or indoor mausoleum for the general population is a Catholic practice (think of New Orleans' cities of the dead), predicated on physical considerations like a very high water table, I believe.

I agree, whatever the origin or affiliation, they make lovely subjects.

scott kirkpatrick

My understanding is that Jewish burial practice discourages or even prohibits the use of above ground crypts. If these are Jewish cemeteries, the dead are most likely buried beneath the crypts, which are practically just elaborate headstones. (Think "dust to dust.") Burial within a sealed outdoor crypt or indoor mausoleum for the general population is a Catholic practice (think of New Orleans' cities of the dead), predicated on physical considerations like a very high water table, I believe.

I agree, whatever the origin or affiliation, they make lovely subjects.
South Florida struck me as having a rather high water table, hence above-ground structures would make sense. Jerusalem and Tel Aviv certainly do not. I have only participated in one funeral since coming here, and burial was as you describe -- well below the stone that you see. But we are a thrifty people, and the layering is rather dense, with many levels made ready for future occupation. It is an interesting exercise in real estate development. In France, headstones indicate the duration of occupancy. Here I don't see that information. So in addition to being visually striking, cemetaries have social interest.

scott

erudolph

First shots. Actually, first were yesterday, but it took most of a day to get used to the camera, so these are the first, with a variety of lenses. (I should add, it's a drear raining day, hence the what's-happening-in-the-house photos.)

Varior-Elmar 80-200mm f/4 ISO 4000

Apo-Telyt-M 1:3.4/135 ISO 4000

Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/75 ASPH . ISO 400

50mm AA ISO 3200

I ducked outside for this one shot of one of the rain catchers we've been using against the drought:

erudolph

More fussing around pretending to test:

Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8, ISO 640

Vario-Elmar-R 80-200 with APO 2X extender, ISO 800

Same as above

johneaton

Lovely stuff, John! The views onto the water are beautiful there.

Your photos bring back memories. I used to live in Aptos, 1982 to 1985, way up on Aptos View Road.

G
Thank you Godfrey -- if you ever want to swing by a renew old memories, just let me know :)

Robert Campbell

From today's walk at The Argory, co Armagh:

The Lime Walk

It's a posh house, with a winter and a summer front door. This is the winter door; despite appearances, the knocker isn't upside down

Godfrey

Thank you Godfrey -- if you ever want to swing by a renew old memories, just let me know :)
I may have to take you up on that! I haven't visited Aptos for a very long time and I have another friend to drop in on in Capitola too. Perhaps next weekend or something like that. I'll be in touch. :)

G

Godfrey

From a gray Saturday morning walk, a few weeks past...

Leica SL + Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8
ISO 80 @ f/2.8 @ 1/40 sec

enjoy!
G