The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Godfrey

Guadalupe River Park is right on the San Jose International Airport flight line for takeoffs and landings ... The wind on Saturday morning meant landings. One gets this intimate view of airplane underbellies on a regular basis.

Being ready for it and having the clouds and sun line up nicely are the hard parts... :)

Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 400 @ f/4.8 @ 1/8000

enjoy!
G

Paratom

Guadalupe River Park is right on the San Jose International Airport flight line for takeoffs and landings ... The wind on Saturday morning meant landings. One gets this intimate view of airplane underbellies on a regular basis.

Being ready for it and having the clouds and sun line up nicely are the hard parts... :)

ISO 400 @ f/4.8 @ 1/8000

enjoy!
G
What happened to the color?

Paratom

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more explicit as to what you expect?

G
The cloud on the right and the bottom of the plane looks purple on my screens.
By the way I dont find it disturbing, I just wondered if it is posprocessing or if there is anything wrong with the profile.

Godfrey

The cloud on the right and the bottom of the plane looks purple on my screens.
By the way I dont find it disturbing, I just wondered if it is posprocessing or if there is anything wrong with the profile.
That's some lens flare twisting up the colors of things that was very hard to color-correct away. Also, the dynamic range is quite extreme: the underside of the aircraft was approximately 10 EV under the placement of Zone 9 in order to get texture into the clouds behind the aircraft—pulling up the belly of the plane six stops and then correcting the sky for the deep blue-cyan that I wanted caused a shift in the orange/blue paint rendering.

I find it remarkable how little flare there was considering that the sun was right there in the lower left of the frame, and how smooth and detailed the aircraft's underbelly is considering how much pull-up I did. I have a monochrome rendering that dispenses with the color accuracy issues, but I liked the feel and tone of the color even it if isn't entirely natural.

Maybe I'll finish the monochrome or flattened palette version and post that too. :)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Egyptian artifacts from the land of Canaan

New exhibit at the Israel museum, covering 2000 to 1350 BCE. Did you know that the first rulers of Egypt came from further North and East? They didn't last long, however.

L1010874 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Pretty soon, Amun (Egyptian, the head) eclypsed Hazor (the glowing bas relief, Canaanite) in the pantheon of gods

L1010883 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

A noble tomb was found to contain a ring inscribed to Tutankhamen:

L1010881 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL, CV 50/1.5

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

Very gray and rainy this morning, but a brief moment's warmth hit and I took advantage of it ...

ISO 400 @ f/1.4 @ 1/500

enjoy!
G

aDam007

Posted this over on FM. But thought I'd post here since I haven't done much posting lately due to work commitments.

Some images from the SL. These were shot at Dana Point while we were trying to whale watch. I think Grey Whales? Anyway, we seen spouts, but none of the whales surfaced (my wife calls it breaching).

For curiosity sake, I wanted to see how badly I could make the SL+Zoom flare. Basically shot into the sun using a BW nano filter that was FULL of salt spray (reason I put a filter on, I knew that would happen). Also I didn't use the hood, since again, I was trying to see how I could make the lens flare.

Most of the shots you can see where the sun was. Some shots I added in to show non-backlit scenes. Editing was a chore as I'm not happy with the colours from this camera.

Various focal lengths. And various distances to subject (I moved around a lot out of boredom, as I'm really not cut out for whale watching, or anything that requires sitting still).

Godfrey

Out for a walk last evening at sunset ...

Leica SL + Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH
ISO 3200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/4000

Um, no flare here, and precious little sun! ;-)

enjoy!
G