The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
and lots of aliasing :(
Doug,

It's still a beautiful shot.

--Matt

:lecture: and General Rant:

AA filters are one of those things that are extremely good ideas, but our obsession with maximizing perceived detail (or acuity, I forget which term I should be using) squeezes them out of the market. You can explain the Nyquist theorem until you are blue in the face, explain that post capture sharpening is necessary and comparing unsharpened AA filtered photos to others is a false comparison. That aliasing provides the false illusion of detail. It doesn't matter - people vote with their wallets.

One of my best images is slightly soft at 100%. I tried for days to "fix" it, even cloning in bits of a sharper, but poorer capture. When printed 20"x30", the difference was invisible. And this was 10 times blurrier than an AA to nonAA comparison. If an image isn't good, it's NOT because an AA filter was used.

vieri

Machrie Moor, Isle of Arran

The Stone Circle at Machrie Moor, on the Isle of Arran in Scotland at sunset.

Leica SL, Vario-Elmarit-SL at 34mm, 1 second @ f/10. Best,

Vieri

relms

For some time now, I have been following this thread with interest, but have not posted an image until now. This one was taken with the SL plus adapted Super_Elmar-S 24. I have been impressed with how well, in my experience, the adapted S lenses (24, 100, 70 and 120CS) perform on the SL. Auto focus is a tad slower than the native SL 24-90, but I mostly shoot in manual mode, anyhow, and so AF is not an issue.

Having the capability to use S lenses on the SL comes under the heading of Nice to Have, but I still prefer S lenses on S cameras (006 and 007). That said, there is, for me, partial justification for the SL in the ability to use one camera body with a choice of lenses of M, SL and S vintages. The SL will not replace my S or M bodies, but it is an incredible camera that is a joy to use.

L1010796.jpg

frontosa

Workshop Member
Went to the percolation ponds from the local water district. In 20 years that I have lived here, this is the first time there's been water here due to all the rainstorms in the last few weeks. SL with 28 2.0 Summicron.

Godfrey

The moon peeked through shuttering clouds high in the sky on its full night last week.

Leica SL + Elmar-R 180mm f/4
ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/160

enjoy!
G