The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

ashwinrao1

Well, okay, I've had lots of fun with the SL, so here are some pictures

Snapshots with the Leica SL
Very excited to get mine. I am tops on the list of someone who usually gets them early, so my hope is to have one very soon! For me, it will be M lenses (M-adapter T is on the way already) all the way, and then maybe the 90-280 to add to the mix.

Jono, have you used the WATE on it? Does it work okay with infiniti focus? I presume the 28 cron may be a challenge, but i am hoping that using Leica lenses within the Leica ecosystem will permit better function than on the A series Sony cams.

I am also very anxious to try my Noct on this camera, which may balance well on the body.

By the way, great snaps, Jono. Looks like R lenses function brilliantly. Oh yeah, further, great work with the Macro elmarit and the Native lens. The images produced are amazing. Almost like a prime zoom, if that makes sense...

jonoslack

Very excited to get mine. I am tops on the list of someone who usually gets them early, so my hope is to have one very soon! For me, it will be M lenses (M-adapter T is on the way already) all the way, and then maybe the 90-280 to add to the mix.

Jono, have you used the WATE on it? Does it work okay with infiniti focus? I presume the 28 cron may be a challenge, but i am hoping that using Leica lenses within the Leica ecosystem will permit better function than on the A series Sony cams.

I am also very anxious to try my Noct on this camera, which may balance well on the body.

By the way, great snaps, Jono. Looks like R lenses function brilliantly. Oh yeah, further, great work with the Macro elmarit and the Native lens. The images produced are amazing. Almost like a prime zoom, if that makes sense...
HI There Ashwin
I'm sure you'll enjoy it - I'm really sad I sold my Noct - I would have kept it if I'd known!

I've done some serious comparisons between the SL, the A7ii and the M240 I'd say:
M240 - 90%
SL - 70%
A7ii - 20%

The Wate is completely fine - the 28 elmarit slightly soft in the corners at infinity . . . In the tests I did the A7ii was still smearing slightly with the 50 APO at f8!

You might like to look about for the 35-70 vario elmar R f4 . . . and the macro elmarit 60 - both are great on the SL, and they're reasonably priced (for now!)

ashwinrao1

I just started reviewing the WATE images on your page. Looks to be a solid performed.

Is it me, or does the 35 lux have funky edges wide open? it's always hard to tell on websize prints....

On a separate note, the Vario Elmar 35-70 looks nice, so thanks for the tip on that. I have heard that this was a Minolta-Leica collaboration (mixed reviews on only threads), but it seems to stand up well on a modern sensor, and you seemed to bond with that lens fabulously. The 75 cron shots have made me reconsider selling that lens (I have it but was considering parting with it). The 60 macro elmarit would be lovely. I have owned 2, but may end up with a third :)

The colors in this series are quite nice, by the way. Great work

atanabe

On a separate note, the Vario Elmar 35-70 looks nice, so thanks for the tip on that. I have heard that this was a Minolta-Leica collaboration (mixed reviews on only threads), but it seems to stand up well on a modern sensor, and you seemed to bond with that lens fabulously. The 75 cron shots have made me reconsider selling that lens (I have it but was considering parting with it). The 60 macro elmarit would be lovely. I have owned 2, but may end up with a third :)

The colors in this series are quite nice, by the way. Great work
Ashwin,
The last version of the 35-70 Elmar w/ROM was a great lens, had that for my R8, loved it. I am waiting till they have the S adapter before I take the plunge, but already have the M adapter on the way.

Ashwin, I'd expect WATE and MATE both to function quite well on SL, because they're retrofocus lenses.

The 35-70 f4 R should be outstanding. This isn't the Minolta design – Leica 'borrowed' the cheaper f3.5 35-70 kit lens from Minolta, but f4 is a Leica design.

(And collectors have a few f2.8 35-70 R's. This would be magnificent on your SL but would cost even more than the body. :shocked:)

Kirk

Last edited:

rga

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what do these percentages refer to?
Also, do you have any images of the SL itself with various M lenses mounted? This would go a long way in comparing size to the current M's versus just showing the SL with the new (and very large) 24-90.
Thanks,
Bob

HI There Ashwin
I'm sure you'll enjoy it - I'm really sad I sold my Noct - I would have kept it if I'd known!

I've done some serious comparisons between the SL, the A7ii and the M240 I'd say:
M240 - 90%
SL - 70%
A7ii - 20%

jonoslack

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what do these percentages refer to?
Also, do you have any images of the SL itself with various M lenses mounted? This would go a long way in comparing size to the current M's versus just showing the SL with the new (and very large) 24-90.
Thanks,
Bob
HI Bob
the percentages were arbitrary - a representation of how well I felt the lenses worked.

I'm planning a short report on this, and I'll try and pop in a couple of snaps of the SL with different lenses as well.

jonoslack

Ashwin, I'd expect WATE and MATE both to function quite well on SL, because they're retrofocus lenses.

The 35-70 f4 R should be outstanding. This isn't the Minolta design – Leica 'borrowed' the cheaper f3.5 35-70 kit lens from Minolta, but f4 is a Leica design.

(And collectors have a few f2.8 35-70 R's. This would be magnificent on your SL but would cost even more than the body. :shocked:)

Kirk
Thanks Kirk for chipping in.
As you say, the F4 is a Leica design - although I'm pretty sure that it was made by Kyocera in Japan (thank you Thorsten Overgaard and your lens compendium) . It also has a very useful 'macro' mode at the long end - works great and makes it a real lightweight one lens option on the SL

The f3.5 35-70 is a Minolta co-operation - the earlier ones were made in Japan - but the later ones were made by Leica in Europe.

Best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono,

thanks for these wonderful samples (like always I should say)!

Would it be possible to post some RAWs maybe? One in great light, one in high contrast, etc?

This would really help going forward for some like me :)

Peter

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

thanks for these wonderful samples (like always I should say)!

Would it be possible to post some RAWs maybe? One in great light, one in high contrast, etc?

This would really help going forward for some like me :)

Peter
Hi There Peter
I can't post raw files quite yet - but I will as soon as I can.
all the best

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
View attachment 113694
Looking Forward SL with 24-90

View attachment 113695
Biscuit time SL with 24-90
Jono,

I am more than a bit conflicted ... but nothing new there ... at my (our) age that might be a given.

You have the ability to make a box of Crayons look amazing.

Your initial Nikon D1x (?) photo.net pics were wonderful ...

Now you have moved from an optical RF to a somewhat ungainly looking mirrorless camera
with a zoom that competes with the Oti for mass and prodigious size.

However respectfully I see nothing in the new new pics that transcend your small intimate RF
gear's imaging.

And I get it ... really I do ... Live view is the bomb ... and I have a Otus 85 and 55 with a Nikon D810
in search of the ultimate capture.

But realistically nothing about the SL says uncompromised ... other than the marketing.

IT is a bit about faith ... like those of us who signed on to the original Leica S ... that the forthcoming
lens and peripherals would be worth the sacrifice ...

However the SL market is less likely to buy the long slow slog to fruition ... not likely to
even know who Apsley Cherry-Gerrard or Robert Falcon Scott or Roald Amundsen are or what
their sacrifice represents ....

OK that is a bit of a stretch but here I have to say that the Emperor's new clothes do not seem
to be all that the R10 was pictured in the minds of the faithful... yes seems like the sensor, that while not
amazing is competent, but not marginally better than many sensors in cameras that are given away as
vehicles to mount glass.

Hopefully in a couple of years the new platform will be vey compelling ... if it is not marginalized like the T
X and presumably Q....

There is a great song ... Whip My Hair ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ow0x8

Just saying the folks at Leica Central need to define their game cause it seems like we are all getting whipped....

Love the effort and your pictures as always ...

I just committed to a M246 ... so I am in the fold ... but on the margin it seems.

Warm regards,

Bob

PeterA

The SL reminds me of a simplified shrunken Sinar M - more than S series...this is the backside of a Sinar M - the front side looks a lot like what Leica have delivered in SL ...what a pity the M was discontinued - it was 10 years ahead of its time and the genuine uber quality Zeiss primes that were matched to it are still good enough tos hoot 40+ megapixel backs with - easily...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aVKmHk]Sinar M and rare finder. by Peetey, on Flickr[/URL]

Ill be buying an SL - would rather use my M lens collection on a Leica than a smeary edged Sony output - and my Nocti is going to be even more awesome with EVF zoom focusing.. hopefully some decent autofocus glass ( primes) ... will arrive over the next few years- in the meantime I can hang my S glass off it for that.
For me - how a camera feels in my hand is very important and then how good is the viewfinder and then how good are your lens choices ..Leica has always satisfied me on these three measures..

Once I hit my sixties I think my eyes will be ready for autofocus - so there is plenty of time for Leica to deliver what I will probably have to go to.

Thanks Jono for your contribution - again.

jonoslack

Hi There Bob
a long and interesting post - perhaps it deserves a long and interesting answer!
Thanks for the kind words - always well received :)

Jono,

However respectfully I see nothing in the new new pics that transcend your small intimate RF
gear's imaging.
No need for respect - and I certainly don't see anything in the SL pictures that transcends the IQ in the M240 (rather the opposite perhaps) Certainly I've not the slightest intention to stop shooting with an M

And I get it ... really I do ... Live view is the bomb ... and I have a Otus 85 and 55 with a Nikon D810
in search of the ultimate capture.
But I don't think I'm after the ultimate capture - I want the ultimate jack of all trades - and I quite agree with you that the sensor is there or thereabouts - rather than necessarily state of the art.

But what I like about it is that I can take the dogs out in the pouring rain (or whatever other conditions) just with a camera over my shoulder, no bag, nothing but the camera - and the 24-90 zoom does pretty much what I want - very fast and efficiently, but more to the point - without really getting in the way - I like the way it works, the menus are minimal and the options are what I use - no more and no less . . . . If I want to use it in the evening I can stick an M lens on it and expect it to perform properly, without complaint and respecting the 1Xfocal length (speed setting) in the auto ISO.

But realistically nothing about the SL says uncompromised ... other than the marketing.
I haven't read much of the marketing (it's kinda boring when you've used it) - but I think there are things that are uncompromised . . . for instance the EVF, (which I care about) and the shooting speed (which I don't), then there's the responsiveness (which I also care about).

IT is a bit about faith ... like those of us who signed on to the original Leica S ... that the forthcoming
lens and peripherals would be worth the sacrifice ...
Hmm, when I first used it I was pretty sure I'd want the camera and zoom . Personally I'm not sure that I want any more lenses . . I'd rather slap on my 50 'lux than deal with 50 f1.4 lens that's coming (which will compete with the Otus in size) - or an R lens.

Hopefully in a couple of years the new platform will be vey compelling ... if it is not marginalized like the T
X and presumably Q....
I don't think either of these have been marginalised (X cameras maybe). There's new lenses and firmware for the T, and I guess there will be new firmware (and possibly new models) of the Q. Small companies can't do everything at once!

Personally - I have my M cameras with my M lenses - and then I have a second system; this is always an issue - the Em5ii and pro lenses is great (but I'm not totally sold on 4:3 format . . or 16mp . . which is also the issue with the T system - which has just been sped up it seems).

I've often been tempted to go to the D810 - or even a D750 (24mp is enough for me) - but they won't shoot M or R lenses (which I have) and I want it for primarily for zooms, not primes (I'll shoot primes on the M240 thank you). The Sony is obvious, great for R lenses but the M lenses are seriously compromised and the zooms big and unconvincing.

The SL will shoot all of these lenses elegantly and efficiently (even if the M lenses aren't quite as good as they are on the M240) I've got a nice 80-200 R zoom which works well, but the 24-90 covers almost everything I need (focuses nice and close too) and without any real compromise.

So, for me it covers a number of bases - I don't envisage buying the 90-250 or the 50 lux for it (never say never :) ). But I can put it over my shoulder with a WATE in one pocket and a 50 'lux in the other and that's all I need for a day's shooting.

. . . and it's really fun shooting with it too!

I just committed to a M246 ... so I am in the fold ... but on the margin it seems.

Warm regards,

Bob
Well, you aren't on the margin, you're at the core - and my M is staying put - hopefully the next M will be even more compelling.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
But what I like about it is that I can take the dogs out in the pouring rain (or whatever other conditions) just with a camera over my shoulder, no bag, nothing but the camera - and the 24-90 zoom does pretty much what I want - very fast and efficiently, but more to the point - without really getting in the way - I like the way it works, the menus are minimal and the options are what I use - no more and no less . . . . If I want to use it in the evening I can stick an M lens on it and expect it to perform properly, without complaint and respecting the 1Xfocal length (speed setting) in the auto ISO.

Hmm, when I first used it I was pretty sure I'd want the camera and zoom . Personally I'm not sure that I want any more lenses . . I'd rather slap on my 50 'lux than deal with 50 f1.4 lens that's coming (which will compete with the Otus in size) - or an R lens.

Personally - I have my M cameras with my M lenses - and then I have a second system; this is always an issue - the Em5ii and pro lenses is great (but I'm not totally sold on 4:3 format . . or 16mp . . which is also the issue with the T system - which has just been sped up it seems).

I've often been tempted to go to the D810 - or even a D750 (24mp is enough for me) - but they won't shoot M or R lenses (which I have) and I want it for primarily for zooms, not primes (I'll shoot primes on the M240 thank you). The Sony is obvious, great for R lenses but the M lenses are seriously compromised and the zooms big and unconvincing.

The SL will shoot all of these lenses elegantly and efficiently (even if the M lenses aren't quite as good as they are on the M240) I've got a nice 80-200 R zoom which works well, but the 24-90 covers almost everything I need (focuses nice and close too) and without any real compromise.

So, for me it covers a number of bases - I don't envisage buying the 90-250 or the 50 lux for it (never say never :) ). But I can put it over my shoulder with a WATE in one pocket and a 50 'lux in the other and that's all I need for a day's shooting.
Great summary Jono and really helpful.

I would see the SL exactly as you do and could see a big benefit for my shooting style with the 24-90 and my WATE, 1.0/50, 2/75 and 1.4/75. Maybe I would add the 90-280 for wildlife later.

But I had a great offline discussion with another member from this forum and we came to the conclusion that the SL would also be a perfect complement to an existing Nikon kit with maybe a D810 and some primes and/or zooms. This is because first owning both systems would allow to shoot classical DSLR style with maybe the best contenders in each discipline and while Leica lenses really shine and stand out on the SL, there will never be some lenses available for the Leica, which would easily be covered by the Nikon system - think 80-400 or 200-500 just to get the extra reach with high quality. On the other hand the SL with the 24-90 and some primes (either M or R or via a future adapter also Nikon???) would make for a perfect full mirrorless alternative. But of course there are even other complementary features....

WRT m43, this is an interesting comment, the more I shoot it, I have the feeling I am missing 3:2, although the Zuiko Pro lenses are really marvels, especially the 2.8/40-150. But finally the 16MP start becoming a limitation especially for some cropping and there is not much light at the end of the tunnel, as even a next generation EM1 would probably not get more than 20MP or so and this already might bring limitations WRT low noise high ISO. I see m43 more as a quick P&S system for my future, but then of course the Pro lenses are not really contributing to this idea. So maybe a EM5II with the standard 14-150 zoom and that's it.

Lot of decisions ahead again :):banghead::shocked:

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Thanks for the gallery, Jono. Even at webscale that's a lot to absorb. I was struck by the fine performance that the 35-70 f/4 turned in. It held up well alongside the 28 and 38 Lux/FLE images. Looking at the specs on that lens that Puts reprints, it seems that it is very good at all focal lengths at f/4 and awesomely sharp at f/5.6. So did you shoot it stopped down a bit, and if so, how hard is it to focus? (Incidentally, how does the "macro" setting work on that one?) Same question with regard to the M-primes that you were using. E-Bay listed 4-5 shiny, little-used ROM 35-70/4s when I looked a few hours ago. I'll be curious to see how many are left in a few weeks.

It would be nice to see more pictures taken with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60. I have a real beater (1.5-cam, doesn't focus out to infinity), but it takes lovely garden pictures on an M[240].

Availability of lenses like the ROM 35-70 and the highly regarded 90, 180, 280 R telephotos makes it really desirable that the R-L adapter, when it finally comes out, includes the cam and actuator to stop down the lens as you shoot. I'm not sure how metering works in this case, but they must have figured that out in the R6-9 series. The only question is why Leica would see a benefit to them (besides making customers happy) since they won't sell more R lenses. Perhaps we should help them understand that there is a springboard effect: the SL[601] will become the center of a cult, attracting great respect and a mystical reputation. Das Wesentliche, right?

scott