The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL Article on the getDPI Front page

jonoslack

HI There
Lots of talk in the other thread, but I'm not sure how many people have gone to the front page and read my report there.
You can click on the link

Leica SL Report

Many thanks to Bob for putting it there.

John Black

Hi Jono -

I am interested in knowing if Leica added an option to assign the focus magnification to the joystick. In your review it was triggered by the lower-left button (and that's how it's described in the user manual as well). I'd like to able to assign that to the joystick, but it appears this function cannot be assigned to another control - at least not in firmware version 1.0. I'm hoping that has changed already in subsequent firmware updates.

Thank you - John

jonoslack

Hi Jono -

I am interested in knowing if Leica added an option to assign the focus magnification to the joystick. In your review it was triggered by the lower-left button (and that's how it's described in the user manual as well). I'd like to able to assign that to the joystick, but it appears this function cannot be assigned to another control - at least not in firmware version 1.0. I'm hoping that has changed already in subsequent firmware updates.

Thank you - John
HI There John
Well, I think it should probably be possible to assign it to the front function button (this is the stop down button with AF lenses) - This has certainly been a hot topic for conversation, and I quite agree that it should be possible to assign it elsewhere - the joy stick would also be good as you can move the spot around with it.

All the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

I'm sure this will get covered soon by you or Sean, but have you tried the 28 Summicron with the SL? That is my favorite lens on the M9, and is one of the worst performers on the Sonys. I know that there are other Leica 28s that work better, but I would love to be able to use the Summicron.

Thanks,

Matt

jonoslack

Jono,

I'm sure this will get covered soon by you or Sean, but have you tried the 28 Summicron with the SL? That is my favorite lens on the M9, and is one of the worst performers on the Sonys. I know that there are other Leica 28s that work better, but I would love to be able to use the Summicron.

Thanks,

Matt
Hi There Matt
Oh Yes!
Actually, I haven't tried the 28 'cron, but I have tried the 28 elmarit Asph (just as tricky) and the 28 'lux, 35 'cron, 35 lux. I'm planning on a follow up article . . . No Smearing . . . they still work best in the corners on the M240 (as you would expect) - but I've done a comparison with the Sony A7ii I'd say:

M240 - 90%
SL - 70%
A7ii - 20%

Ken_R

Very nice article Jono!

I downloaded the SL DNG raw file from DPREVIEW (of the studio scene) and compared it against the 5DSR, the 645Z and the D810.

First off, the dynamic range is on par (or very close to) the industry leading 645Z and D810. It of course DESTROYS the Canon in shadow recovery. Wow. Color looks great.

The lens is another story (at the 90mm and f5.6 setting), there is a lot of CA in the corners and sharpness falls of a tad near the edges of the frame and beyond. In the center it is superb. Kinda what you would expect in a $1000 zoom not one that costs $5k.

So it looks like the Leica sensor is top notch but the lens so so (again, at least at f5.6 at 90mm)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm not defending Leica, they're certainly charging perfection prices, but are there any zooms covering that range, or close to it, that stay sharp out to the corners at both ends? The Contax 24-85 is brilliant up to about 75mm, then gets slightly soft. I don't know the more modern Canon/Nikon 24-70s. Are they better at the long end? How about the legendary R zooms?

--Matt

Hmmm, I downloaded all the available SL raw files on DPR real world images and photographyblog and came the opposite conclusion on the lens, it looks great. I see virtually no lateral or longitudinal CA at any focal length and I find the bokeh to be rather pleasing as well. On a qualitative level I find the contrast and sharpness to be better than most zooms I've tried. The weakness of the lens does seem to be 90mm in the corners. Checked out the studio scene, my guess is that there is field curvature at play here.

Very nice article Jono!

I downloaded the SL DNG raw file from DPREVIEW (of the studio scene) and compared it against the 5DSR, the 645Z and the D810.

First off, the dynamic range is on par (or very close to) the industry leading 645Z and D810. It of course DESTROYS the Canon in shadow recovery. Wow. Color looks great.

The lens is another story (at the 90mm and f5.6 setting), there is a lot of CA in the corners and sharpness falls of a tad near the edges of the frame and beyond. In the center it is superb. Kinda what you would expect in a $1000 zoom not one that costs $5k.

So it looks like the Leica sensor is top notch but the lens so so (again, at least at f5.6 at 90mm)

Ken_R

Hmmm, I downloaded all the available SL raw files on DPR real world images and photographyblog and came the opposite conclusion on the lens, it looks great. I see virtually no lateral or longitudinal CA at any focal length and I find the bokeh to be rather pleasing as well. On a qualitative level I find the contrast and sharpness to be better than most zooms I've tried. The weakness of the lens does seem to be 90mm in the corners. Checked out the studio scene, my guess is that there is field curvature at play here.
Makes sense. The DPREVIEW DNG was shot at 90mm and f5.6 so we are seeing the worst of what the lens is capable of (besides 90mm and f4). DPREVIEW mostly uses primes in the other camera's studio samples.

I myself still think the Leica S is the succesor to the R line (and even the old SL) since it is a SLR design and I just love OVFs when working with people in the studio with flash and situations with lower light levels and the Leica S has a stunning OVF. The feel of the Leica S in the hand is just so smooth, solid and comfortable. Wish Leica would have done something similar with the SL.

That said I would love to try an SL and an S (again). I am constantly evaluating my gear as my work evolves. Right now I am doing a lot of work in film sets as a unit stills photographer and that means low light AF and high iso image quality / performance is paramount. Large file sizes are actually a hindrance and the 20-24mp range is perfect. Even in my Architecture work that resolution is plenty (Color, Dynamic Range and lens selection is much more important). I might be in Miami soon. Anyone there with an SL?

I agree with me, from a system perspective I saw the S as the replacement for the R line. I'm still keeping an open mind regarding the SL but in my perfect world Leica would have focussed its resources spent on the SL and those lenses on more S lenses. Something like the 90-280 (but with understandably shorter range) for the S would be amazing, as would some tilt shift wides.

Makes sense. The DPREVIEW DNG was shot at 90mm and f5.6 so we are seeing the worst of what the lens is capable of (besides 90mm and f4). DPREVIEW mostly uses primes in the other camera's studio samples.

I myself still think the Leica S is the succesor to the R line (and even the old SL) since it is a SLR design and I just love OVFs when working with people in the studio with flash and situations with lower light levels and the Leica S has a stunning OVF. The feel of the Leica S in the hand is just so smooth, solid and comfortable. Wish Leica would have done something similar with the SL.

That said I would love to try an SL and an S (again). I am constantly evaluating my gear as my work evolves. Right now I am doing a lot of work in film sets as a unit stills photographer and that means low light AF and high iso image quality / performance is paramount. Large file sizes are actually a hindrance and the 20-24mp range is perfect. Even in my Architecture work that resolution is plenty (Color, Dynamic Range and lens selection is much more important). I might be in Miami soon. Anyone there with an SL?

johneaton

Hello Jono.

Many thanks for the excellent review of the SL, very useful & informative -- do you have any plans to cover the performance of the R lenses? (as well as the Ms!). I have to say that you've contributed to further angst in our household as I've just put in my order for an SL and, as a result, spent a very hard weekend trying to work down a rapidly expanding 'to do' list from the better half :). Nevertheless, keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated as always!

Best, John.

jonoslack

Very nice article Jono!

Hi There Ken
I had the 24-90 back in June, and it was very much prototype firmware.. . but I thought it did pretty good at all focal lengths and all apertures. . . But I have to say I didn't spend a lot of time checking out the corners at 90mm for close subjects. 24-90 Is rather a wide range for a zoom, and perhaps perfection isn't possible?
I've used (and rejected) a lot of mid range zooms, especially those starting at 24mm, and I think this one is good - the shortcoming is the size!

I should have another body and lens shortly, and I'll do some more considerable testing in Venice next week :toocool:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I agree with you - and perhaps 90mm in studio scenes isn't really what one would be using in the real world anyway?

jonoslack

Quite right - extreme competition!

I'm with you on 24mp - I'd rather have the increased high ISO and dynamic range and take a (small) dip on the resolution. Not least because the processing times are so much faster.

If you're in Miami shouldn't you go see David Farkas?

jonoslack

Hello Jono.

Many thanks for the excellent review of the SL, very useful & informative -- do you have any plans to cover the performance of the R lenses? (as well as the Ms!). I have to say that you've contributed to further angst in our household as I've just put in my order for an SL and, as a result, spent a very hard weekend trying to work down a rapidly expanding 'to do' list from the better half :). Nevertheless, keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated as always!

Best, John.
HI There John
I feel your pain . . I just placed my firm order for the SL and the 24-90 today and told the boss . . . she was delightful as always (there seems to be an imminent horse purchase :) )

I've done lots of shooting with R lenses, but I have the workaday lenses rather than the grand ones (60 macro, 35-70 f4, 50 'cron, 80-200 f4) They all seem to work spectacularly well . . . and I think that Sean Reid has done some really detailed examinations, but for me it was enough that they seemed great (I don't really have anything to compare them with).

I'm sure you won't regret it .. it isn't often I actually order a camera I've been testing even if I really like them (no Q, no X cameras).