The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You all need to go to the beach on a hot summer day. Than if you say this is still sexy I'm sending a white padded truck for ya. Lol

You all lost it. ROTFLMAO

You all need to go to the beach on a hot summer day. Than if you say this is still sexy I'm sending a white padded truck for ya. Lol

I live 30 minutes from the beaches here in SoCal and it's been 80-90+˚ for the past few weeks. This thread is a nice variation :thumbup:

jonoslack

Frankly, the SL looks a whole lot like an A7II with a red dot and brings to mind this little story by Simon Garfield in Esquire Magazine:

"THe felt bolder. He felt more able to edge himself into situations from which he previously would have shrunk. When he reviewed his pictures later, he found them to be better than those he had taken before.
Sounds to me like Simon Garfield had written his story before he tried out the camera :)

jonoslack

Bauhaus industrial chic
I think it looks pretty good, but I also think all these designs take a while to sink in.
At least it isn't boring . . . . and it doesn't look much like an A7 if you sit them next to each other.

Godfrey

Not young, not sexy, but soulful and still making photos after 55 years...

I promised it a beauty shoot ...

all: Olympus E-M1 + Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

Love the old beast. The selenium cell has finally died, it's time to send it off to Los Angeles to be overhauled.

enjoy, G

jonoslack

:) I expect that Peter has a different definition of "sexy" for machinery (a subsidiary and very inferior version in my case) . . . . Still, the Boxster and a Leica R8 certainly qualify - the jury is out on the SL as far as I'm concerned . . . . Beach sexy is quite a different species :)

algrove

:) I expect that Peter has a different definition of "sexy" for machinery (a subsidiary and very inferior version in my case) . . . . Still, the Boxster and a Leica R8 certainly qualify - the jury is out on the SL as far as I'm concerned . . . . Beach sexy is quite a different species :)
Now by the term "Boxster" do you refer to the SL? Just kidding.:ROTFL:

Frankly, it's the images a camera can produce that makes a camera sexy to me.

bensonga

Rather than "sexy", "beautiful" is the word I would use, but I think we all know what Peter was getting at. Some cameras just look so good, it's hard not to stare, fondle them and dare I say it...drool over them. When they feel as good and natural in your hands as they look, when the camera works to near perfection, it's even better.

Beauty is to some great measure in the eye of the beholder. While I like the look and concept of the new SL, I'm not sure if it falls into that category of beautiful cameras for me just yet. I love the Nikon F2, Leica R8/R9, Leica S and too many others to name here. I'll just add a photo of a few of my personal favorites, a trio of Swedish beauties...I'll be darned if they aren't almost "sexy". :)

And since this is a Leica thread.....one of my favorites, the R8 with motordrive. :)

Gary

Last edited:

Tim

SL sexy, no. Its utilitarian.
If it were a kitchen implement it would be cake mixer. hmmm, cake, now I am hungry.
It improves when a lens is mounted as that hides some of the body.

IMO the Leica X1/X2 is more sexy to look at.

D&A

Rather than "sexy", "beautiful" is the word I would use, but I think we all know what Peter was getting at. Some cameras just look so good, it's hard not to stare, fondle them and dare I say it...drool over them. When they feel as good and natural in your hands as they look, when the camera works to near perfection, it's even better.

Beauty is to some great measure in the eye of the beholder. While I like the look and concept of the new SL, I'm not sure if it falls into that category of beautiful cameras for me just yet. I love the Nikon F2, Leica R8/R9, Leica S and too many others to name here. I'll just add a photo of a few of my personal favorites, a trio of Swedish beauties...I'll be darned if they aren't almost "sexy". :)

Gary

"Almost Sexy"? Seriously?? Gary when is a trio of Swedish beauties not simply outright Sexy? :) (OK maybe if you are refering to a trio of Swedish meatballs...LOL)

Dave (D&A)

Pelorus

Machinery sexy rather than beach sexy...here's my take. It can't be machinery sexy unless it's got tactile appeal. I've just had a fondle and it's seriously sexy. It feels absolutely right. I've got big hands and it feels very similar to my Alpa STC with a handgrip on it. It's also a complete weapon, you know that a single tap with the SL will see off any assailant. It is nothing like the Sony which feels cheap, too small and too flimsy by comparison. With the zoom lens it's remarkably well balanced but so heavy. I like it...a lot, in the same way as I like film Ms a lot. Pity about the AUD$11K price tag.

LocalHero1953

I don't fondle anything that can't fondle me back. And I don't get romantically entangled with my cameras.

Just in case, and for the avoidance of doubt, I don't fondle my Leica.