The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

fotografz

Hmmm, I think I agree with Guy. I don't often disagree with Peter A on much, but I can't get my design eye to buy into this SL's over-all look.

I don't like my women, cars, or cameras to look boney, angular and slab sided.:ROTFL:

I still think the S is one of the most beautiful cameras, but do not think this SL is a mini S ... at least not in design terms.

Frankly, it does look like a bigger Sony A7, which I also don't particularly think is an attractive industrial design.

Thank God the SL looks like it does ... it makes it easier to resist the expensive siren's song from Leica.:grin:

- Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I still think that the S is much more sexy than the SL, but maybe that's only me.

Having said that, I meanwhile got used to the SL look and although I do not find it sexy by any means, for me it looks and feels very functional, great in hand and a dream to shoot - which is what is sexy :grin:

Well, sex sells!

uhoh7

Oh no! Now you've spoiled the surprise for us!!!!!!!! :ROTFL:

Cheers

Brian
I know, He's always amped about everything, but in the case of the SL, he was quite negative about it to begin with, when he made a story a few weeks ago.

I think it is very interesting in the video to see all those various cameras--the ones we are most interested in, next to each other, from RX1 to SL :)

DougDolde

What does it matter how it looks? From the comparisons on dpreview it's an obvious non performer. Reminds me of a Sony Blad.

uhoh7

What does it matter how it looks? From the comparisons on dpreview it's an obvious non performer. Reminds me of a Sony Blad.
Oh yes, the last word in testing, DPR. They certainly are great at making cameras look crappy. Their "first look" at the Sony A7 a case in point. :)

By all means ignore the photography by many strong reviewers, and let's base our opinion on a site which could never manage a full review of the M9 at all.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hope you all know I was joking as I have not seen this thing in person yet. I just don't view cameras as sexy, there just tools to me. Now cars maybe a different thing . Lol

I'm a little over 40 years jaded on cameras. All I want is for them to work the way I think. Well that will never happen but you get the idea.

Godfrey

If I believed the reviews on DPR were actually true reflections of reality for even one second, I would never have sold my Nikon F3.

G

PeterA

My favourite camera of all time (by far) is the XPan and my dream is to see a digital version of same because ( frankly) I can't be bothered going through the chemical development thing anymore and still have over a hundred rolls of undeveloped exposed film to do...
the point of the photo above is to say that we all have our unique way of seeing and photography to me is an individual exercise of aesthetic - sometimes but not always appealing to other viewers...

for those of you who have taken some kind offence at my use of the 'hook' word "sexy" I don't apologise at all.
for those of you who think I may be losing the plot describing a camera as being 'the sexiest thing Leica has ever made' I share your appreciation of both the M / R and S aesthetic I have owned all and except for R9 still do...
my definition of sexy is something so beautiful that it draws me to wish to fondle...

beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say...note the sexy BP MP pictured above - very high fondle factor I can assure you all..

Photography for me is two part story one part is testing stuff all the time for myself because I am the only judge of what works for me and what doesn't..the second part is making and printing photographs - and I can't get excited about using cameras or lenses which I don't like holding/fondling - I can't dissociate the tactile sensations of the tool I am using from the actual process and I don't think that this is a particularly eccentric or strange way to be..

As for wether the SL is the sexiest camera Leica has ever made- well ....it is a landmark design in my eyes - and I look forward to hooking my M lenses on to it and not having to worry about back or front focus issues with my fast glass...I'll be posting photos when I get my SL early in the New Year- when they arrive down here.

-Pete