The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

erudolph

vis a vis "the atmosphere"

i'm thinking vivek's post may refer more to the acrimony in the Fun with the SL thread

V

Vivek

That is correct, Ed.

Currently I have 3 (the count is correct) monochrome bodies. The MM, 2 debayered NEX-5Ns and a debayered Panasonic GX. The GX has a bit of a problem (result of debayering). The MM is with a CCD sensor (battery lasts forever) and the rest CMOS with live view.

The question to ask oneself is what if any makes the MM (1,2) special. If you adore RF the answer is super simple. :)

jonoslack

Maybe it's jono in disguise testing yet another secret leica protoype
Eh? What? Me?
I think it might be a while before we have another Monochrom to test . . .but who knows?

I'm just rather humbled by how much work you guys put into the files - I treat every one differently (except the ones I delete - which is most of them).
I prefer the new M246, but it's pretty marginal and it's functional rather than IQ based . . . .

iiiNelson

Jim, I'm only viewing on a cell phone at the moment, but I much prefer your original MM images in this set of images, especially the tonality. I realize its subjective and is dependant on lighting, subject matter and post processing as much as anything else. I've had the chance to work with both monochroms and like yourself agree with Ashwins fine assessment and comparison of the two.

By the way, in that last shot, is that gentleman holding a prototype of the future 3rd generation of Leica monochrom?its size is in line with new SL :).

Dave
I was actually thinking the exact same thing. All of the images are good but I think the MM9 has a bit more to it in IQ compared to the M246 IMO from what I've seen so far on the outside looking in.

MCTuomey

interesting thread. i sold an MM and M9 to consolidate my RF kit into an M240. i don't miss the M9 much after acclimating to the M240, but i do miss the MM. i think BW conversions from M240 files are quite nice, but i really liked the latitude of the MM files, in some ways like working with good scans of med format film.

i agree with the point that moving from the ccd to the cmos cameras is less about image quality and more about in-use experience. i just prefer shooting the M240 by a wide margin. i would like to add an M246 but $wise it's not in the cards.

jlm

Workshop Member
so many variables in post processing; tough to make any definitive image quality comparisons. somehow i feel it was easier to get what i wanted with the M9 version, but i'm quite satisfied with the 246, just a slightly different post, and quite subjective and image dependent.

it is really about the features and extra pixels

I like the photographs, especially the third; but is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

(Hard to tell from images on a monitor, rather than printed. So I have to ask!)

Kirk

JSKG

I have had the M246 now for 4 months. I had the MM for 3 years.

I am overall pleased with the choice to change from the MM to the M246, but with a few caveats. While I like the new shutter and build of the 246, and have adjusted to the slower start up speed, I liked the feel of the MM just fine. Files process quite differently, in my opinion. The M246 renders a "creamier" look (almost like it has more IR sensitivity, as skin tones glow a bit more), that does well with modern glass, while the MM seems to render a harder look that works very well with older glass.

The M246 seems to have a cleaner file for a given ISO, and it takes a bit more sharpening to have the M246 files pop. I got very used to the MM and put many many images on it, so I am biased by that experience, but I do feel that the MM files at first render with a bit more pop than the M246 (similar-ish to the M240/M9 differene), but the M246 files end up having a bit more richness as well, and ISO's can be pushed comfortably to ISO 6400 (compared to ISO 3200-5000 on the MM).

What's also interesting to me as the M246 files seem to be less responsive to the B/W Light/Dark sliders in LR, so it takes a different effort to make things work well. But I am still learning much about the 246, enough that I have not posted many shots with it so far...though I have taken my share.

I have also noted that it's a bit more challenging to easily hand hold to 246 compared to the MM and get a pristine/sharp image...maybe a weight thing or an 18 vs 24 mp factor....

Ultimately, I have found that the MM would be my choice if I were an old glass guy (Leitz glass), and the M246 seems more tuned to performing well with newer glass.

I feel that I was able to coax a bit more out of the MM than the M246, but that being said, I have a long way to go with the 246, and the journey is only beginning for me, in many ways....
Hello Ashwin, for my 2cents worth my experiences are pretty much the same as yours. Meaning I also had a M9 Mono and shifted to the 246 and I think you are spot-on.

I also moved from the M9-P to the M-P 240 at the same time. I also agonised over the colour (like you and others), now I am quite happy, its just a bit different.

I do not think I would go back but would like the next M to be smaller and lighter...

One Old lens that does work well on the M246 is the 1963 Rigid summicron. One that is less successful on the M-P 240 and M246 than the M9-P and MM is the F1.0 Noctilux. On the older cameras I prfer it but I suspect the current f0.95 will be a better match for the newer cameras.

Mikec

I just got my M246 this week. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. After I take a shot, it feels like the camera becomes unresponsive for a second or two intermittently.

Anyone ran into this?

D&A

I like the photographs, especially the third; but is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

(Hard to tell from images on a monitor, rather than printed. So I have to ask!)

Kirk
Kirk, its as though you read my mind as I was thinking much the same thing. Then again it must be remembered that not only preferences in how the files are post processed as well as the subjectivity of the technical aspects of B&W imagey, play an equally important role in how the final product is viewed.

Dave (D&A)

Mikec

With respect to the files, my first reaction is that they look a bit different than the MM1 files and will take a little time to fully develop. At this point in time, I'm neutral on my MM1 to M246 transition.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
.. is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

Kirk
Tonality, perhaps and overall feel of the two cameras for me is somewhat different.

Forgive the following analogy ... might work. The M246 files remind me of Acros and the MM more of PlusX or TriX when pushed.
M246 more like Diafine than Rodinal ... the pictures were an attempt to show that the spectrum of available tones is similar ... what
gets my attention is the ability to manipulate the files without them seeming too processed. It is not just that you have to add more
sharpening ... it is that you can do so and maintain a wonderful transparent feel to the end result ... edges just sharp enough without
excessive bite or texture in the overall feel of the picture. This is a the low ISOs of the cameras ... I have not played with the M246 at
highest ISO equivalents to discern if there is a tipping point that obviates my thoughts above.

I might add that it seems like the M246 is more like a print from a diffusion enlarger than that from a condenser enlarger. Somewhat flatter
and in need of a bit more work with curves to add contrast.

Overexposure on the M246 is like a brick wall ... nothing to recover if the highlights are overexposed and the meter in camera does not always
protect you from it occurring ... even a - 2/3 stop at times leaves one with burnt out sky in extreme areas. Pulling up shadows at lower ISO
seems relatively safe in contrast to the highlights. But many times one will prefer the highlight to land at the limit or above if the scene is
to appear as you envisioned it.

As Dave pointed out ... subjectivity and preference play a huge part in how the camera files will be processed ... it is great that we do
have the ability to work with a neutral enough digital negative rather than accept a firmly baked in look from the start.

Bob

docmoore

I just got my M246 this week. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. After I take a shot, it feels like the camera becomes unresponsive for a second or two intermittently.

Anyone ran into this?
Actually it sounds like a good description of me ... intermittently.

But just a guess ...

Sounds like either a slow SD Card or you have review on and it is slowing down perceived responsiveness.

You might try turning off image review and see if it makes a difference.

Bob

docmoore

Here a file that was raised almost two stops in LR ...

Leica Monochrom Type 246 VC SC 35 F 1.4

And this with grain and tone added in post ...

Leica Monochrom Type 246 Zeiss Otus 85 ZF.2 1.4

Bob

Last edited:

D&A

Tonality, perhaps and overall feel of the two cameras for me is somewhat different.

Forgive the following analogy ... might work. The M246 files remind me of Acros and the MM more of PlusX or TriX when pushed.
M246 more like Diafine than Rodinal ... the pictures were an attempt to show that the spectrum of available tones is similar ... what
gets my attention is the ability to manipulate the files without them seeming too processed. It is not just that you have to add more
sharpening ... it is that you can do so and maintain a wonderful transparent feel to the end result ... edges just sharp enough without
excessive bite or texture in the overall feel of the picture. This is a the low ISOs of the cameras ... I have not played with the M246 at
highest ISO equivalents to discern if there is a tipping point that obviates my thoughts above.

I might add that it seems like the M246 is more like a print from a diffusion enlarger than that from a condenser enlarger. Somewhat flatter
and in need of a bit more work with curves to add contrast.

Overexposure on the M246 is like a brick wall ... nothing to recover if the highlights are overexposed and the meter in camera does not always
protect you from it occurring ... even a - 2/3 stop at times leaves one with burnt out sky in extreme areas. Pulling up shadows at lower ISO
seems relatively safe in contrast to the highlights. But many times one will prefer the highlight to land at the limit or above if the scene is
to appear as you envisioned it.

As Dave pointed out ... subjectivity and preference play a huge part in how the camera files will be processed ... it is great that we do
have the ability to work with a neutral enough digital negative rather than accept a firmly baked in look from the start.

Bob
Bob, an excellent descriptive anology of some of the differences between the MM1 and M246. Like thr film snd developers tou described, often one has to choose what kind of look they are hoping to achieve, especially based on the subject matter. Often we look for "bite" and hard edges, other times a smooth and gentle tonality. Each of these monochroms like selective a particular B&W film will lean or be biased to one of these looks.

If we want a different look with one of these cameras, them ee have to try and make it work. In other words if one uses the MM1, the user will have to learn how to take the hard edge or higher contrast off thr image and likewise the opposite with the M246. Obviously each camera will excell at one or the other.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: