The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Edition 0,95"

Eoin

I am so glad I got to use and appreciate some leica equipment before it became very expensive.
I am equally glad (relieved) that my eyesight precludes the use of such equipment now!.
€12,500 seems to be the new Leica asking price, this 0.95 special edition or a new SL and zoom for the same change ...
Fair play to those that see value in this proposition ... my eyes just glaze over.

Brian Mosley

Leica sent an email with a title "Beyond Perfection".

They are treating this seriously! :bugeyes:
Beyond ludicrous more like :loco:

I realise the attraction of status symbols, but I'm afraid this has a negative effect on the brand in my eyes. Stupidity doesn't command respect IMHO. :facesmack:

Kind regards

Brian

aDam007

I wonder who it was who thought a Noctilux where you couldn't read the aperture and depth of field was a grand idea?

Oh Well, I guess they'll sell 95 of them without too much trouble.
The same few hundred people who told Leica that they should just remove the aperture ring all together because nobody uses the Noctilux at anything but 0.95.

Just an FYI, I routinely stop it down to 5.6 where I love the look of the lens. (As everyone reading this who owns a Noctilux now runs to it so they can mount it and try it at 5.6)

Also gotta wonder if they're getting rid of access stock for a new Noctilux? JONO you holding out on us?

k-hawinkler

I have a large number of Leica lenses.
Most of them are terrific, so I use them a lot.
But other companies make great lenses as well.
So, I use those too.

In many ways I like the SL, but without IBIS and more pixels I won't buy one.
Generally though Leica seems to develop in a direction that feels more and more alien to me.

jaree

Y'all are missing the point here. This is the lens that "....In collaboration with an extraordinary partner, it not only questions established limits, but it goes further: it redefines them.". This is what Leica is about, but I understand if mere mortals cannot understand this.

Leica should have gone all the way and take away the aperture ring, leaving this 0.95 edition lens at, you guessed it, at 0.95, and at 0.95 only, no way to fiddle with other aperture values.

Wouldn't you feel silly if you told people "...err, I got this special 0.95 edition lens but I am shooting it at f/8..." :grin:
YES! Combine that with a MM246 in a special edition and it'd be boutique galore!

But that keyring... it's hideous and has 150 reasons not to touch it.

//Juha

Also gotta wonder if they're getting rid of access stock for a new Noctilux? JONO you holding out on us?
And now everybody is running to Jono's site to "exif peep" his latest photos for any really shallow dof photos with exif info removed. Let the speculations begin!

Nocti 50/0.95 APO Double Aspherical with improved coatings? ;-)

//Juha

jonoslack

Errr. . . I would be if I had anything to hold out about. What's wrong with the current Noctilux (apart from price etc.) why on earth would they be replacing it?

Actually, this stuff - it's not new - Leica have been doing special editions since before I was born, most of them in questionable taste. Presumably they make money out of it or they wouldn't do it. . . . and perhaps some of that money trickles back into R&D?

I can't see the problem - after all, one is definitely NOT forced to buy the stuff - or even look at it. It seems more appropriate to laugh at the people buying it than the people making it.

Nah - what the hell - let's laugh at both :)

Godfrey

I wonder who it was who thought a Noctilux where you couldn't read the aperture and depth of field was a grand idea?

Oh Well, I guess they'll sell 95 of them without too much trouble.
Or was that 0.95 of them? ... ;-)

As I said, I have no problem with all the silly special edition stuff. Presumably they do it because it aids marketing and visibility in a crowded market, and it might actually make them a little money. It certainly gets some attention and notoriety—see this thread and all the other 0.95 threads on every Leica forum since the announcement.

G

fotoism

I agree. It's one of the ways Leica makes money, why not?

However, a side effect is that this kind of marketing sometimes gives more ammunition to those who habitually blanket-brand Leica users as "idiots, snobs,....". Not that I care. Not a bit. Anyone calling names to others based only on the equipment used is him/herself an uneducated being anyways.

As long as Leica is still bringing out serious quality products, a few side-shows just add to the flavor.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Maybe the strategy is retail driven. There are quite a few Leica stores out there now. In many of those locations especially in SE Asia where brands are a big deal, many cannot afford a $12k lens. However, potential customers are sometimes looking for unique branded items to purchase as gifts or bribes. Having something that is available at a lower price point beyond a $250 battery might be an interesting experiment to bring in more sales to retail locations.

silver92b

Such "baubles" are beyond my means and probably only for the wealthiest of people who are aware of the Leica brand. In one respect, there is no need to criticize Leica for making and selling these things for whatever price the set. After all, they are in business to make money.. I imagine the prices are set based on cost of development and manufacture and whatever study they have made to determine the price point at which their wealthy customers will be interested in buying and just beyond the point where your average Leica customer can't really afford/justify the purchase :roll eyes:

It's is an obnoxious thing to read about and it definitely gives the disaffected Leica haters more ammunition to ridicule all Leica products... Oh well, there will be more haters in the forums and blogs railing against the Leica brand while the Leica accountants cry all the way to the bank LOL! Would I like to have such lens? Yes! of course. But will I ever buy this lens?... I don't see it in the horizon at all. The pen and key ring are plain stupid things for purely ostentatious purposes.

Maybe the strategy is retail driven. There are quite a few Leica stores out there now. In many of those locations especially in SE Asia where brands are a big deal, many cannot afford a $12k lens. However, potential customers are sometimes looking for unique branded items to purchase as gifts or bribes. Having something that is available at a lower price point beyond a $250 battery might be an interesting experiment to bring in more sales to retail locations.
First of all, totally agree (despite my earlier sarcasm) that it's good Leica is making money. And if they do it even more with special editions, it's all good - as long as they don't forget the normal products.

But specifically for the 0.95 products, I think the lens + lighter + pens are rather nice looking things, where the keyring is hideous. If you're going to charge 150usd for a keyring, it'd better look the part as well. Now it looks ugly, cheap & ridicules the rest of the 0.95 line. They could of fex made the keyring look like a UV/ND filter with 0.95 engraved to the side or have framelines in it to look like a view from a RF and the lens part being sapphire, so it'd be durable as well. Pretty much anything else than a cheap/fugly piece of metal coin.

So Special Editions good, ugly/ridiculous Special Edition accessories bad. Price should reflect quality & improve brand rather than lowball it.

//Juha