The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bargain quality ... 2x Extender-R!

Godfrey

I only rarely use lenses much longer than 180mm, and I already had two R 180mm lenses, but in a moment of shopping therapy I saw a Telyt-R 250mm f/4 (3cam) that seemed very clean and at a very low price. I bought it; when it arrived, I tested it and was astonished just how nice it is. You mean later version are even better performers? Amazing.

Anyway, I thought I was done ... Much as a 400 and 500 mm lens is impressive and fun to use very occasionally, I will never use that long a lens enough to spend real money for one. The Soligor 600mm f/8 mirror lens I bought in Nikon mount is pretty mediocre but works and cost me just $95. Couldn't really need anything more.

But then a discussion of R teleconverters came up. Piqued my curiosity ... I did an Ebay search and found 2x APO-Extender-R selling in the $350-$800 range (much more than I was willing to spend) and 2x Extender-R selling in the $150 plus or minus range. Hmm. Then I found one listing for the latter at $79. Double Hmm. Bought it... sigh.

It arrived yesterday, well-packed and in absolutely beautiful condition. I had to give it a try ... It was evening already so I assembled R Adapter M, tripod mount, Extender-R, and Elmar-R 180mm f/4 onto the M-P and tripod to do a little still-life shooting around the condo. The*lens setup is remarkably compact and light for a 360mm f/8. I coded it in-camera for an R 180mm f/3.4 and made this exposure wide-open:

Leica M-P + R Adapter M + 2x Extender-R + Elmar-R 180mm f/4
ISO 400 @ f/4 (f/8) @ 1/12 second

I have to say that really pleased me. I also made another exposure stopped down two stops (f/8, effective f/16), which nets a bit more DoF and slightly more even illumination center to corners.

If an 2x tele extender does this well, I can only imagine how well the APO version does. But this will do. Next: test the extender with the Telyt-R 250mm outdoors.

My lens kit for the SL just keeps getting better. :)

G

Godfrey

lovely!
please share your next example!
I might have posted this to this forum already, but where I am not sure:

Leica SL + Telyt-R 250mm f/4 + 2x Extender R
ISO 3200 @ f/16 (effective) @ 1/125

Taking the SL with Telyt-R 250 and 2x Extender-R out into the field, I realized that the tripod I was using was simply inadequate to the task. It was very tough trying to get the lens to stabilize after focusing, the image in the viewfinder was basically jumping all over the place for several seconds every time I touched it.

My other legs are much sturdier, but I need a different head to use this lens setup to best advantage. I've ordered an Acratech GP head and Universal L Bracket, which should improve stability very nicely.

G