The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SL shipping tomorrow in US

algrove

Got notice tomorrow is the day. After using the Q extensively this past week I do believe the SL might just fit into my AF needs.

Godfrey

I await a phone call today. Of course, I have picked up a miserable head cold over the weekend ... sigh.

G

algrove

Well, I use a MF cam for landscape and Leicas for street. So I decided I do not need the SL right now once the call came in. Maybe later. but not now.

Godfrey

And the unboxing videos ... :p
Unboxing videos would be singularly boring for the SL. Leica went stark, practical and business-like ... a pragmatic packaging for a serious work camera ... rather than doing their usual jewel-case-like fancy boxing that the M, X, and Q come in.

I think that the symbolism is significant.

However, the stark, simple design of the boxes is rather appealing in and of itself:

It makes a simple, bold statement.

Battery now charged. :)

G

Godfrey

One week after release day and picking up my SL: I'm thoroughly enjoying this camera! Even just in my learning/testing period, the camera has a feel and a quality to it that are unlike anything else I've been using.

I've been concentrating on using R lenses with it up until now, have barely touched the 24-90 or my M lenses. Its performance with R lenses is fantastic, from the 19mm to the 250mm, and the in-camera JPEGs are amazingly good straight off the storage card.

I have a short list of very minor things I'd like to see updated in the next firmware release. Nothing dramatic, just minor improvements.

If you have acquired an SL, how about it? I'd be interested to know what you think of it and what issues have come up for your use.

G

Erik

I'm enjoying the camera very much as well. The only complaint is the rather "Apple-like" finish in terms of being manufactured of solid aluminum. The material is a little soft is subject to marring much more easily than other pro-class bodies it's competing against.

In the long run it's a tool. The first ding was the hardest (just like a new car). I'm just saying that if it's designed as a pro tool, it should be able to stand up cosmetically to abuse better. Love the camera though!

One week after release day and picking up my SL: I'm thoroughly enjoying this camera! Even just in my learning/testing period, the camera has a feel and a quality to it that are unlike anything else I've been using.

I've been concentrating on using R lenses with it up until now, have barely touched the 24-90 or my M lenses. Its performance with R lenses is fantastic, from the 19mm to the 250mm, and the in-camera JPEGs are amazingly good straight off the storage card.

I have a short list of very minor things I'd like to see updated in the next firmware release. Nothing dramatic, just minor improvements.

If you have acquired an SL, how about it? I'd be interested to know what you think of it and what issues have come up for your use.

G

CameraWest WC had a shipment today. I went in with my MM (cracked sensor) and saw a pile of SL boxes on the floor, and one in a beautiful plexi display case for folks to handle. They welcome you to play with it.

Re: "...the camera has a feel and a quality to it that are unlike anything else I've been using" (Godfrey):

I had the same reaction until I remembered hefting a 4x5 Speed Graphic. It (the SL) felt OK with a wide M prime in T mount, but with the zoom it was much more than I'd care to handle. You're fortunate to have R lenses to use until Leica releases more primes.

Please start posting!

Kirk – who seems to have become old and frail

Godfrey

That sounds like the sort of really dumb firmware bug that might not be caught by a lab full of still photography folks, but will get fixed really FAST!
http://blog.planet5d.com/2015/11/from-leica-directly-heres-whats-happening-with-l-log-on-the-sl/

User error or expectations at odds with the implementation, it seems.
I haven't seen any 10bit video reviews yet.
It sounds like Leica is working on it, however.

It doesn't affect me or most of the other early buyers I've talked to since we're almost all still photographers. But it raises the question: How many in this community primarily want the SL for its video capabilities?

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It doesn't affect me or most of the other early buyers I've talked to since we're almost all still photographers. But it raises the question: How many in this community primarily want the SL for its video capabilities?

G
I would want the SL for both, recently I am doing some 75% stills and 25% video, so a FF mirrorless is just the perfect instrument for that.

It only affects the video if you are using the log profile. The regular profile works fine and is very sharp. I demo'd one last week. It was very impressive overall. I wish it was reduced all around by 15% though... That goes for the size, weight and price. It's a little big for my hands and I did get a little sore after shooting with it for over 9,000 straight frames in about an hour and a half and not putting it down once. Yes, 9,000 shots on one battery, and it still had two bars left on it! :shocked: I was doing a kind of time lapse/hyper lapse through a house, using live view and autofocus, but the rep and I were very pleasantly surprised that it got through the whole house on one battery. Which was good, because he didn't have a spare! If anyone has specific questions, I'll try to answer them. Other than the size, I don't see very many people who buy this camera, not falling in LOVE with it.