The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M[262]

V

Vivek

Jono, as a new product tester, you probably developed (or have it inherently) mechanisms to keep away from looks. It just works the other way around for me.

I am curious when metameric materials will yield that much sought after invisibility cloak. :)

Last edited:

Godfrey

Funny that, I've touted my M around France, China, Holland and Venice this year and only one person has mentioned it. that was on top of a mountain in Crete!
I've been carrying cameras of all different descriptions nearly anywhere I go for many years. Very few people ever seem to take note of even the fact that I have a camera, and far fewer than that that it might be a Leica or other fancy brand name. When they do, it usually takes me by surprise ... :)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Funny that, I've touted my M around France, China, Holland and Venice this year and only one person has mentioned it. that was on top of a mountain in Crete!
Was that because of your scrap of black tape and lack of a red dot? Your absence from the forums here for the three months was fairly conspicuous.

scott

jaree

No live-view = keep adjusting the RF mechanism and guesswork when using Summiluxes wide open. No-go. For me.

scott kirkpatrick

I've been carrying cameras of all different descriptions nearly anywhere I go for many years. Very few people ever seem to take note of even the fact that I have a camera, and far fewer than that that it might be a Leica or other fancy brand name. When they do, it usually takes me by surprise ... :)

G
I have the same experience. Although with the Leicas I'm likely to be asked if it uses film.

scott

jaree

I would have believed it too. My experience tells me otherwise. Even if I am not shooting, the mere glimpse of an M (even the MM without the red dot) catches the attention of one and all and pretty much anywhere in this world.
+ 1. When carrying my M9, I have been stopped in NYC by folks asking me if that is a film camera. This is in a city where cameras of all shapes and form abound. Mostly young females, one of whom insisted that I take pictures of her with my M9 and asked for my phone #.....:cool:

In San Fran, a group of Jazz musicians remarked how wonderful it is to have a camera like the M9. No one ever asked me about my A7 so far - the only time someone spoke to me when carrying a Sony happened when I had a Nex-7 with 50'Lux (the guy wanted to know more about the lens).

And then this female who bought a Canon 6D. I told her "nice camera". She screamed "Nothing is better than a Leica". I am not making it up.

jonoslack

Was that because of your scrap of black tape and lack of a red dot? Your absence from the forums here for the three months was fairly conspicuous.

scott
Hi Scott
I don't tape up cameras normally, but I thought the SL was a bit obvious. Nobody gave it a second glance though.

jonoslack

I handled a 262 in Wetzlar a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was lovely, noticeably lighter, love the notch and the black chrome. If I didn't sometimes like to use LV with wides I'd be very tempted.

I'm sure it'll make lots of people very happy

iiiNelson

- - - Updated - - -

Same sensor as the M240
Thanks for the reply Jono... That's unfortunate for me. I guess I'll have to pass on this one since it's the same sensor as the M240.

fotoism

With the aluminium top instead of brass I supposed Leica is not going to make a Lenny Kravitz edition out of the M262? :p

Duane Pandorf

With the aluminium top instead of brass I supposed Leica is not going to make a Lenny Kravitz edition out of the M262? :p
1-2 years out you'll be able to buy an updated top that already looks brassed as a special edition!

Btw, this one just got moved to the top of my wants.

DougDolde

I'd buy the new Sony RX1R II way before this. Less moola, serious megapixels, and comes with a nice lens !

D&A

My suspicion is that it's CMOSIS. ISO cut off is 6400, just like the M240.

If this was the new sensor, they'd be talking about ISO 50,000....I suspect that they are saving this sensor (or its variant) for the next M....

Like Tre, this camera would very much interest me if it were the new sensor, rather than the re-boot of the M240 sensor.
Precisely Ashwin. If they used the Q (or possibly SL) sensor, this would be an interesting but unexpected development of what appears to me to be the CMOS equivelent of the Leica M-E. but with the M240 CMOS sensor. For those who prefer the M9 type output, even the operational advances of this new camera may not be enough to convience them to give up their M9.

Dave (D&A)

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Leica M[262] or M-E[262]

I think somebody at Leica must have been thinking of the Messerschmidt analogy. Otherwise they would have chosen a smaller model number since it has reduced function from the 240 base, or a number ending in 0 since it is so "wesentlich." I wonder what its code name was? "Max" for the SL indicated its objective well. I thought "Sartre" fitted the late summer marketing mysts pretty well, and in fact is a better match for the 262 than the 601. But Jono tells me that code names are now under the NDA, and "Max" must have slipped out by accident.

But, distinguishing this M-E[262] from its illustrious predecessor is easy. Upper management positioning shows a real understanding of the camera's potential value. With the jet, (Wikpedia tells me), Willi Messerschmidt was reluctant to take resources away from his propeller-driven fighters, and upper management (G-----g and H----r) thought its incredible speed made it a long-range bomber when it was in fact a deadly bomber-killer at the time of Dresden, but a sitting duck, because of its poor acceleration and speed, when at altitudes below 20,000'. As a result it was more appreciated when the war had ended. I'd love to see one, wouldn't want to fly it.

scott

barjohn

Like many things in life, products follow a bell curve for their life cycle. It is a common marketing strategy to try and extend the tail by introducing mildly modified versions of a product to wring the last few dollars from a product before its demise. We all know that Leica will be introducing a new M in 2016 but they need to get as much out of the old technology as possible before the new product comes on line and generates the new revenue stream. They intentionally left out any real new technology such as the Q/SL sensor, or a slimmer body or digital RF in order to not cannibalize Q/SL sales or new M sales should the new model incorporate the same sensor and changed body or RF mechanism.

Nothing wrong with this strategy from a company's point of view but for the consumer that shells out this kind of money, it can be a costly mistake not to wait.

V

Vivek

Nothing wrong with this strategy from a company's point of view but for the consumer that shells out this kind of money, it can be a costly mistake not to wait.
And this is the "cheaper" version! :bugeyes:

+ 1.

And then this female who bought a Canon 6D. I told her "nice camera". She screamed "Nothing is better than a Leica". I am not making it up.
Yup, reality is such! :)