The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M[262]

Ken_R

Re: Leica M[262] - Shutter sound examples anywhere?

Hi all,

Has anyone heard the shutter sound on this new model, or is there any videos online comparing it? This is one feature that would interest me, but I haven't heard (pun intended) anything on line about the actual noise/sound. How quiet is quiet on this one...

thanks all,
Dave
+1

D&A

Marc,

I too have noticed a so called mellowing with age with regards to the M240 and its file output, most notably its color pallet. I was right in line with you regarding the vocal nature of critisizing the M240 as compared to the M9. Whether attributed to thr CCD vs CMOS issue or a combination of components, the differences were notable to some.

I think firmware updates to the M240 have gone a long way towards addressing this issue although in there are still sitiations where the "old M240" rears its head (left out the word "ugly", as it would be too strong of word descriptively. These positive changed in the M240 along with this new model, goes along way towards taking the plunge into the M240 platform.

Dave (D&A)

airfrogusmc

Picked up the M 262 this past Friday.

So far it is everything I hoped that Leica wold release. I also grabbed a 90 cron (1980-1998 IIRC)

Along side my original MM

Seascape

Marc,

I too have noticed a so called mellowing with age with regards to the M240 and its file output, most notably its color pallet. I was right in line with you regarding the vocal nature of critisizing the M240 as compared to the M9. Whether attributed to thr CCD vs CMOS issue or a combination of components, the differences were notable to some.

I think firmware updates to the M240 have gone a long way towards addressing this issue although in there are still sitiations where the "old M240" rears its head (left out the word "ugly", as it would be too strong of word descriptively. These positive changed in the M240 along with this new model, goes along way towards taking the plunge into the M240 platform.

Dave (D&A)
Initially I had concerns about the the colour pallet of the M240, but all that changed when I started using Capture One Pro Ver.8 (ver.9 is the most recent edition).
Using C1 Pro provides image quality that is absolutely superb, highly recommended :thumbs:

airfrogusmc

A couple of environmental portraits with the new 262 and Lux FLE wide open. Still haven't seen the crappy bokeh form this lens some say it has. Is it as good as a Canon 200 2L or even the 90 cron? No way but again it is better than most 35mm lenses I have shot with. And it's insanely sharp. Even wide open.

airfrogusmc

current Leica lineup from left to rt M 262 35 lux FLE, M-E 90 cron (mid 1990s I think) and original MM and 35 2.8 biogon

JohnBrew

As an holdout who still use the M9, I would definitely get this instead of the M240. I guess the frankenfinder will still have its use!
Well, I wasn't a holdout, but I wish I had been. I'm actually pretty disgusted with the performance of my M-P. In fact, I want my M8.2 back!

xdayv

Well, I wasn't a holdout, but I wish I had been. I'm actually pretty disgusted with the performance of my M-P. In fact, I want my M8.2 back!
John, interested to know about your experience with the M-P. Since the M262 is a scaled-down version of the M-P/240...

Hosermage

This is almost too good to be true. I have seriously thought about the M60, greatly encouraged when 262 was introduced, and now I will soon have to put money where my mouth is. The only thing that will hold me back is the looming new model that should come later this year.

What could be better? Imagine a M-D typ 246... WHAt??

xdayv

This is almost too good to be true. I have seriously thought about the M60, greatly encouraged when 262 was introduced, and now I will soon have to put money where my mouth is. The only thing that will hold me back is the looming new model that should come later this year.

What could be better? Imagine a M-D typ 246... WHAt??
Are you not going for the kill with the Typ 262?

Hosermage

Are you not going for the kill with the Typ 262?
Hehe... I guess the REAL problem is that if I'm honest about where I am with my photography, the M9 is more than enough for me.

There are many ways to spend $3000 to $4000 right now: a used lens, a nice m6/m7, used M240, used MM9. I doubt the new M-D will fall into that range, but if I was to get it, it should be an easy transition since I only use the backscreen for menu settings (quick format SD card and change ISO).

JohnBrew

John, interested to know about your experience with the M-P. Since the M262 is a scaled-down version of the M-P/240...
Sorry to respond so late, Dave - missed your post. I've had my M-P for well over a year now. The color is ok but I prefer CCD color. It's probably just me seeing differently than most. The noise gets really ugly at higher ISO's so where is the advantage? I prefer the more film-like noise of the CCD. I've pegged ISO 1250 as high as I want to go for my preferences. I recently vacationed in the Caribbean and had to toss almost all my night shots due to noise. Once again, it's probably me, but I have had very poor success in opening up shadows with the M-P. All that happens is the noise gets quite ugly. It does protect highlights almost too well and I now use EV+.3 most of the time.
As to thinking of the M262 as a better option: I've read where the M (240) is only a bit larger/heavier, but it certainly doesn't handle like one of the CCD models. I seem to feel every 1/100th of an ounce gain. The larger battery may be responsible, but the battery is one of the few things I think is a huge improvement. I used to take three batteries and a charger whenever I traveled with my M8, M8.2 or M9-P. The trip to the Caribbean was nine days and I didn't charge the battery once! Finally, I must say I've used the live view only once when sampling a 135 APO and I've never touched the movie mode so for me those additions are worthless. I'll keep the M-P (Lord, those things depreciate quickly!) just because I need an M, but am sorry I sold my M8.2 and will be looking for another one. I've learned that it's not ALL about megapixels.

M

mjr

Hi John

Just reading your post so thought I'd offer a suggestion, I think I read another post you made somewhere else about high ISO noise on shots of a couple of seconds? I teach a lot of people to shoot aurora and night sky stuff and how high ISO works on the S and very possibly on your M depends greatly on the shutter speed. Handholdable shutter speeds then I can crank up the ISO, especially if there is still a reasonable amount of light, but as soon as it's multi-second shots that goes out of the window as you have seen. Have you tried using a maximum of ISO800 and shooting longer? In my many experiments, ISO800 pushed in post is far cleaner than anything higher, again this is with the S so not entirely sure it translates but worth a try. On a tripod, even an 8 second exposure at ISO 800 is better than a 2 second exposure at 1600 or higher, there is also loads of room to push in post. Although I don't have an M, it may be worth an hour of experimenting to see how that works for you? I have found anything over ISO800 is reserved for reasonable light where I want a faster shutter speed.

Mat

JohnBrew

Hi Mat, good of you to respond. What you say I believe to be true, however, on this vacation I didn't take a tripod so I was trying to get the shutter speed up by raising the ISO. Unfortunately ISO 800 didn't allow for near fast enough shutter speed hand held. At 1250 I ended up adding an EV+2 and was still at 1/2 sec. I did post an image I made at ISO3200 with the camera set on a concrete wall and a 2 sec. shutter speed. At any degree of enlargement the banding noise in the shadows was unacceptable. And I find Leica's noise reduction to be ineffective. Wish it worked as well as my D810. Maybe I need a Noct? or Not! :D

I apologize for going off-topic but perhaps this high ISO experience is worth while?

Last edited: