The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M[262]

airfrogusmc

I have found the 262 is very good at 3200 ISO.

I do like the M-E a lot more than I thought I would but the 262 is just insanely good.

At 1250 I ended up adding an EV+2 and was still at 1/2 sec.
Adjusting EV isn't the way to fix things in camera the way you're thinking. What you did with +2 EV in camera is in fact the opposite to what you wanted. In effect you basically fooled the camera to expose same time, as it would on ISO320 in automatic mode. In camera EV comp is just correction for meter value.

What you can do instead is "drag the shutter", so deliberately shoot fex 2 stops under exposed and then fix it in post by pushing 2 stops. In this case ISO1250 and -2 EV, for shorter shutter speed. Some say this gives better results than higher iso in camera.

In any case This for sure isn't ideal, but if it's the matter of getting a shot or not..

//Juha

Visited botanical gardens today with my family + my parents, this time equipped with M typ 262 and 75 Summicron. No flash, all hand held and horrible mixture of lighting, including some Led's consisting or 3 different color "bulbs" aimed at the flowers.

Some flower shots and in the last one my wife, daughter and "grandpa" checking out what my daughter has captured with her little Sony. She's couple of days shy from being 5 years old.

Needless to say, we had a great couple of hours together.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rayyan

With old age, I am looking more backward...than forward.

I expect to be taking a pleasure trip shortly.

I shall be taking two cameras with me. The best two digital cameras that I have ever owned....Nikon D700 and the Leica M8. And 3 lenses.

They have given me the most pleasure.

On this trip, I only want my trusted friends to accompany me.

Maybe, just maybe, one of us doesn't make it back....such is life.

Let's see if the mojo is still there....

Auni

Just for what is is worth, the last change to the M color was in October 2013 FW update 2.0.0.11. I'm glad that Mark, D&A and others feel the color has improved through time and mellowed, but it has been the same for almost 3 years.

2.0.0.11 was the first upgrade for the M firmware and it addressed the AWB issues everyone was having. But, glad everyone likes the color.

Godfrey

Morning walk as bright sun rises, elevating textures and shapes from their mundane places.

Leica M-D + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 400 @ f/9.5 @ 1/180 @ 21mm

enjoy!
G

airfrogusmc

A good friend of mine gave me this. It was his fathers.

Leitz Canada 65mm 3.5 Elmar and Leitz Wetzlar close up bellows and focus chimney.

My MM

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Full Circle ....

My first Leica RF was 1984 .... have had most of the digital M cameras ... moved to the S and after some disappointing hardware issues dropped that as I planned to move to the H X1D. But after the recent delays and
potential for non-AF with HC lenses on the adapter I decided to simplify a bit. Probably due to the wonderful Leica Q ... best travel camera I have had.

So a couple of pictures as I test the camera ... upgrade firmware and try to get date and time sorted.

Leica M-D 50 APO Summicron

I absolutely love the format and the optical RF is for me an old friend ... EVFs have an uphill progression to match the
RF for me. And really its all about the glass ..... :toocool:

At this point in my life less is more .... bye bye H X1D.

Thanks,

Bob

Paratom

Hi Bob,
I also come back to Rangefinder all the time. Its a very simple and direct way of photography. To simplify even more I will exchange my type 240 with a M262 (but the one with display). I know not many would do this but I am looking forward to the somewhat lower weight and less buttons.
Enjoy your new camera!
Best, Tom

Full Circle ....

My first Leica RF was 1984 .... have had most of the digital M cameras ... moved to the S and after some disappointing hardware issues dropped that as I planned to move to the H X1D. But after the recent delays and
potential for non-AF with HC lenses on the adapter I decided to simplify a bit. Probably due to the wonderful Leica Q ... best travel camera I have had.

So a couple of pictures as I test the camera ... upgrade firmware and try to get date and time sorted.

I absolutely love the format and the optical RF is for me an old friend ... EVFs have an uphill progression to match the
RF for me. And really its all about the glass ..... :toocool:

At this point in my life less is more .... bye bye H X1D.

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

I am very pleased with the sensor and lens combination of the M-D and 50 APO Cron. Very clean colors that are realistic and the files hold up
well in post.

A couple in platinum tone ....

And a couple in color ....

Thanks,

Bob

Paratom

Bob,
how you get along with the user interface?
I mean one thing is being "liberated" from menues etc.
But if you want to set one of the few options, isnt it more complicated?
DO you miss checking the exposure in tricky situations?

I mean I have decided for the M262 version with display, but of course the MD is even more puristic.

docmoore

There is little to set on the camera and it takes a couple of tries to figure out the time part of the date and time.

Once you learn to read the LEDs it is very simple. And when shooting the only choice button wise is EC.

Exposure compensation is very straightforward and the buttons are perfectly placed for me. You press the function button
next to the shutter release and dial up or down with the wheel just under the function button.

Exposure in mixed lighting becomes a series of choices which quickly become intuitive ... panning the camera you can
see the range of light values and then choose what you think will be appropriate ... whenever it is extreme I will bracket
a couple of values. I tend to underexpose ... almost always have -0.3 set in "normal" lighting. I normally will point the camera a
bit towards the ground if there is a major amount of backlight scene and set the exposure lock with half press on the shutter, recompose
and expose ... then I will add +1 EC as a buffer ... usually one of those is close.

The camera is so simple straightforward and holdable that I do not miss the screen ... did not chimp a lot the majority of the time
with my other cameras. The feeling of the camera is so different without the glass and buttons on the back. The ISO wheel is very
stiff ... I remember on my M6/M7s the wheel would not stay set ... this one does not move unless you want it to change. It is a
two finger move.

Most of what we call difficult lighting becomes a series of choices and then attempts in post to portray the scene as we perceived it.

Here is a shot the would be corrected with difficulty ... and I was pleased it was usable.

I tend to use blue sky or grass as a gray card for exposure when things are really difficult. I have the original Lumu for
iPhone and am awaiting their new power meter and color meter insert. Have a decent light meter but always have my phone
nearby. Just lazy ... I assume that it will see more use in the coming years for that 10% of pictures that I do not want to chance
missing.

Regards,

Bob

Paratom

There is little to set on the camera and it takes a couple of tries to figure out the time part of the date and time.

Once you learn to read the LEDs it is very simple. And when shooting the only choice button wise is EC.

Exposure compensation is very straightforward and the buttons are perfectly placed for me. You press the function button
next to the shutter release and dial up or down with the wheel just under the function button.

Exposure in mixed lighting becomes a series of choices which quickly become intuitive ... panning the camera you can
see the range of light values and then choose what you think will be appropriate ... whenever it is extreme I will bracket
a couple of values. I tend to underexpose ... almost always have -0.3 set in "normal" lighting. I normally will point the camera a
bit towards the ground if there is a major amount of backlight scene and set the exposure lock with half press on the shutter, recompose
and expose ... then I will add +1 EC as a buffer ... usually one of those is close.

The camera is so simple straightforward and holdable that I do not miss the screen ... did not chimp a lot the majority of the time
with my other cameras. The feeling of the camera is so different without the glass and buttons on the back. The ISO wheel is very
stiff ... I remember on my M6/M7s the wheel would not stay set ... this one does not move unless you want it to change. It is a
two finger move.

Most of what we call difficult lighting becomes a series of choices and then attempts in post to portray the scene as we perceived it.

Here is a shot the would be corrected with difficulty ... and I was pleased it was usable.

I tend to use blue sky or grass as a gray card for exposure when things are really difficult. I have the original Lumu for
iPhone and am awaiting their new power meter and color meter insert. Have a decent light meter but always have my phone
nearby. Just lazy ... I assume that it will see more use in the coming years for that 10% of pictures that I do not want to chance
missing.

Regards,

Bob
Sounds good! Enjoy your new camera. I am looking forward to receive my "normal" 262 next week.