The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm Summicron v Summilux

ReeRay

I have a very sharp Summicron V4 which has served me well for some years now.

Now I have an offer to acquire a late version Summilux at a good price.

Question. What, if any, advantage would I see over and above the the obvious gain of 1 stop?

Thank you for any input

Ray

P.s using an M240 and M6TTL

Ken_R

Question. What, if any, advantage would I see over and above the the obvious gain of 1 stop?

Thank you for any input

Ray

...the Summilux works great at f2 as well :cool:

I would buy it :thumbs:

ramosa

Size, speed, price: those are the differences.

I had a cron, gave it up to get the lux, but later returned to the cron. If you're not going to be shooting wide open an awful lot at 1.4, the cron is definitely the way to go. The cron's size and weight are ideal IMO.

JohnBrew

I've had 'Cron V3 & V4, even a Summarit, come to think of it! Currently I shoot a Lux ASPH. If you shoot in dark areas or at night, you need the Lux. Some think the bokeh of the Lux is essential. Other than that the Cron is a super lens in it's own right and to boot it's lighter and (I think) handles better. (But I wouldn't return to it)

Paratom

Thank you for any input

Ray

My experience is that my Summilux asph draws a little warmer/with more red than the Summicron.
For use on the M240 I even prefer the Summicron. But I guess its a matter of taste.

uhoh7

The 50/2 v4+ is only superior in close up and in size, otherwise the 50 Lux is the better lens.

That cron design is now 20+ years old, and while it's my main 50 today, I would take a 50 lux asph over it in a minute.

Well, wait a minute. You shoot the 240, where the lens is perhaps over corrected, on the M6 and M9 it's a no-brainer, but maybe on the 240 it's a harder choice.

ReeRay

Thanks guys for your input which has been a great help.

Decision time now and I have a weeks loan to evaluate.

seakayaker

FWIW - I have a lux asph and use it quite a bit, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I like the 50 focal length and also use a Voigtlander Norton 50/1.5, a Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar, and a Leitz Wetzlar Summitar 5 cm f/2. One of these days I may pick up the Cron, depends on right time and if the money is available of course.

Good luck with your decision.

MCTuomey

Well, wait a minute. You shoot the 240, where the lens is perhaps over corrected, on the M6 and M9 it's a no-brainer, but maybe on the 240 it's a harder choice.
I would not describe the 50 ASPH on the 240 as over-corrected. Still vignettes attractively (to me) wide open, still has that crazy fullness at wide apertures it had on the M9. Have to say though that the 50 ASPH was imho made for the M9. Wondrous match.

Would only choose the Cron for its size and handling, I think. Would like to try that summitar Dan mentioned to see what kind of vintage look I could get, that'd be interesting.

jonoslack

Well, I just think the 50 'lux is the greatest lens - not perhaps as sharp as the APO or as fast as the Noctilux (but cheaper than both). Lovely feel and bokeh.
I just love it, and it would be the last to go if I had to have one lens.

best

If you've ever had flare or internal-reflection issues with the cron, the lux will be a nice improvement. I had a v5 cron I could never completely trust even after a matte-black reprint of the inner mount surfaces by Leica. I completely trust my lux ASPH. However, the focus feel did benefit greatly from a trip to DAG. Don told me that Leica used the wrong (his view) lubricant for the helical, causing it to "pinch" when one tries to make small adjustments. He relubed with a traditional Leica lube and it has been perfect since.

Ibramr

Update. Thanks to all for your input. I bought the lens. 9 months old @ $2,200. Very impressed.
Congrats, and enjoy in good health. But, post pictures of the new acquisition, and the first three shots you took with it, or it never happened. Regards.

asiafish

Update. Thanks to all for your input. I bought the lens. 9 months old @ $2,200. Very impressed.
I was in much the same boat. I enjoyed th 50 Cron v5 for about three years on my M Monochrom, M-E and M5 and thought I'd keep it forever as m u standard lens, then found a gently used 50 Lux ASPH for $2200 and had to try it.

The Cron was sold soon after.

Th 50 Lux is clearly better at all apertures from 1.5 meters and close enough up close to not make much difference. This is a. Really great lens.

hasselbladfan

As long as you have not used the Lux, the Cron is a great lens. Great price, small, great sharpness and contrast as of f/2.8. Great beginners lens, but .....

.... once you tried the 50 Lux, always 50 Lux.

My Cron is also for sale.

Paratom

I dont doubt your guys preference but mine is the opposite. The only advantage I see in the Lux is f1.4, everything else, at least on the M type240, I prefer the 50 Summicron. The APO -for my taste- is even better but thats an unfair comparison.

asiafish

Well, I just think the 50 'lux is the greatest lens - not perhaps as sharp as the APO or as fast as the Noctilux (but cheaper than both). Lovely feel and bokeh.
I just love it, and it would be the last to go if I had to have one lens.

best
Now that I've had the 50 LUX for a few months I completely agree; marvelous lens.