The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S007 compressed DNG files ?

anGy

* Sony a7RII Compressed RAW are approximately 41 Mb
* Sony a7RII Uncompressed RAW are approximately 81.6 Mb
* Leica S2 DNG are approximately 75 Mb
* Leica S007 DNG are approximately 44 Mb

Is it a 'cmos sensor' thing ?
Pardon my ignorance but I don't get it, why are those S007 files that 'light' ?
(Am maybe missing a camera setting...)

Paratom

* Sony a7RII Compressed RAW are approximately 41 Mb
* Sony a7RII Uncompressed RAW are approximately 81.6 Mb
* Leica S2 DNG are approximately 75 Mb
* Leica S007 DNG are approximately 44 Mb

Is it a 'cmos sensor' thing ?
Pardon my ignorance but I don't get it, why are those S007 files that 'light' ?
(Am maybe missing a camera setting...)
Maybe noise takes space? just kidding. I am interested as well. Even though so far I have not heard from people seeing any problems with S007 files which could be based on compression.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The S2 had an option for compressed or uncompressed DNG files. This led to confusion as many thought that the uncompressed files offered better quality, which was not true. The compression used in the S2 and S006 is lossless. This is easily tested by looking at the file sizes of compressed images of different subjects. They are all different. With lossy compression, the file size is always the same, regardless of subject matter.

There is no advantage to shooting uncompressed DNG on an S. The camera shoots less frames before hitting the buffer. Images take longer to record to memory cards. Loading images into your computer take longer and the files take up unnecessary space.

On the S007, Leica decided (smartly, I think) to reduce confusion and eliminate the choice and only store the DNGs with lossless compression.

Make sense?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The S2 had an option for compressed or uncompressed DNG files. This led to confusion as many thought that the uncompressed files offered better quality, which was not true. The compression used in the S2 and S006 is lossless. This is easily tested by looking at the file sizes of compressed images of different subjects. They are all different. With lossy compression, the file size is always the same, regardless of subject matter.

There is no advantage to shooting uncompressed DNG on an S. The camera shoots less frames before hitting the buffer. Images take longer to record to memory cards. Loading images into your computer take longer and the files take up unnecessary space.

On the S007, Leica decided (smartly, I think) to reduce confusion and eliminate the choice and only store the DNGs with lossless compression.

Make sense?
Of course ...

Nice to have your knowledge and input to this confusing issue.

Regards,

Bob Moore

anGy

Make sense?
Hi David,
Thank you for this cristal clear explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

I currently have issues with my S007 (lines of hot pixels fully crossing the sensor). I first has only 1 corrupted line (always the same). Now I have 3. Sometimes on just 1 photo (photo #2 on a set of 12), sometimes on several pictures during a same shoot.
It looks like a mapping issue, or maybe corrupted data during compression of the file, I don't know, just speculating as I'm still waiting for the Leica support to wake-up...

Stuart Richardson

Hi David,
Thank you for this cristal clear explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

I currently have issues with my S007 (lines of hot pixels fully crossing the sensor). I first has only 1 corrupted line (always the same). Now I have 3. Sometimes on just 1 photo (photo #2 on a set of 12), sometimes on several pictures during a same shoot.
It looks like a mapping issue, or maybe corrupted data during compression of the file, I don't know, just speculating as I'm still waiting for the Leica support to wake-up...
That is a classic issue...one broken pixel causing a whole line a pixels to misbehave. If you call Leica or your dealer they will be able to help you. You might not need to send the camera in...not sure how Leica is handling it now. The fix is to map it out, as you guessed.