The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q problem

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hiya,

A quick question: in the Auto ISO section of the Menu, I select 1/15th as the maximum exposure time when shooting in Aperture Priority mode but I can't get the camera ever to choose a shutter speed of under 1/60th - it merely raises ISO. Is this a bug or am I being stupid? Can someone else who has one kindly try the same thing? I am on FW 1.1...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Will check tomorrow
Thanks! I think I've figured out that it tries to keep a shutter speed of 1/60th while it has room, according to the max ISO you've set, preferring to raise ISO first and then when it hits that limit, allows shutter speed to drop. So I've solved it by reducing the max ISO to 3200, which forces the shutter speed down rather than the ISO up. Undocumented but that seems to be it.

Goes to the heart of the Leica / Sony difference: Leica keeps it simple and pure but reduces choices, Sony throws every possible option at you.

biglouis

Goes to the heart of the Leica / Sony difference: Leica keeps it simple and pure but reduces choices, Sony throws every possible option at you.
It seems strange to like a camera with fewer options but I must say I find it refreshing.

I have never successfully got my Sony A7R or A7S to support auto-iso - or at least I gave up trying.

The Leica Q worked perfectly from day one.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Never used auto ISO until I got the RX1R II. Have been using it since day 1. Fabulous.

tashley

Subscriber Member
It seems strange to like a camera with fewer options but I must say I find it refreshing.

I have never successfully got my Sony A7R or A7S to support auto-iso - or at least I gave up trying.

The Leica Q worked perfectly from day one.

LouisB
Auto ISO on the A7x series is GREAT!

biglouis

Auto ISO on the A7x series is GREAT!
Really? I checked it again today and on my A7S I have to work in manual mode setting a speed in order to get it to use anything other than 1/60th in auto-iso mode. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I can't find an option in my A7S menu to set a minimum auto-iso speed like I can in the Q menu.

What am I missing?

LouisB

V

Vivek

Louis, AFAIK, its implementation in RX1R II is so different to the extent that it is actually useful. :)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Really? I checked it again today and on my A7S I have to work in manual mode setting a speed in order to get it to use anything other than 1/60th in auto-iso mode. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I can't find an option in my A7S menu to set a minimum auto-iso speed like I can in the Q menu.

What am I missing?

LouisB
Louis, I can't remember my S because I sold it a while back but I think it's about the same as the A7RII, which lets you set a max an min ISO for the range within which AUTO will operate, and which has the behaviour of dropping shutter speed to the slowest you have specified before raising ISO at all - which is the sensible way to do it. That slowest speed is determined on a relative scale between slower, slow, normal, fast and faster (something like that) which then take account of the focal length of the lens. For example, in A mode, I just set mine to Slower with the 35mm F2.8 attached and it allowed shutter speed to drop to 1/15th before raising ISO.

That is IMHO a no brainer, and clearly what the Q should be doing. I shot a number of christmas family shots last night at 1/15th handheld using Manual mode and they were all perfectly sharp.

Viramati

Louis is right as all the A7 series have the min auto ISO limited to 1/60th or the equivelant focal length when long4r than 50mm (FE90 macro is 1/100th) apart from the A7rII and A7sII. It is really somewhat absurd that Sony have offered a decent iteration of auto-ISO in a firmware upgrade but het that's Sony for you they just want you to buy a new model