The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two different views on the Leica SL

Paratom

Things change for the better. ;)

I don't have the A7r II but have the RX1R II (similar tech) and it is pretty good. The AF (PDAF) is so good that I do not use manual focus (for the first time) at all!

The SL will mature in years to come, no doubt about that. :)

I glanced through another forum and one of the mods there is claiming that the 24mp resolves more than 42mp and is getting slammed by some of the participants there.

Can anyone here support that claim (24 Leica is sharper than 42 Sony)?
I once had a Rx1 and found the Color better than that of the A7.
I have high doubts that the SL 24MP would outresolve a 42mp sensor (when an appropriate lens is used) but I have not checked myself.
I know that the 36MP from the Leica S outresolve the SL, so I assume the RX1RII or a A7RII with a good lens would outresolve the SL (at least if one goes up to a certain print size).

On the other side, if you mean S.H. than we all know that he is sometimes a Little enthusiastic about new cameras.

Paratom

I did not. But it seems he is not alone. :shocked:

Took Back my SL - Leica SL System - Leica Forum

Enjoy! :)

PS: It brought back memories of strikingly similar arguments in favor of the 10MP M8. People were printing out METER long pictures from it. ;)
Ah, I see, allready 2 people who believe 24MP outresolves 36MP.
And then there is one who found out 36MP outresolve 24MP but who first needed to buy a 24MP camera to find out.
Others know that the SL is too low resolution for their prints without having done any print.
Some feel the 50mm AF f/1.4 and the 28-70 f/2.8 AFS are "remarkable" lenses, others put manual focus Zeiss lenses on the D810.

So what do I learn?
The SL is a low resolution camera, the color is the same like Sony, the remarkable Nikon 24-70/2.8 is at least as good as the Leica 24-90, and then there is the remarkable 50/1.4 Nikon AF lens, the sensor in the M type 240 is outdated, and you can not do good looking prints from a M8 because it just has 10MP, and -big surprise-there are many people in the Leica forum who do like Leica cameras.:loco:

Knorp

Ah, I see, allready 2 people who believe 24MP outresolves 36MP.
And then there is one who found out 36MP outresolve 24MP but who first needed to buy a 24MP camera to find out.
Others know that the SL is too low resolution for their prints without having done any print.
Some feel the 50mm AF f/1.4 and the 28-70 f/2.8 AFS are "remarkable" lenses, others put manual focus Zeiss lenses on the D810.

So what do I learn?
The SL is a low resolution camera, the color is the same like Sony, the remarkable Nikon 24-70/2.8 is at least as good as the Leica 24-90, and then there is the remarkable 50/1.4 Nikon AF lens, the sensor in the M type 240 is outdated, and you can not do good looking prints from a M8 because it just has 10MP, and -big surprise-there are many people in the Leica forum who do like Leica cameras.:loco:
Hope it doesn't spoil your fun with the SL, Tom.
I still believe it's an awesome camera.

Kind regards.

stephengilbert

The color is the same as Sony?

What I learned is that the color is the same as Sony or perhaps different than Sony.

Also, I suspect that 24 is more than 42, but less than 18.

Paratom

Hope it doesn't spoil your fun with the SL, Tom.
I still believe it's an awesome camera.

Kind regards.
Oh,
it doesnt have any negative or positive influence on my fun with the camera.
But here is my honest opinion:
Either my perception has changed over the years or the substance in many threads has decreased from a informative, enjoying character (still with critical aspects as well), to a very theoretical one, focused on negative aspects. As a Leica user I am used to comments that Leicas are overprized luxury products for rich people. I can live with it because I believe in what I see with my eyes.
However the heavily increasing use of the word "outdated" , optical viewfinders are outdated, sensors of D5 is outdated allready today as I have learned in forums, etc. etc. have an influence on the fun I have spending time in the forums.
Then there are the "the camera x is 80g hevier than the camera y and hurts my back" etc. etc.
Frienkly most brands today offer excellent cameras, so many things are a matter of personal taste and expectations.
There are still threads which have a lot of value for me, but they become less.
And again, I dont know if it is me or the development how the internet and the forums develop.

stephengilbert

"Either my perception has changed over the years or the substance in many threads has decreased from a informative, enjoying character (still with critical aspects as well), to a very theoretical one, focused on negative aspects."

I don't think it's you that's changed.

erudolph

Short and to the point: went to the Leica Store on an overcast day in SF today and spent half an hour with the SL, admittedly not long, but enough to come away with a good first impression. The body felt great. With the 24-90 (without shade) the whole did not seem out of proportion. With a 50mm Summicron mounted via the M-T adapter, the balance was fine. An initial look at the files in LR 6.3, they seem fine, with too much push in the highlights for my taste. All in all, very enjoyable.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Back to this thread and ...

SO much drama ... about a little camera.

Here is the deal ... IMHO ... like it then shoot it into the ground. Make it work and spend a bit more time making
pictures than defending them.

Don't like it ... OK great ... take your little Eurydice camera and spend a bit more time making pictures.

Everytime a new box is unveiled the wailing starts.

There has been a dearth of posts relating to photography and a surfeit of art.

If you got the best box prove ... show us something.

Bob

JorisV

Either my perception has changed over the years or the substance in many threads has decreased from a informative, enjoying character (still with critical aspects as well), to a very theoretical one, focused on negative aspects.
Unfortunately your analysis is spot on...

PeterA

Back to this thread and ...

SO much drama ... about a little camera.

Here is the deal ... IMHO ... like it then shoot it into the ground. Make it work and spend a bit more time making
pictures than defending them.

Don't like it ... OK great ... take your little Eurydice camera and spend a bit more time making pictures.

Everytime a new box is unveiled the wailing starts.

There has been a dearth of posts relating to photography and a surfeit of art.

If you got the best box prove ... show us something.

Bob
What you mean a photography forum should have more focus and interest in photographs of quality?

Don't be ridiculous young man!!

This forum has become 'lets laugh at Leica and those people who bought one.

k-hawinkler

What you mean a photography forum should have more focus and interest in photographs of quality?

Don't be ridiculous young man!!

This forum has become 'lets laugh at Leica and those people who bought one.

Well, then quite a few of the contributors are laughing about themselves, including myself.
Rather folks care about Leica and their products, I think. Otherwise why bother with this thread.

jaree

Well, then quite a few of the contributors are laughing about themselves, including myself.
Rather folks care about Leica and their products, I think. Otherwise why bother with this thread.
Yeah. I am still laughing about the time I bought the S2 and all S lenses. Or, the M9 and all the M lenses. And more recently a bagful of R lenses. Yeah, let us not talk about gear and hence no separate forums for Leica, Sony, Nikon, etc. No discussion or bragging about how perfect the SL is. Let us just create one thread and just post photos, sans any camera/lens info or any other discussion.

I believe there are already threads for sharing photos, so folks who don't like these discussions, feel free to post your masterpieces there. In the meantime, let some of us laugh, debate and discuss the minutiae of seemingly irrelevant things.

Paratom

I do like discussing gear and I think we all know that most people here are gear heads.
I think the combination of discussing gear together with showing Images can be a lot of fun.
I am just tired of the words "outdated" and "flawed".
Also it seems to me that today there are more and more People join threads to prove that the discussed product isnt worth it or that there are better choices available, without contributing any new info about the product or without having any own experience with the discussed product.
By the way I really like the OP start-thread here. Someone shares his experience with the SL and explained why it is not for him, with reasons and experience.

Amin

Someone doesn't like the SL and/or wishes it had something another camera has, and another forum member insinuates that they are being anti-Leica or having a need to attack the camera to feel good about another camera.

Someone loves the SL and points out how they prefer something about it to another camera, and another forum member insinuates that they are being a Leica fanboy or feeling the need to defend their purchase.

Sometimes people just like or dislike something, alone or in relation to something else. How nice would it be if we all just gave one another the benefit of the doubt?

I for one think we'd be better off without psychoanalyzing one another.

aDam007

Not a Steve Huff fan or detractor ... he's just another source of info. The exchange posted here didn't seem all that rude, and the one poster never did answer whether they had actually held, shot or used the SL in any way. Seems like a hissy fight between bloggers adding nothing to understanding the SL for those interested in this new camera.

If the colors and color rendering of the SL are indeed EXACTLY the same as Sony, then I'm crossing the SL off any consideration list since I'm not a fan of Sony's native rendering (so far).

A 24-90 fixed f/2 lens would be a dream all right ... a nightmare to be specific. It'd be Giganticus-Humungus. Look at any AF lens line-up ... when you go from a f/2.8 version to a f/2 version of a focal length, the size takes a disproportionate hit. Probably why NikCanSony never pushed past 24-70/2.8 ... a 24-90/2.8 would already be bigger, and a f/2 version would go off the charts.

Marc:)
A boy can dream :D But seriously I'd work out just for that lens!!

I too dislike the Sony A7 native colors. Which is why I'm pretty annoyed at the SL's colors. I feel the S-006 and M240 are pretty superior in that sense. The S-007 can be tamed, but I'm still not use to it. The M9 was fantastic but for camera body reasons not my first choice these days.

Honestly, the M240 sensor really is pretty marvellous (in CMOS terms). I still feel it wipes the floor with a LOT of other sensors that are better on spec.