The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The LCD needs to be hinged and moveable

V

Vivek

Otherwise, i do not see any digital cams like the Q and the SL finding their way to my hands.

The leica designers should try the sony cams to understand what i mean.

It is good they offer integrated EVF in soem of their digital cam products but it needs to be more utlitarian.

Those who have some unlcles or aunts at Leica, please let them know. :)

Malina DZ

I'd rather have no LCD if it saves a $1000+ off the price. A built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi for pairing with a smart phone gives you unlimited viewing angle options on a larger, higher resolution OLED screen that any DSLR or Leica camera out there could dream of at their back. A hinged and moveable LCD is so passé.

aDam007

I'd HATE if the LCD on any of the M/Q/S/SL cameras were movable. I HATE moveable LCD screens. Just wifi your phone if you REALLY need to see the screen.

Though for my work, I tend to shoot at more natural angles, so I've never seen the need to have an articulating screen. Really wonky creative angles aren't my thing. And I always feel the cameras are cheaper feeling. Less solid when things like screens move.

Heck I don't even like lenses that extend when zoomed or focused.

But I can see the usefulness of a articulating screen for many photographers. So I'm glad that this whole smart phone wifi app thing has caught on. Once it's very seamlessly worked into the mix, I think it'll be great for a lot of people (not that it's not good now, but it could be improved).

The whole no screen (with an ISO dial on the back). And wifi images straight to your phone would be awesome!
It's just the menus are necessary in all but M cameras... So it's kinda difficult.

Paratom

I think for cameras which are not too heavy an articulated Screen would be nice (for example for macro or if one wants to shoot from a higher perspective...but I also really dont miss it - I am still using the cameras 90% at my eye with the viewfinder.

V

Vivek

I'd rather have no LCD if it saves a $1000+ off the price.
I believe you have little idea about the Leica landscape. Check out the LCD less "concept camera", the M60 and its price.

In fact, the FS section here is crowded with 2 on sale at bargain prices! :ROTFL:

The first electronic RF camera, Epson RD1, sported a swivel LCD but that is all the more relevant/usefull with live view.

D&A

I believe you have little idea about the Leica landscape. Check out the LCD less "concept camera", the M60 and its price.

In fact, the FS section here is crowded with 2 on sale at bargain prices! :ROTFL:

The first electronic RF camera, Epson RD1, sported a swivel LCD but that is all the more relevant/usefull with live view.
How about a fixed LCD screen with an articulating camera? :).
(I couldn't resist).

Interestingly in the last itineration of the Epson RD-1, they removed the articulating LCD screen feature and it was back to a fixed screen. I wonder if it was due to cost?

Although I'm used to fixed screen and they provide the feeling(accurate or not) of camera regidity and solidness, it can be usedul in macro and other types of angled shooting. If inplemented well, I'm not adverse to it.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

KeithL

My wife's inexpensive Lumix has a fully articulated touch screen. There are times I'd kill for it on my Leicas.

D&A

As Keith points out, an inexpensive Lumix (so do Nikon, Canon, etc) sports one. Cost should not be an issue at all.
I would tend to agree but then why did Epson remove this feature from the last version of the RD-1? At the time it was one of its most salient features..

Dave (D&A)

JoelM

I would tend to agree but then why did Epson remove this feature from the last version of the RD-1? At the time it was one of its most salient features..

Dave (D&A)
Perhaps the Epson was articulated so that it could be reversed (was there an ISO gauge on the reverse?). Being a CCD camera, there was no use to look at the screen since no Live View. I really liked that camera and had one for years, but the last iteration lacking that feature wasn't a big deal IMHO.

Joel

D&A

No the articulating LCD wasn't manditory as the camera had other positive attributes but neverless it was a nice feature and suited that camera particulary well.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
J

JohnW

I'm with Vivek on this. For street shooting, at least, the ability to work at waist or chest level is wonderful.

Not only because it's more discrete, but because the angle of view is more appealing. Especially if you're tall, the closer you get the more beneficial a lower angle of view becomes. I really miss this feature on my current cameras.

John

Lars

I'm with Vivek as well - an articulating screen is useful.
I'd be content with 30 degrees up and down - we're not talking about a selfie camera here. Construction should be rock-solid though, which is probably easier to accomplish if only limited up/down tilt is supported.

jaree

I will add my vote as well - Yes to tiltable LCD. If one doesn't like it, you just don't tilt it. For those who do there is an option to adjust the angle.

I have lost count of the number of times I did not have to do acrobatics while shooting the Sony A7 on a tripod because of the tiltable LCD - esp. useful when doing MF. I would rather do my squats in the gym than in the field while shooting pictures.

I can't see what the objection is - these don't break unless you have King-Kong's hands. Cost should not be an issue as shown by implementation in much cheaper cameras. Neither should it affect weatherproofing.

uhoh7

I think what would be nice is a new M variant which is not a replica of the M6 but a careful design ground up, as the SL mostly is, which is small, light and yes, would have a tilt screen.

Now, obviously many Leica users would hate such a thing, so the standard M should be continued, too.

I'm used to the LCD on the M9 and I rarely tip up my A7 one: in fact my case won't allow it. That's for protection, and it works. But no reason why a tough system could not be made with a tilt option.

As far as "Leica loosing users", that's not happening. That was something that occurred in the SLR boom. Today Leica is gaining users and reputation. Which is why they don't really seem to care LOL

jonoslack

Otherwise, i do not see any digital cams like the Q and the SL finding their way to my hands.

The leica designers should try the sony cams to understand what i mean.

It is good they offer integrated EVF in soem of their digital cam products but it needs to be more utlitarian.

Those who have some unlcles or aunts at Leica, please let them know. :)
Interesting
I hate fully articulated LCDs (like the Olympus E-M5ii) - I just get confused (silly me). On the other hand I really like the tilting EVF on the E-M1 (which doesn't confuse me at all). Each to his own I guess.

I don't care much either way - but I can see that for street it's a pretty desirable addition . . . and anything on a tripod . . . and when sitting in a cafe with touch shutter . . . and for macro . . and for taking shots near the ground . . . and even taking pictures up ladies' skirts (heaven forfend).

As you can tell Vivek - I quite agree with you.

segedi

Especially if you're tall...
Or of average height but want to shoot over a crowd and know what you're getting. I love the screen on my D750 for this reason.
I've also used it for low, macro work.

The nicest thing about articulated screens, if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.