The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SF 58 Flash press release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Press information

New: LEICA SF 58
Professional high-end flash unit for highest performance and system compatibility
Leica Camera AG, Solms, presents a new flash unit combining the highest performance and system compatibility in one high-end flash unit – the LEICA SF 58. The maximum guide number of 58 (ISO 100/21°) enables high light output and, due to its fully swivelling reflector, offers ideal opportunities for indirect flash illumination. Its integrated, system-controlled secondary reflector maintains image brilliance and simultaneously lightens shadows and highlights. For photographers, this means more creative freedom in the use of light and more flexibility, even under difficult lighting conditions. A diffuser, particularly recommended for portrait photography and softer illumination, is available as an optional accessory.
The LEICA SF 58 is suitable for use with all Leica rangefinder and SLR cameras and can also be used with the new Leica S-system. The LEICA SF 58 is equipped with an integrated USB port to allow convenient uploading of firmware updates, ensuring absolute compatibility with future generations of Leica cameras.
The LEICA SF 58 flash unit features a wide zoom range of 24–105 mm and an integrated wide-angle diffuser to extend the field of view by 18 mm. Depending on the focal length of the lens in use and the sensor format, the flash reflector setting is automatically controlled yet also features a manual adjustment option.
Thanks to its numerous technical features, the LEICA SF 58 enables photographers to capture professionally exposed images independent of any existing lighting conditions. For instance, the unit features automatic functions such as TTL or automatic flash mode, as well as automatic fill-in flash. In addition, the new LEICA SF 58 offers a choice of two lighting profiles (Standard and Soft) that allow optimal adaptation to various lighting
situations. High-performance energy management guarantees flash photography at the highest speed and constancy, and at the same time an overheating protection function regulates the flash frequency when necessary.
Intuitive controls and a user-friendly operating concept ensure simple handling of the LEICA SF 58, including easily set parameters with the four soft keys of the unit. The clearly structured, illuminated dot-matrix display allows photographers to concentrate on the essentials.
The LEICA SF 58 will be available at authorized Leica dealers in March 2009.
Technical data LEICA SF 58
Compatibility: Full compatibility with:
M System: M6 TTL, M7, M8, M8.2
R System: R8, R9
S-System: S2
Limited compatibility with all Leica system cameras featuring a hot shoe
(in automatic or manual flash mode)
Guide number: Max. 58 (ISO 100 / 21°)
Flash modes: TTL, automatic
manual, strobe
Remote flash operation: Slave
Further functions: Test flash function, AF assist light, automatic fill-in flash, manual flash exposure correction, (+/-3 EV in 1/3 EV steps), flash exposure bracketing, second shutter curtain synchronisation, HSS high shutter speed synchronisation
Light output ratios (main reflector): 25
Light output ratios (secondary reflector): 3
Lighting profiles: Standard, soft
Sensor format adjustment: Automatic adjustment
Swivelling reflector: Vertical (-7° / +90°)
Horizontal (-180° /+120°)
Colour temperature: 5600K
Sensor measuring angle (Automatic mode): 25°
Automatic / manual zoom reflector: 24 mm, 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm, 90 mm, 105 mm (35-mm format)
Integrated reflector card: Yes
Integrated wide-angle diffuser: Yes
Secondary reflector: Yes
Secondary reflector illumination (in mm): 35 mm (35-mm format)
Firmware update: Via USB port
Dot-matrix display: Illuminated
Flash distance indicator: Yes
Correct exposure indicator: Yes
Flash-readiness indicator: Yes
Acoustic status signal: Yes
Automatic unit cut-off: Yes
Manual key locking: Yes
Automatic white-balance adjustment: Yes (the white-balance function of the camera must be set to 'automatic' or 'flash')
Camera-controlled wake-up function: Yes
Power supply: 4x AA, alkaline batteries (1.5V), lithium (1.5V), NiCad rechargeable (1.2V), NiMH rechargeable (1.2V), external power pack
Number of flashes (full power): Alkaline (1.5V) – 180
Lithium (1.5V ) – 320
NiCad rechargeable (1.2V/600 mAh) – 70
NiMH rechargeable (1.2V/1600 mAh) – 140
(this data may vary depending on the charge level of the batteries/rechargeable cells and the ambient temperature)
Recycling time in sec. (min./max.): Alkaline (1.5V) – 0.1 / 5
Lithium (1.5V ) – 0.1 / 6
NiCad rechargeable (1.2V/600 mAh) – 0.1 / 5
NiMH rechargeable (1.2V/1600 mAh) – 0.1 / 5
(this data may vary depending on the charge level of the batteries/rechargeable cells and the ambient temperature)
Weight (without power sources): 12.5 oz [355 g]
Dimensions in inches (L x H x D): 2.8 x 5.8 x 3.9 [71 x 148 x 99 mm]
Package includes: Flash unit, user's manual, warranty card, belt pocket,
stand, 4x AA alkaline batteries
Optional accessories: Diffusor

A

Artorius

Hi Guy,
I have the Leica 24D, and although it isn't perfect, I just don't think I can justify the purchase price for the 58. For the announced MSR, I could buy another M3/M2/M4p and just buy a butt load of iso 3200 film.
And why would a flash unit need to be able to upgrade its FW, com'on, its a flash unit.
Can you/or Leica convince me otherwise?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So,
Is this just a Leica-branded Metz 58 or is there any functional or compatibility difference?
-bob

Terry

Hi Guy,
I have the Leica 24D, and although it isn't perfect, I just don't think I can justify the purchase price for the 58. For the announced MSR, I could buy another M3/M2/M4p and just buy a butt load of iso 3200 film.
And why would a flash unit need to be able to upgrade its FW, com'on, its a flash unit.
Can you/or Leica convince me otherwise?
I'm all if favor of flashes and lenses to be able to upgrade their firmware. In the Oly world we have lenses be updates to be able to use them on micro 4/3's. I don't see any downside.

A

Artorius

I'm all if favor of flashes and lenses to be able to upgrade their firmware. In the Oly world we have lenses be updates to be able to use them on micro 4/3's. I don't see any downside.
I really don't understand the concept of upgrading a flash unit(I will have to Google that one). So ok, but priced at $637.00, I don't see it in my future. I would get the Metz, or just stick with the 24. I don't use flash that much anymore, and I really think Leica crapped out on this one.JMHO.
Interesting design though if one is getting the S2.