The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experience with the 28/1.4 M Summilux

Paratom

Anybody here would like to share some experience with this lens and maybe some samples.
After using it for some time, do you feel that it is worth to have f1.4 in a 28mm and to spend the etera over the Summicron 28 asph?
Maybe also some words how it works on a Monochrom compared to the 28 Summicron/ 28 Elmarit?
:)

Petster

I can not give you any intel on how it compares to the crons and I believe that these days, with the high ISO every camera is offering, only a few of us really need the speed. But beside of this I can tell you, that I fall in love with this one, more or less instantly.

I love how the lens renders. How it performs when shooting against light. How it renders shooting wide open. Size and weight is okay, if feels much smaller and lighter than the 24 lux, which I would not use as it is too big and heavy for me, but the 28 is obviously bigger and heavier than the 35 lux.

It is one of the two lenses I will take on any trip I do in the future (it has replaced my 21 Super-Elmar) and if I have to decide for one lens only, I would take this one.

Here are some samples. First two with M240 and the last two with the M246.

Paratom

I can not give you any intel on how it compares to the crons and I believe that these days, with the high ISO every camera is offering, only a few of us really need the speed. But beside of this I can tell you, that I fall in love with this one, more or less instantly.

I love how the lens renders. How it performs when shooting against light. How it renders shooting wide open. Size and weight is okay, if feels much smaller and lighter than the 24 lux, which I would not use as it is too big and heavy for me, but the 28 is obviously bigger and heavier than the 35 lux.

It is one of the two lenses I will take on any trip I do in the future (it has replaced my 21 Super-Elmar) and if I have to decide for one lens only, I would take this one.

Here are some samples. First two with M240 and the last two with the M246.
Thank you and wow, great Images.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From what I see about about the 1.4/28, this would be my go to lens for sure if I started shooting digital M again.

28 is a sweetspot on the M and is the widest which can easily be used without any additional finder (optical or electronic). Plus it really is a perfect angle of view.

jonoslack

Anybody here would like to share some experience with this lens and maybe some samples.
After using it for some time, do you feel that it is worth to have f1.4 in a 28mm and to spend the etera over the Summicron 28 asph?
Maybe also some words how it works on a Monochrom compared to the 28 Summicron/ 28 Elmarit?
:)
Hi There Tom
I think it's a fantastic lens - and certainly the best of the Leica 28s (by some margin). It's also fantastic on the Monochrom. I had one to test for a few months - and then I bought one.
Of course it's bigger than the others, but just better!

In case you haven't read it:

Leica 28 summilux Review

Pete - those are wonderful photos you've taken - we obviously feel the same way about this lens.

jrp

I agree with the positive rating that others have given this lens. Like all fast (Leica) lenses, it has some purple fringing if you are shooting lights at night, but they these largely vanish 1/2-1 stop down.

It may be worth waiting to see what the new 28mms that Leica are releasing this month have to offer before going snap. Indeed you may find the previous 28mms new for v good prices as dealers clear old stock. Opinions on the other current 28mms vary, from "the best Leica lens" to "unexciting / lacks sparkle" (in the case of the Summicron). Aside from subjective image rendering preferences, some attach more weight (pardon the pun) to the size of the lens, viewfinder blockage, etc.

Paratom

I have the 28/2.0 asph and have not been unhappy with it, but I admit looking at images in Jonos review and some others look like images with the 28/1.4 have a unique look, I dont know how much is the shallow DOF and how much other things, but it could be just Jonos photographic skills.
Jono, did you ever do side by sides?

V

Vivek

Unfortunately, it is a luxury product. :thumbdown: ~4,000€ more than i would pay.

jonoslack

I have the 28/2.0 asph and have not been unhappy with it, but I admit looking at images in Jonos review and some others look like images with the 28/1.4 have a unique look, I dont know how much is the shallow DOF and how much other things, but it could be just Jonos photographic skills.
Jono, did you ever do side by sides?
Hi Tom
I did indeed do side by side tests, and on the SL, the M240 and the A7ii

Which is what persuaded me that it's the best of the best of the bunch.