The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S 100mm or S 120mm ?

hasselbladfan

Leica is offering me a demo for the S.

Besides the 30-90mm, I need a portrait / travel lens, should I go for the S 100mm or the S 120mm?

Which one is your favorite? Anybody compared them already?

P.S. I am not into Macro.

fotografz

Leica is offering me a demo for the S.

Besides the 30-90mm, I need a portrait / travel lens, should I go for the S 100mm or the S 120mm?

Which one is your favorite? Anybody compared them already?

P.S. I am not into Macro.
Then the S-100/2 is the answer.

While it provides a bit more reach, the S-120 is much bigger, slower focusing, and optimized for Macro.

- Marc

hasselbladfan

Then the S-100/2 is the answer.

While it provides a bit more reach, the S-120 is much bigger, slower focusing, and optimized for Macro.

- Marc
Correct, it is a little bigger (2.5cm longer), that is not a big deal for me.

Can you tell me more about the slower AF? Is this the case even if you are in the 2-4m range?

Paratom

I own both but use the 100 much moe often.
I use it often for images of my kids, and here the shorter focal length, the smaller size/weight (there is quite a difference in weight) and the faster f-stop of the 100 make it the more usefull lens for me.
I have read that the color rendering is slightly different, but in terms of IQ and bokeh I really like both lenses.
I have not run direct comparisons though.
I only keep the 120 because I think I sometimes might want to shoot some macro.

I also believe 100mm can be combinated very well with 45mm as a great 2 lens set.

fotografz

Correct, it is a little bigger (2.5cm longer), that is not a big deal for me.

Can you tell me more about the slower AF? Is this the case even if you are in the 2-4m range?
Perhaps you need to get both lenses in hand? I was responding to your applications of travel and portraits. I sure don't walk around with the 120 while traveling, but I do with the 100/2.
so, I guess "bigger" is in the eye of the beholder. BTW, the 120's front element extends outward as it focuses closer. It is also heavier (probably because it has more glass elements inside).
Like many Macros, it has a longer focus throw, and as with all the S lenses, when you start the camera the lens automatically focuses to infinity. There have been plenty of folks complaining
about the 120 hunting and being slower than other S optics, but a lens firmware update did help that somewhat (as well as the other S lenses). There is no focus limiter on the lens.

That said, the 120 is excellent and I love the OOF background areas when focused closer.

- Marc

baudolino

For travel and portrait use, the 100 probably makes more sense. The 120 is more universal, though: allows you to shoot macro, can be bought as a CS lens, or more readily purchased second hand (esp. a non-CS version) and save half the price compared to a new 100 (which is newer and unlikely to be found second hand so easily). The 120 is also an APO lens. As for macro use - I am not a macro shooter at all but I did find the macro capability useful often enough during my travels in exotic lands: colourful butterflies, fierce ants and all sort of other critters that I wouldn't normally shoot at home...but they were part of the travel experience, so why not take the picture when it presents itself.

I travelled happily and shot portraits with the 120 for several years before the 100 was launched. Heck, I even schlepped one, on my neck with the S2, for five hours up and down the jungle of the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, to shoot mountain gorillas. You will not regret whichever lens you choose; they are both great. I also agree that the 45 and 100 (or120) make a great travel combination.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ten minutes around the house with the S 006 100 all handheld ... found my favorite new lens. Will be paired with my 45. Will pick up a 70 CS for flash
situations.

Leica S 006 100 F 2.0 ISO 400

Thanks,

Bob

aDam007

Tough call.. And what I'm about to write is very subjective. I look at lenses in a very different way then most.

The 120S is better for beauty and portraits. I say this for two reasons. One the perspective flatters the face a bit more. And two, the sharpness and roll off is a bit better suited for faces. Less character, so less distracting. A cleaner, fresher look if you will. Besides there's something about the contrast that just gives off a sense of realism (though it fades the further away from your subject you get).

The 100S is better suited for half body and beyond. Especially candids and street scenes. And it makes a great lens for shooting details and close up quirks etc. It also makes a better lens if you're shooting multiple heads in one frame. The rendering also tends to be more in line with the older sought after Leica glow look. And it's just beautiful. How lenses should render :D Reminds me of a mix between the 75APO and the 75Lux. Basically the good points from each lens sexed (my wife laughed at me when I asked if sexed was a word, as it didn't look right.. She said the word I'm looking for is mated) to create the 100S :p

It's not to say both lenses can't do the others job. It's just to say that I wouldn't want to be without either lens.

As for the actual real world use. The 100S will be faster, even when the lens has less distance to travel. As in, even if you're taking the same subject and neither you or the subject are moving much. Obviously from close range to far away the 100S is VERY fast in comparison.

There are two exceptions to the rule.
1) On the S007 the 100S can be a bit problematic. Sometimes it just won't lock focus, and I've tried with multiple 100S lenses and multiple S007 bodies (one of the reason I don't have an S007 anymore). And even though the recent firmware fixed the issue a bit. It's still problematic. In this instance, the 120S is a faster lens.
2) In certain lighting conditions the 100S has to many internal reflections (poor flare control) and it won't hit focus. Whereas the 120S seems to have less of an issue with this, both visually (in images) and in operation.. The 120S will in that instance focus faster as it doesn't struggle like the 100S does.

On a whole though, the 100S could be used for slow-ish moving subjects, whereas the 120S would be reserved for static subjects.

Hope this helps.

P.S. One more thing to add.. The 70S shouldn't be overlooked. It does great in backlit situations and has beautiful rendering. If you consider it, you'll probably want to space it out a bit and the 120S is a good friend for it :D Also in that vein of thought, you might want to pickup the 35S instead of the zoom :D

aDam007

Ten minutes around the house with the S 006 100 all handheld ... found my favorite new lens. Will be paired with my 45. Will pick up a 70 CS for flash
situations.

Leica S 006 100 F 2.0 ISO 400

Thanks,

Bob​

Hi Bob,

The 45S is a fantastic isn't it! Such a lifelike rendering of a scene. The most medium format rendering lens I've ever owned (if anyone can imagine what I mean by that).

My only wish was that the 45S and the 100S had similar enough characteristics where they could be used together seamlessly. Instead I find the 35/70/120 have more in common. And tend to use those when I need consistency.

Hard to only stick with a few S lenses though... I'm lucky I have no need for wides beyond 28 or 35, else I'd be broke.​

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bob,

The 45S is a fantastic isn't it! Such a lifelike rendering of a scene. The most medium format rendering lens I've ever owned (if anyone can imagine what I mean by that).

My only wish was that the 45S and the 100S had similar enough characteristics where they could be used together seamlessly. Instead I find the 35/70/120 have more in common. And tend to use those when I need consistency.

Hard to only stick with a few S lenses though... I'm lucky I have no need for wides beyond 28 or 35, else I'd be broke.
You are so correct ... this is a bit off but reminds me of how the OTUS 85 or ZF 135 render but as a medium wide ... the more you delve into the scene the better it gets.

I had the 35 and 70 with my S2-P but never gave the 35 enough time ... the 45 engages my eye much more than the 35 rendering.

I understand your concern over the characteristics of the 45S and 100S with regards to seamless interchange ... for me with limited lens selection I love
the difference ... my 70 CS will be kind of a middle ground between the two. And since nothing I do is within the vale of the commercial I can play without the concern
of developing a consistent presentation.

I love your sharing your experience and eye regarding lenses I am just uncovering.

Regards,

Bob

aDam007

You are so correct ... this is a bit off but reminds me of how the OTUS 85 or ZF 135 render but as a medium wide ... the more you delve into the scene the better it gets.

I had the 35 and 70 with my S2-P but never gave the 35 enough time ... the 45 engages my eye much more than the 35 rendering.

I understand your concern over the characteristics of the 45S and 100S with regards to seamless interchange ... for me with limited lens selection I love
the difference ... my 70 CS will be kind of a middle ground between the two. And since nothing I do is within the vale of the commercial I can play without the concern
of developing a consistent presentation.

I love your sharing your experience and eye regarding lenses I am just uncovering.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes I often think of the 45S as being very Zeiss like in rendering too :D

I'm sure the 70S will please you. It's a good alternative walk around lens to what you already own. A little less "interesting" then the 100S but by no means a slouch at all.

To the OP. Have you made up your mind yet?

Paratom

I guess the S007 was not entirely convincing...? Did Leica drop the ball on this one?
From my side I have not regretted to switch from the S006 to the S007, but I do have to admit that my use has not been very much a nothing close to a professinal.
I now use ISO up to 3200 quite often and now can use the S007 in cases where I had to go to a FF DSLR in earlier times (because of limited light).
I would not have switched if iI was a tripod shooter, or if I was using additional light all the time.
I agree by the way that both the 45 and 100 are great lenses.

baudolino

T On the S007 the 100S can be a bit problematic. Sometimes it just won't lock focus, and I've tried with multiple 100S lenses and multiple S007 bodies (one of the reason I don't have an S007 anymore). And even though the recent firmware fixed the issue a bit. It's still problematic. In this instance, the 120S is a faster lens.
In your experience, is this limited to the 007 and absent from the 006?

aDam007

In your experience, is this limited to the 007 and absent from the 006?
Yes, only the S007 has this issue. I think with the S006, slow and stead wins the race. Whereas with the S007 it tends to move to fast and that causes it to have to rack back and forth like 2-3 times before hitting focus in some cases.

aDam007

I guess the S007 was not entirely convincing...? Did Leica drop the ball on this one?
A few problems.

1) Was the annoying 100S AF issue.
2) A black frame every 30-40 images can be a deal breaker in some cases.
3) Sensor seems to have more issues (dead pixels, lines on sensor, in different weather conditions the sensor acts up). And Leica isn't that great with replacements and service times.
4) I borrowed another S007 after the firmware had been updated, and it still had the color problems I was seeing early on. This is personal preference, but for my needs the S006 is just easier to use/get the colors I want. Not that you can't get close to the S006, but still not quite what I wanted.

And as a bonus, I can own two S006 for the price of one S007. Especially since I don't need the handling and speed of the S007. I have other camera systems for that.

The thing is.. I love the S007 handling. I feel it's a REAL camera. And I mean real camera in the sense that it feels like something Canon would produce. But better!

And Tom is right. It does help with the flexibility to have ISO 3200 instead of ISO 800. Though I can clean up a ISO 800 file pushed one stop in LR to the point where I feel 1600 is "useable" on the S006 in a pinch (though I don't use the S006 in that way anyway).

I'll be sure to pickup an S007 in 2-3 years time when the warranty runs out on my S006 cameras and when the S007 can be had for cheaper, and obviously after a few more firmware updates where the AF issues are solved and the color profiles have been tweaked (hopefully).

349a

In regards to the 007 + 100mm, looking at the DOF scale is quite illuminating. At F2, the DOF at closer focusing distances is literally zero and not a whole lot more as one approaches infinity. Front, back and focus all read to the same decimal point at closer focusing distances. The focus plane is razor thin. It's amazing it can focus at all! I did a test of my birdbath, about 1.5" of water in it. Reflections on the water in focus while the bird bath was completely disolved into pure blur.