The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

'New' Epson R-D1x

Erik Five

Well. The questions is if you want to buy a new unit with full warranty for 2000$ or a used one without warranty for 2500$? I would probably buy a used M8, but a lot of people find buying new with full warranty better. 2000$ is cheap for a new Drf. A new M8 is 4200$? In new I mean not used...

To answer your question: I think Epson is aiming this at people who wants to buy a new camera with full warranty for half of a new M8...

jev

well if you buy used one, get a shutter or frames upgrade you get 1 year warranty
so at 2K does not make much sense

R

Ranger 9

What market is Epson aiming here?
People who love the original R-D 1 and would like to be able to use SDHC cards and have faster raw processing (via the updated EDiART chip.)

That may not be a large group of people, but I'm in it.

To us R-D 1 buffs, though, possibly the best piece of news out of this announcement is that it presumably means that we'll be able to get spare batteries again... none of the third-party equivalents perform nearly as well as the original Epson battery, but they've been NLA for months...

cam

well if you buy used one, get a shutter or frames upgrade you get 1 year warranty
um, wrong thread?

the R-D1 doesn't have either of these upgrades, though framelines for 75mm and a quiet shutter would be the answer to my dreams :p

LONG LIVE THE R-D1!

(sorry for shouting)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That was indeed surprising. I wonder if the sensor has been upgraded to better high-ISO performance. That would make it an interesting option for some, myself included.

Nah... had a look at the specs. Still only 28/35/50mm frame lines and maximum ISO1600. Seems like they are going to capitalize on the old parts bin.

Last edited:

cam

People who love the original R-D 1 and would like to be able to use SDHC cards and have faster raw processing (via the updated EDiART chip.)

That may not be a large group of people, but I'm in it.

To us R-D 1 buffs, though, possibly the best piece of news out of this announcement is that it presumably means that we'll be able to get spare batteries again... none of the third-party equivalents perform nearly as well as the original Epson battery, but they've been NLA for months...
oh wow! new batteries!!! i hadn't thought about that... hallelujah!

the other stuff doesn't get me -- i've gotten very good about changing my batteries with the card and never run into trouble that way (then again, i have been using 3rd party out of necessity). the RAW speed very rarely gets me and it isn't worth that if it means i can't flip the screen around any more. (it's gorgeous disguise as a film camera is the only thing that's saved me whilst using the Noctilux as a street lens :ROTFL: )

Erik Five

Yeah. Leica give those upgrades away for free dont they? Bundled together with the new free Lux´es :D

Erik Five

That was indeed surprising. I wonder if the sensor has been upgraded to better high-ISO performance. That would make it an interesting option for some, myself included.

Nah... had a look at the specs. Still only 28/35/50mm frame lines and maximum ISO1600. Seems like they are going to capitalize on the old parts bin.
Its has upgraded image processing. Better 1600 Iso files? 1250 was the most I felt I could use on the M8.

cam

Its has upgraded image processing. Better 1600 Iso files? 1250 was the most I felt I could use on the M8.
ISO 1600 is very usable on the R-D1 -- nicer than the M8's 1250 for the most part.

i get nervous when i see the words "upgraded image processing." it makes me think they might mess with the RAW files which is something other manufacturers have done (and do). i'd rather deal with the noise myself, rather than have cleaner files at the expense of smeary details.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a bit surprising if it's still the same old sensor without modifications. The whole point with a low-MP sensor would be lower noise. Even the current 12MP sensor currently used by Nikon (D300 and D90) should be better in that respect than the old 6MP, and apart for the need for a faster processor (which they have apparently changed or upgraded anyway), the added cost of the higher resolution one would only be a small fraction of the RD-1x price.

But maybe they had a bunch of the 6MP one in the parts bin :rolleyes:

R

Ranger 9

This seems like as good a place as any for a little gratuitous R-D 1 p()r|\|, along with a note that CameraLeather.com now offers kits for the front cover panels. (As I noted elsewhere, I've used my R-D 1 so much that I've literally worn away the original rubber covers.)

cam

Ranger9 -- is that the Indian Red?

my rehab guy keeps on coming after my camera with tweezers and super glue... i mentioned Camera Leather to some other patients and we all decided it would look very cool in red (except one voted pink :eek:). just can't decide which one....

N

nei1

I think the screen is now fixed if you can trust the translate function.

cam

I think the screen is now fixed if you can trust the translate function.
it is -- which sucks. i never use my screen whilst shooting and much prefer it to look like a nice old film camera.... you can get away with so much more :D

R

Ranger 9

Ranger9 -- is that the Indian Red?
Yes, it is. It's a little darker and less pink than it looks in the photo (on my monitor, at least.) Complements the red dial markings nicely, I think.

Of course they'll also make the same pattern in any of their other covering materials, or so they say.