The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Woohooo M8 firmware update!

robertwright

Peter it certainly will have it's use no question and better to have than not to have. If some folks understand it like you do than it will do exactly that, give you the chance to put it somewhere and not be heard. Some folks are expecting a quieter shutter and that is not the case at all and they just don't seem to understand to actually do that they need to buy a upgrade or a M8.2 and when you get to those even the discreet mode is kind off useless because that shutter is really quiet. You almost have to listen to hear it from 2 ft away. So discreet mode on the new shutter may not ever get any play. The pitfall here is you have to take the camera away from your eye and like you said muffle it in your coat, well that is at least a 5 second experience when something you may just miss not having it at your eye or ready position. That is the limitation I want folks to understand.

funny thing is I had a camera that did this and i can't remember which camera it was but I would put the camera behind my back and let it wind out. Wish I could remember which camera it was but yes it is useful and it is free. For the upgrade folks certainly a extra bonus
My (the) Canon F1-n had this with the motor drive in single frame mode. Drive was noisy as hell but for me it came down to that feeling of making the exposure perfectly.

only one more sleep:D

Paratom

Peter it certainly will have it's use no question and better to have than not to have. If some folks understand it like you do than it will do exactly that, give you the chance to put it somewhere and not be heard. Some folks are expecting a quieter shutter and that is not the case at all and they just don't seem to understand to actually do that they need to buy a upgrade or a M8.2 and when you get to those even the discreet mode is kind off useless because that shutter is really quiet. You almost have to listen to hear it from 2 ft away. So discreet mode on the new shutter may not ever get any play. The pitfall here is you have to take the camera away from your eye and like you said muffle it in your coat, well that is at least a 5 second experience when something you may just miss not having it at your eye or ready position. That is the limitation I want folks to understand.

funny thing is I had a camera that did this and i can't remember which camera it was but I would put the camera behind my back and let it wind out. Wish I could remember which camera it was but yes it is useful and it is free. For the upgrade folks certainly a extra bonus
I use the quiet mode quit a bit with the M8.2
For some reason it just helps IMO that the release sound does not happen in the same moment you take the image.
Often you would put the camera down any ways after taking the image.
The firmware release should be nice for the M8 owners and very nice for the M8-modified-owners.

cam

Guy -- what for you is a lark, to many is a necessity -- though perhaps not on this forum.

i have stated and will state again, my only real gripe with my R-D1 is the shutter noise. it is the only reason i am even considering an M8/M8.2 (not image quality, megapixels, framelines, yada yada). i live in a very quiet neighborhood where my camera can easily be heard on the street, let alone in metros and the like.

the loudest part of the M8 is the mechanical winding (i'm sorry folk, i do not shoot long exposures for street candids). the discreet function, however, allows you to get ONE shot in situations where previously you got NONE. you want multiple shots? release the shutter button immediately, noise be damned. i don't care about do-agains, i want a chance to get shots i see on a daily basis that i can't take right now. it's as simple as that.

(i still think it's a pity that Leica does not offer a manual recock as some sort of upgrade/ extra added feature, charge a few hundred bucks for those that need it.... i can only dream that this might be an option in some future incarnation.)

i look forward to hearing people's reaction to the upgrade.

N

nei1

My film leicas sound very different with film inside,less hollow and tinny.The film obviously acting as a dampener to the more jarring higher frequencies.Maybe theres room inside the M8 for a bit of cotton wool or if you prefer,gold plated leica dust,to change the sound a little.Any camera mechanics out there?
If you strip out the sound proofing from a BMW it sounds like a donkey on baked beans.

robsteve

Subscriber
I just updated. It is still a pretty loud clunk when the shutter fires. The shutter cocking is actually the quieter of the two.

Robert

cam

I just updated. It is still a pretty loud clunk when the shutter fires. The shutter cocking is actually the quieter of the two.
interesting.... i'll get to hear it for myself this weekend. the firmware update only, though. i have to wait until the end of the month before i can listen to an M8.2 on the street here.... i depend on the kindness of strangers :p

My film leicas sound very different with film inside,less hollow and tinny.The film obviously acting as a dampener to the more jarring higher frequencies.Maybe theres room inside the M8 for a bit of cotton wool or if you prefer,gold plated leica dust,to change the sound a little.Any camera mechanics out there?
If you strip out the sound proofing from a BMW it sounds like a donkey on baked beans.
:ROTFL: there's a BMW dealership just around the corner and i'm afraid i'll be giggling for days as i pass it! i will do my damnedest to get a pic of the donkeys passing by!

interesting observation about the film inside. seems my listening to various empty M shutters was all for naught.... (i'm getting a loaner M2 soon, though -- i will definitely listen to the difference before and after loading.)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy -- what for you is a lark, to many is a necessity -- though perhaps not on this forum.

i have stated and will state again, my only real gripe with my R-D1 is the shutter noise. it is the only reason i am even considering an M8/M8.2 (not image quality, megapixels, framelines, yada yada). i live in a very quiet neighborhood where my camera can easily be heard on the street, let alone in metros and the like.

the loudest part of the M8 is the mechanical winding (i'm sorry folk, i do not shoot long exposures for street candids). the discreet function, however, allows you to get ONE shot in situations where previously you got NONE. you want multiple shots? release the shutter button immediately, noise be damned. i don't care about do-agains, i want a chance to get shots i see on a daily basis that i can't take right now. it's as simple as that.

(i still think it's a pity that Leica does not offer a manual recock as some sort of upgrade/ extra added feature, charge a few hundred bucks for those that need it.... i can only dream that this might be an option in some future incarnation.)

i look forward to hearing people's reaction to the upgrade.
I understand and don't think of it as a lark, for you and street it is useful but folks are expecting a new shutter sound and this is not it, the shutter is still load. A luigi case like Terry uses will muffle it no question but for a lot of folks it will be a passing and for some essential in the environment they shoot in. I am glad leica did it but for me if I went back to the M8 i would go for the m8.2 but that is me

Terry

Robert
Good to know because the 2 second trick only told me half of the story (opening the shutter). The close and recock were still combined. I don't think I will be able to update until tomorrow night.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just updated here too. Went fine and now my M8.1 w/modified (quieter) shutter sounds and operates just like the M8.2 :D Really glad I did the new shutter upgrade, and REALLY glad Leica made the delay available to us!

Happy camper,

M

matmcdermott

I'm really happy with the upgraded shutter + delayed release too. In the little bit I've shot with it (around the house before work) I've noticed that you really have to fully release the shutter button to get the shutter to recock. I never noticed how much I held the shutter in the half-depressed position before...

Now if there was just a digital version of the MP, with cloth shutter and manual shutter cock, we might be entirely back to the classic M feeling. (95% there already and happy for that.)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just updated here too. Went fine and now my M8.1 w/modified (quieter) shutter sounds and operates just like the M8.2 :D Really glad I did the new shutter upgrade, and REALLY glad Leica made the delay available to us!

Happy camper,
jack,
You are still missing Ahem, Err (looks around) "Slick" mode.
Cynthia's favorite. :ROTFL:
-bob

jonoslack

Fascinating
Leica have hit a home run with this upgrade!
I have two M8's, one with the upgraded shutter, one without. As Terry says, the 2 second exposure gives one a limited answer.

The truth is that the delayed shutter re-cock makes the upgraded shutter seem much MUCH more attractive. The recock noise is different, but not THAT different, but the initial shutter opening and closing is a world of difference, and the new shutter is sooooo much quieter.

It's clarified my decision . . . I'll miss the 1/8000th, but I'll be updating the shutter on my second M8 Oh Yes!

jonoslack

but folks are expecting a new shutter sound and this is not it, the shutter is still load.
I just performed the most important test of all . . . the Emma (wife) test.

I have two M8's, and one has the upgraded shutter, the other doesn't. When the upgraded one came back from leica, I tried to persuade her that the new shutter was quieter, and she simply said it wasn't worth a damn.

With the discreet mode, I just tried it again, this time she said "Oh! that's totally different"

I wasn't expecting to be convinced, but it's a no-brainer. This update will definitely encourage users to do the shutter upgrade, aren't Leica smart:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm just waiting for someone to say they take better pictures now after reading all this stuff on other forums . I have a gun firmly pointed to my head if someone say's that . I will upgrade myself in discrete mode of course:LOL::LOL::LOL: