The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Woohooo M8 firmware update!

Terry

I just performed the most important test of all . . . the Emma (wife) test.

I have two M8's, and one has the upgraded shutter, the other doesn't. When the upgraded one came back from leica, I tried to persuade her that the new shutter was quieter, and she simply said it wasn't worth a damn.

With the discreet mode, I just tried it again, this time she said "Oh! that's totally different"

I wasn't expecting to be convinced, but it's a no-brainer. This update will definitely encourage users to do the shutter upgrade, aren't Leica smart:)
I'm in Emma's camp. When my upgraded camera arrived it didn't sound that much different. Then throw it into a Luigi case and I was thinking to myself what's all the fuss shot quieter shutter it isn't much different. Can't wait to get home, upgrade firmware and head to Vegas!

cam

I'm just waiting for someone to say they take better pictures now after reading all this stuff on other forums . I have a gun firmly pointed to my head if someone say's that . I will upgrade myself in discrete mode of course:LOL::LOL::LOL:
better pictures???

Guy, this is still about getting them where you couldn't before -- not that I think this will effect you in anyway since I've rarely seen you take those type of photos. i'm still not understanding why you are belittling this upgrade. this (along with the shutter upgrade, yes) makes things possible.

you should really just shoot yourself now and be done with it.

jonoslack

I understand and don't think of it as a lark, for you and street it is useful but folks are expecting a new shutter sound and this is not it, the shutter is still load. A luigi case like Terry uses will muffle it no question but for a lot of folks it will be a passing and for some essential in the environment they shoot in. I am glad leica did it but for me if I went back to the M8 i would go for the m8.2 but that is me
Well, I think it emphasizes the difference between the two shutters (good for Leica, as it'll encourage people like Woody and I with two bodies to upgrade the second one).

However - it now means that for those with an original M8, they can upgrade the shutter and have everything that the M8.2 offers (except the 'stupid' mode).

For you Guy - if you went back to the M8, now you could get an upgraded model rather than the new one and save yourself a lot of bucks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
better pictures???

Guy, this is still about getting them where you couldn't before -- not that I think this will effect you in anyway since I've rarely seen you take those type of photos. i'm still not understanding why you are belittling this upgrade. this (along with the shutter upgrade, yes) makes things possible.

you should really just shoot yourself now and be done with it.
Completely misunderstood my comments. I am belittling nothing. More like if I buy X camera it will make me a better photographer, hopefully you understand it better now.

BTW I do a lot more street work than you think. I post very few images because I own this site and it is not about me, it is about the members

BTW the last comment is a insult and i do take offense to it. I would NEVER say that to a member should I be treated any different

mwalker

Subscriber Member
However - it now means that for those with an original M8, they can upgrade the shutter and have everything that the M8.2 offers (except the 'stupid' mode)

And the new exposure compensation, sapphire back, black dot & hotshoe...if thats stuffs important.....

cam

BTW the last comment is a insult and i do take offense to it. I would NEVER say that to a member should I be treated any different
my apologies, Guy. i meant it in the same context as you wrote it in the first place. i did not mean it in any other way and really should have added the appropriate smiley. i thought you would realise i was kidding -- as were you.

again, my sincerest apologies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No problem. And my apologies as well. I kid around a lot and sometimes it get's misunderstood. Closet stand up comedian.

Peter Klein

I loaded the firmware update on my M8 last night. The shutter "thunk" is indeed louder than the whine of the recocking. But separating the two may still be useful, as the whine lasts much longer, and gives people a chance to zero in on the sound. If I really want stealthy quiet, I would still choose my M6. But the firmware upgrade has probably given me a little more leeway in where I would use the M8. The new shutter or an M8.2 would probably be better, but that's not in the cards right now.

The firmware upgrade went smoothly, no worries. But shortly afterwards, my hot water heater failed and spilled its 50 gallons all over my laundry room floor. Coincidence? Should I call Solms? :eek: :ROTFL:

--Peter

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip....

The firmware upgrade went smoothly, no worries. But shortly afterwards, my hot water heater failed and spilled its 50 gallons all over my laundry room floor. Coincidence? Should I call Solms? :eek: :ROTFL:

--Peter
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Separating the two sounds made it clear to me that the shutter upgrade that I have scheduled for April 1 will be a good thing.

N

nei1

This is all very confusing¿?So the M8 is still not quite quiet enough but the M8 2 is as loud as the M6,M7?You have to wind on the film camera too but that is the richest of sounds.

Last edited: