The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EF adapter for the SL

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great new part for the SL system - starts indeed to make the SL a very interesting camera at least for me, as it would allow to use some of my favorite Canon glass

1.2/85
100-400 latest version
2.8/70-200 latest version

not to speak of some of the great WA glass in the Canon range

Future looks bright ;)

doug

If I understand the adapter's capabilities correctly the AF and aperture functions work normally but not IS. Another argument in favor of sensor stabilization.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I understand the adapter's capabilities correctly the AF and aperture functions work normally but not IS. Another argument in favor of sensor stabilization.
Doug,

had a look again at the specs provided in the link, but I cannot find any information that IS would not be supported.

IS is a lens stabilization in the Canon lenses, so I also do not understand why this should not work on any other camera like the SL?

Did I miss something?

Thanks

Peter

doug

Doug,

had a look again at the specs provided in the link, but I cannot find any information that IS would not be supported.

IS is a lens stabilization in the Canon lenses, so I also do not understand why this should not work on any other camera like the SL?

Did I miss something?

Thanks

Peter
From the link above:

"The new electronic Leica SL adapter – of course „Made in Germany“ – supports the following functions: autofocus, automatic aperture control, AF/MF modus as well as depth of field indication. Moreover, the EXIF data for aperture and focal distance are transmitted."

No mention of IS.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From the link above:

"The new electronic Leica SL adapter – of course „Made in Germany“ – supports the following functions: autofocus, automatic aperture control, AF/MF modus as well as depth of field indication. Moreover, the EXIF data for aperture and focal distance are transmitted."

No mention of IS.
I thought when IS is integral part of the lens - which it is in many Canon lenses - that IS should work anyway.

Hope I am not wrong.

John Black

I wouldn't sweat the details yet. If this plays out like the Metabones adapters, there will be many firmware updates. Thus, my question would be - how is the firmware updated? The product pictures show just a of couple angles, so there may be a USB port (hopefully).

All in all, I take this as great news. It certainly opens up the SL platform to more AF options and other options, like Zeiss Milvus lenses with the benefit of adding EXIF and auto aperture. Looking forward to some initial reports on AF speed / functionality, etc.

Makes me wonder if Novoflex has anything else in the works, like an R adapter that actuates the aperture mechanism.