The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 21mm for the M 240?

I'm trying to choose between the 21mm Color Skopar and the ZM 21mm 4.5. I have used the color skopar on film and it's great, how is it on the 240? Is there a great reason to spring for the more expensive Zeiss model?

uhoh7

Both of those are not friendly to digital, though you stop down alot they are OK.

ZM 21/2.8 is very good though, as are all the other Leicas. SEM 21 is best.

BTW ZM18 is also very good if coded as 21 pre-asph

MCTuomey

Sean Reid has reviewed the CV 21 on the M240 favorably (more I can't say since his site is subscription-based).

+1 re the SEM 21's excellence and also the ZM 21/2.8, but the CV 21 obviously is the value leader.

silver92b

This not really an answer to the question, but if I might be forgiven, perhaps another question might be useful. Have you considered the CV 15mm UWA lens? The last version is very "friendly" to the 240 camera and has negligible to no fringe issues which dog the other wide angle lenses I tried including the previous version of the CV 15mm, the 21mm Color Snapshot and I think another one I can't remember. IMHO, when I tried WA lenses, I found the wider the better.... Anyway, just a suggestion.

Cheers!

seakayaker

This was taken with a M-P 240 and a Elmarit-M 21mm f2.8 pre-ASPH

..... a very nice lens that works with the 240. I do not see them on the market too often however.

iiiNelson

When I shot the M9 I "settled" on the CV 21/1.8 but I had my eyes on the 21 Elmarit, The Zeiss 21/2.8, and the 21 Super Elmar... Mostly because the 21 Lux was more than I was willing to spend on a focal length I wasn't 100% sure about at the time.

All of these are great to excellent lenses IMO.