The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S 006 Need Feedback from Forum Experience

rollsman44

Trying to see if this will suit my needs. I shoot mainly portraits and Family groups and use Flash OCF and sometimes on Camera flash most of the time. Will require a good image at Max ISO 1250
Don't need to shoot at higher ISO. Thanks Also, I like to shoot handheld as well but I normally shoot on Monopod

erlingmm

The S006 is a fantastic camera. I did a whole wedding at ISO800 with good light. ISO 1250 is on the edge, but may work with some grain. The challenge is to have sufficient shutter speed if you work handheld.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Trying to see if this will suit my needs. I shoot mainly portraits and Family groups and use Flash OCF and sometimes on Camera flash most of the time. Will require a good image at Max ISO 1250
Don't need to shoot at higher ISO. Thanks Also, I like to shoot handheld as well but I normally shoot on Monopod
Pass on it

Seriously ... I have had 4 S cameras ... most recently the S 006 and while its imaging at ISO base to 400 is stellar ... 1250 will not work ... acceptable image but
you had better nail it at 800 and increase in post.

The lenses are stellar but there are issues with corrosion on the sensor like that of the S2 S2-P Leica M9 and M9-P Leica Monochrom MM1.

Now if you want to mortgage the house ... sell the Bently and bike to your shoots the S 007 is perfect at 1600.

I did almost all of my S 006 on a monopod ... handheld in bright light. With strobes it is fabulous less so with flash.

Just pray you do not need to send it in ... 6 months seems to be the new new fast track for Leica.

My original S2-P needed work and I had a loaner in 36 hours ... my recent S 006 needed work and I was told by my dealer that he needed to
check the camera first ... two round trips to California at my expense ... $300 before he found what I was describing. I traded out of it as
obviously the Platinum warranty also has a corrosion issue.

Forgive me for saying this but with your multiple posts you seem to be a bit conflicted as to direction and your personal vision. Perhaps listing your
top five priorities and then reading the threads would be helpful.

I am not convinced that switching from your Pentax will increase either your satisfaction or your art or photography. Adding a few strobes ... modifiers and
backgrounds will do more for you than a new sensor box or lens. Profoto battery packs or the new Light and Motion Stella will give you great results for travel
or the Profoto B2s as a simple system that will far exceed your on camera flash. LOT cheaper.

Really the S 006 has great color but is not a high ISO camera and since I normally shoot at ISO 100 ... to me 1250 is high ISO and is pushing the limits of this camera.

Regards,

Bob

rollsman44

Fantastic people on this forum. I appreciate the Truth and personal experience on these cameras. I do use Strobes and monolights . I had some concerns about me switching to an S and I NOW realize to keep what I have. Thank you so much.

aDam007

BEST SENSOR EVER MADE FOR SKIN/PORTRAITS.

But don't believe me because I'm selling one right now. TBF I'm just selling one because I've had a falling out with Leica over servicing.

So I will give you one piece of advice. IF you buy anything from Leica, and you're a pro, have a backup. IF you're not a pro, don't worry about it and enjoy the S-006 because it's awesome!

Get the 120S Macro or 100S, but I'd honestly recommend the 120S macro since it's far cheaper. And yes again, I'm selling it, but I'm also selling the 100S and I'd not recommend it over the 120 for what you're saying you want to shoot.

Paratom

I have used S006 and now S007 for family and casual things.
While I agree there are cameras where-at pixel level- 1250 ISO comes out more clean and it is recommended to stay at and below 800 with the S006, I still find it is a great system, and IMO gives excellent skin tones and color, and great bokeh.
I have shot it 90% handhold. Also the lenses are very good even wide open, this is a big advantage IMO.
I also like the fact it is relativly slim and unobstrusive for a medium format camera.

I have had to send my S2 in twice and also my S006 in, also my S007 once, I have never waited longer than max. 1 months.
I am located in Germany however. In one case, where I had to send in the camera a second time they also gave me a free loaner camera for that time.
So experiences seem to differ.
Reading the forums indicates repair times have become very long in some cases.