The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Heavystar Lens Hoods

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Since this has been asked several times ...I thought I would post a "heads up" ..heavystar has in stock 46mm wide and 55mm wide screw in metal hoods. Guy came up with this or was an early adopter .

The 35 lux and the 28 summicron both have large hoods and in the case of the 35Lux a madding attachment process. The screw in metal hoods from heavystar ...a ebay seller ...are great replacements. They are cheap less than $10 so if you dent one no big deal. I think they are best left on the lens without a cap. My standard procedure is to use one of the Leica lens cloths and just clean the filter everytime I mount a lens and before starting a shoot.

He also has a 55mm wide version which is not dramatically flared .so its like a 60-62 outer diameter ...this works great on the 24 but cuts off on the 21.

I also use heavystar hoods on my 90 apo and 50lux because the built in hoods are too short and a M8 can handle a longer hood....I think these were a 46mm normal and a 55mm normal . Simple round metal hoods.

Heavystar is frequently out of these so when they have them its best to get what you need. You can find them by looking for heavystar s ebay store .

Terry

I think for the 28 cron I am using the 46 wide version not the regular and it works fine.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes its the wide version of the 46 for both the 28/2 and the 35/1.4. The normal is a extension on the 50/1.4 if you find the pull out head a bit short. Leica hoods are designed for the maximum usable on the FF film cameras ...so on an M8 you can use a longer hood.

Thanks for the heads up Roger. I just got one for my 28/2. It feels so unnatural buying something for my Leica M system for so cheap. I like it.

Mark