The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing with the DMR

P

pascal_meheut

But what I really liked to shoot are cars. Like this Porsche 911, 135mm/2.8.

P

pascal_meheut

I'm really sad to have to sell my DMR (see FS/WB section). But since I turned 40, I really had trouble to focus it efficiently even with better screens, a magnifier...

Also, I'm shooting mainly in urbans environments now and the DMR is often too big and heavy. Too bad because the image quality is something special indeed.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Come on, Pascal, you're just beginning your life. I'm 62 and Woody? And we're happily shooting our DMRs, and in focus, and schlepping the gear...

doug

Come on, Pascal, you're just beginning your life. I'm 62 and Woody? And we're happily shooting our DMRs, and in focus, and schlepping the gear...
I'm 56 and I've been using reading glasses since I was 40. It's not as easy to focus manually as before 40 but it's not really difficult.

Diopter settings or a correction lens might do the trick.

P

pascal_meheut

I know other people can still MF with a SLR easily but this is not my case and I tried many solutions.
I have to say it has been a slow, slow downhill since I was 20 but it accelerated recently.
I can not use the microprisms on low constrast subjects or in low light mainly. And this is a big problem for me.

Maybe I'll come back of Leica if they finally launch the R10.

Another picture to say good-bye to my hard to sell DMR : with the 15mm/2.8 ASPH this time.

P

pascal_meheut

I cannot use those focussing aids; my solution was the full matte screen.
I've not been able to use a full matte screen for the last 15 years at least. Too bad, it was my favorite on my good old Canon F1-N.
You are lucky.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guys, I will share a little trick with you that works for me. I'm 58, and blind as a bat without glasses. NONE of the focusing aids works worth a darn for me unless the light is bright daylight, and even then it was hit and miss with the DMR. But the one thing that always worked was watching the contrast as I was focusing. Leica glass just seems to snap into high contrast when it is focused correctly using the DMR. Even in very low light. It does take some time to train your eye to see it, and especially your brain to accept it, but once you master it I found nothing better.... That trick, combined with using hyper-focal distance presetting were the magic combination.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Guys, I will share a little trick with you that works for me. I'm 58, and blind as a bat without glasses. NONE of the focusing aids works worth a darn for me unless the light is bright daylight, and even then it was hit and miss with the DMR. But the one thing that always worked was watching the contrast as I was focusing. Leica glass just seems to snap into high contrast when it is focused correctly using the DMR. Even in very low light. It does take some time to train your eye to see it, and especially your brain to accept it, but once you master it I found nothing better.... That trick, combined with using hyper-focal distance presetting were the magic combination.
Interesting post :lecture::salute:- It made me realize that that was exactly what I was doing without knowing I did. Another thing that works well for me is not focussing on the subject but on another part of the image with better structure that lies in the same focal plane. For instance furry or feathered subjects are often hard, but the grass just beside them easy. I can then "walk" the focus through the image from front to rear.

K

kelvin

My very first DMR shot, my living room when I first moved in. Still have it, but use my M8 mostly now due to size and weight. Not planning to sell it yet, too many R lenses accumulated over the years.

Kelvin