The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your favorite Leica?

jdphoto

I'm sure this might have been asked before, but humor me as my nostalgia and melancholy for Leica's I once owned has me again rethinking how to incorporate these beauties into my workflow. I was curious of all the Leica film and digital models, which were some of the best or worst from users experiences here. Personally, I owned the M6 TTL, M9, and M3, 50mm, 35mm Summicron. I sold them all to fund other endeavors...I regret that very much because no other camera (digital/film) has given me the elemental value of simplicity and joy of composition. (My Rolleiflex 3.5f comes close though). This is not always practical, but shooting with Leica has always been a rewarding experience that i've yet to find in today's mirrorless offerings. Obviously, this all personal and i'm keeping my A7Rii and amazing FE lenses, but I need a back up camera for my style of work. Do any of the newer digital models have that contrasty CCD quality of the M9? I'd like to spend less time editing too, so OOC images are important. I'm leaning towards a few very different models though. The Q looks amazing on paper. Portable and with the 28mm 1.7 Summilux is a great focal length for me. The 10fps and AF is a major bonus and this camera would be a great combo to have for my workflow as my semi wide angle. Black and white has always been close to me as does the MM for it's absence of interpolating color and purely measuring luminance levels, but will a digital color sensor replicate that MM look? On the other side is the MP, a purely mechanical film camera that oozes character and since I develop my own film a slow, but practical option. But an M body and 50mm Summilux 1.4 ASPH is my absolute top budget. The Q might be a good way to ease back in and save a bit. Thanks for any insights, experiences or the occasional intervention.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

None of their cameras!

But a few of their lenses APO-R 280/4, Vario-R 105-280/4.2, ... Summilux-R 80/1.4, AA-M 75/2, ... WATE-M 16-18-21/4 and oh maybe some 30 to 40 more.

Using the R and M manual only lenses in autofocus mode with the TechArt Pro adapter on Sony A7r.2 is like magic! :)

pegelli

None of their cameras!
Same here, I have an M2 (nice) and had a IIIf (sold) and R3 (stolen). I never used anything more modern from Leica so can't really comment on their cameras. At this moment they're out of the price range I want to pay for a digital camera body, so I guess I won't be building any experience with them soon.

Voting with my feet my most favorite lens is the M-Summaron 35/2.8, looking on digital (E-mount) it's used more then all my other M-lenses together (50/2 & 3.5, 90/2.8 & 4).
Also when I was regularly using my M2 this lens was on it for more then 50% of the time.

jdphoto

None of their cameras!

But a few of their lenses APO-R 280/4, Vario-R 105-280/4.2, ... Summilux-R 80/1.4, AA-M 75/2, ... WATE-M 16-18-21/4 and oh maybe some 30 to 40 more.

Using the R and M manual only lenses in autofocus mode with the TechArt Pro adapter on Sony A7r.2 is like magic! :)
That is an interesting option and i'll look into that adapter. I'v read many wonderful things about R lenses and have seen their value go up too. Yes, this would be a cheaper option in some situations, but I still need a back up camera for client work that does't need prints larger then 16x20.

jdphoto

Same here, I have an M2 (nice) and had a IIIf (sold) and R3 (stolen). I never used anything more modern from Leica so can't really comment on their cameras. At this moment they're out of the price range I want to pay for a digital camera body, so I guess I won't be building any experience with them soon.

Voting with my feet my most favorite lens is the M-Summaron 35/2.8, looking on digital (E-mount) it's used more then all my other M-lenses together (50/2 & 3.5, 90/2.8 & 4).
Also when I was regularly using my M2 this lens was on it for more then 50% of the time.
Another option is to use adapters on a Sony A6500 as a back up, but it's the user experience I miss. That just staring at my camera when not in use kinda feel. I know this doesn't make sense sometimes, but to me, it's a viable part of the experienced that leads me to inspiration. At least that's my hope.

Just bought an M-D. It has become my favorite. I have an 006 and 007, and really like the image quality of them, but the M-D is just a lot of fun to use.

Let's see, in terms of history, I've had an M3, M6, M7, M9-P, MM1, and an S2. Yep, the M-D has been the most fun. Never ever selling it.

ReeRay

I'm never happier than when I'm out with my M240 and either the 50mm Summilux Asph or 35mm Summilux FLE.

Also own an M6 TTL 0.58 (spectacle wearer) where the above lenses perform admirably.

doug

When using film my favorite is the Leicaflex SL modified to use ROM lenses. Digital? The SL.

Godfrey

The Leica SL has now become my standard camera. It is incredibly versatile, can use all of my M and R lenses with Leica adapters as well as the native SL lenses, and produces outstanding results with all of them (better results with the M and R lenses than my Sony A7 did by a long shot).

But my favorite Leica camera has become the ultra-simple M-D typ 262. Just the very basic essentials, just raw files, and very few controls on the body: a clean and simple photographer's camera. It reminds me of other favorite cameras through the years like my Nikon FM2n and Hasselblad SWC: no frills or unnecessary stuff. It is the digital equivalent of my M4-2 with MR-4 meter fitted.

G

pegelli

Another option is to use adapters on a Sony A6500 as a back up, but it's the user experience I miss. That just staring at my camera when not in use kinda feel. I know this doesn't make sense sometimes, but to me, it's a viable part of the experienced that leads me to inspiration. At least that's my hope.
I agree, I can have such a feeling as well. Fortunately I still have my M2 that I can look at. However when I'm saturated by the experience you describe I still pick up my Sony to go out and take pictures. The M2 sees no more then one film a year.

DB5

Black M4 with a Noctilux f1.0

You know, back when Leica was reliable.

But love is a funny thing. When you fall in love you are blind to the things you should't love or haven't yet discovered them. When you fall out of love you are blind to the things you used to love.

Last edited:

JohnBrew

Between the film M's it would come down to a toss up between the M3 and M4. I liked both for different reasons. I never did care for the M4 type take-up roll and film loading, but the rewind lever was a big improvement (to me).
Digital - I've had most of the major M models. Hands down the M8.2 - the one Leica got right with no problems. I never had any problems with the M8 either, but when some shutters started falling apart three years after introduction I let mine go.

scott kirkpatrick

My go-to Leica is now an SL with M and R lenses, maybe someday soon an SL zoom.

My favorite Leica M for many years was an M2 with a Canon 35/2.0, then an M8.2 with the 28 Elmarit-asph, then M9 with the super-Elmar 21, then M240. But recently it has been a Fuji X Pro2, used with a 35mm (50 eff) f/2 small, waterproof and AF lens.

scott

herrbarnack

My favorite Leica of all is my M-P 240. It is easy to work with, it's small and highly portable to the point that I carry it with me 99.5% of the time, it is quiet in operation, the printed image quality is outstanding and it truly a beautiful little piece of machinery.

dhsimmonds

For me it has to be the old R9 with DMR digital back and many of the good R lenses. When I heard a rumour that Leica were discontinuing the R line, I sold the lot before I lost a shed load of money. So apart from Panasonic designed Leica badged cameras I have never owned a true Leica since but I do have a hankering for the Leica Q !!

wattsy

Any of the film bodies with 35mm frames will do for me. Given a choice I prefer a non-metered body and as such am very happy with what I have: the M-A. There isn't anything about it I don't like, nor is there anything it hasn't got that I'd like. Perfect camera and easily the favourite of those I've owned.

gregkoz

Loved the first Leica I ever had was an M3 with dual range Summicron, next love was Black Paint M4 with 35mm Summilux and 21mm f3.4, next love was M9 Monochrom and Leica Q which is where I am today. Various lenses including 28mm f2.8 / Ultron 35mm f1.7, 21mm f1.8, 50mm f1.5.
Leica will always have a place in my heart and camera bag .........