The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10 coming on Thursday 1-19-17??

doug

For 4k video pretty sure, but I would be happy with 1k video and this is possible in much smaller and plastic housed cameras. And anyway, if it needed to be 1mm thicker I would not have complained either and rather have a much more capable camera than just something beautiful that is almost completely outdated.
A smaller sensor doesn't generate as much heat and it seems that one of the design constraints was "no thicker than a film M". Leica can't please everyone. They still don't make a camera I'm willing to spend my money on (though the SL is very close to such a camera).

Godfrey

I also own other cameras that support video in a great way (Fuji XT2), but my frustration comes from the fact that if I want to carry ONLY the M10, ... need to use my iPhone then. And this from such an expensive camera!
(bolded) Personally, I can't see what's wrong with that at all. It's what I do 99% of the time, even when I have my SL with me. The iPhone 6 makes excellent videos ... I would only move to the SL (or an M, or even the X typ 113) to do video if I was actually Making Videos—you know, with a script and shot list, etc.

How costly a camera is makes no difference whatsoever. An Alpa MFD camera is three-four times the price of an M10 and it can't do video either. So what?

Peter, don't wait. IF you want to do videos, start doing them with the equipment you have at hand. An iPhone is an amazing (if limited) video camera. Buy a set of lenses for it .. Moment makes good lenses and cases for the iPhone (https://momentlens.co) .. and get shooting! :D

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
(bolded) Personally, I can't see what's wrong with that at all. It's what I do 99% of the time, even when I have my SL with me. The iPhone 6 makes excellent videos ... I would only move to the SL (or an M, or even the X typ 113) to do video if I was actually Making Videos—you know, with a script and shot list, etc.

How costly a camera is makes no difference whatsoever. An Alpa MFD camera is three-four times the price of an M10 and it can't do video either. So what?

Peter, don't wait. IF you want to do videos, start doing them with the equipment you have at hand. An iPhone is an amazing (if limited) video camera. Buy a set of lenses for it .. Moment makes good lenses and cases for the iPhone (https://momentlens.co) .. and get shooting! :D

G
Godfrey,

many thanks for your advise!

But it actually will not help. I have everything from not-Leica to do video, excellent video. My point was (and is) that I want (wanted) the M10 to handle this and this is not possible - too bad.

Forces me to rethink my Leica strategy and make the decisions for my future based on where we are today (what we get today). Will do so but I am quite sorry that this will most probably not be with Leica.

But of course I am fully aware that they do not need my money to survive and so all this rambling will not change anything.

Peter

Godfrey

You had a Leica strategy?? That's beyond anything I've ever had. :angel:

(In 2001, I wanted Nikon to make something like the SL and move forward with all my existing, then 20+ year old Nikon lenses and other equipment. But they didn't, they didn't even make bodies that I liked anymore, so I moved to other things. I was momentarily disappointed, but eh? I'm only one customer, as you imply, and their fortunes do not rest upon my money... )

The mix of what Leica is making now suits some people well and others not so well. It was ever thus.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You had a Leica strategy?? That's beyond anything I've ever had. :angel:

(In 2001, I wanted Nikon to make something like the SL and move forward with all my existing, then 20+ year old Nikon lenses and other equipment. But they didn't, they didn't even make bodies that I liked anymore, so I moved to other things. I was momentarily disappointed, but eh? I'm only one customer, as you imply, and their fortunes do not rest upon my money... )

The mix of what Leica is making now suits some people well and others not so well. It was ever thus.

G
;) :banghead::banghead::banghead: ;)

uhoh7

It's a great release :)

Much nicer in use because of the footprint, OVF and shutter, and increased usable ISO from 1600 to 6400 over 240. No camera is perfect, still heavy and batteries not great, but all things considered they hit the ball out of the park.

I never heard a M240 user admit to video, so I doubt lack of it will hurt much. Technically a sony r2 BSI sensor could be in this form factor and shoot 4k without overheating. But I don't think that was an option for Leica.

Certainly a small EVF FF L mount with "everything" would be a huge hit, and rumors are flying they have one in the works, or alternately it is not. :lecture:

Whatever, M10 is the new M9. Good job, Leica. :clap:

algrove

It's a great release :)

Much nicer in use because of the footprint, OVF and shutter, and increased usable ISO from 1600 to 6400 over 240. No camera is perfect, still heavy and batteries not great, but all things considered they hit the ball out of the park.

I never heard a M240 user admit to video, so I doubt lack of it will hurt much. Technically a sony r2 BSI sensor could be in this form factor and shoot 4k without overheating. But I don't think that was an option for Leica.

Certainly a small EVF FF L mount with "everything" would be a huge hit, and rumors are flying they have one in the works, or alternately it is not. :lecture:

Whatever, M10 is the new M9. Good job, Leica. :clap:
Not up on what an L mount is. Kindly help. TIA.

D&A

The M10 on paper (specs, features, etc.) As well as in the hand (feel, operation and more), certainly looks like a hit and justifiably so in my opinion. This is especially true for many M9 users that were not enthralled with the M240 for a variety of reasons, including its color output. This was acutely evident when it was first released although it must be said, it improved in this regard dramatically with subsequent firmware updates during its run.

With all this said, proof will be in the pudding, which will be actual output of files from the M10...not only by Leica ( of which I wasn't enthralled with some of the images they posted) and the usual reviewers of Leica cameras (which I very much appreciate their efforts), but of the legions of early adopters who rigerously put it through its paces and examine its files.

It was this process and these individuals that fleshed out some of the color output issues for quite a few users of the M240 (and yes I am aware of applying profiles.

I would love the M10 to be the new M9, especially with its "back to basics" approach while incorporaring many of the recent advances almost all users of the Leica rangefinder can appreciate.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Godfrey

I like the size, but am puzzled over just one SD card?
I have had two card slots in my Olympus E-5, Nikon D750, and Leica SL. I've honestly never seen much need to keep two cards in the camera, however. Why specifically do you want two card slots?

I don't know why they didn't put two slots in the M10 ... perhaps lack of space, perhaps they didn't think it was necessary for the type of camera the M is.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have had two card slots in my Olympus E-5, Nikon D750, and Leica SL. I've honestly never seen much need to keep two cards in the camera, however. Why specifically do you want two card slots?

I don't know why they didn't put two slots in the M10 ... perhaps lack of space, perhaps they didn't think it was necessary for the type of camera the M is.

G
Why need 2 cards if there is no video :clap:

jdphoto

G
I guess it's something I've come to expect in new models. As you've pointed out all those other cameras that do have dual card options. I think it's part of the planned obsolescence in digital that personally, I think sucks. These constant upgrade paths that turn cameras into powerful computers, but can't put in dual SD card slots. CF cards will be obsolete, if not already. I used to shoot with Hasselblad digital and 1 CF card on location and never tethered. At that time there were no other options for redundancy when location shooting, but when I started doing weddings and better paying assignments the need for a back up was imperative where re-shoots are not an option.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I guess it's something I've come to expect in new models. As you've pointed out all those other cameras that do have dual card options. I think it's part of the planned obsolescence in digital that personally, I think sucks. These constant upgrade paths that turn cameras into powerful computers, but can't put in dual SD card slots. CF cards will be obsolete, if not already. I used to shoot with Hasselblad digital and 1 CF card on location and never tethered. At that time there were no other options for redundancy when location shooting, but when I started doing weddings and better paying assignments the need for a back up was imperative where re-shoots are not an option.
Well, that's when I've needed/wanted a dual card camera: when instant write to two cards provides added security for 'one time only' client shooting. That's why it is a feature on professionally-targeted cameras, like the high end DSLRs and SL. But that's not the target for the M, and it's not generally the way most M users consider their cameras from what I've seen, so I don't miss it on the M at all.

I don't let things like this influence what I 'want' very much. :D

G

Godfrey

I realized it had been long enough since last I used the M-P with the EVF fitted that I couldn't rightly remember the nuances of using it. So I pulled it out, fitted the EVF, fitted the WATE and set framing to 1:1 (a typical configuration I use on the SL all the time) and tried to use it. I put it down two minutes later, and put it all away. The viewfinder doesn't hold a candle to the SL, but that's not really the issue.

The issue is simple and just what I've been saying all along: I don't like it much because there's nowhere to hold it comfortably. The buttons and the LCD on the back take up so much space that I'm trying to juggle it much like I have to juggle to hold an iPhone—there's no place for my fingers!—and I just don't like using it that way. Compared to the M-D and the SL which I can pick up and put down easily, which I can hold securely and without stress in any number of ways, that large LCD and the buttons all over the place just makes the M-P unergonomic for me.

When an "M-D10" or "M10D" appears, sans LCD and all the bloody buttons on the back, I'll be first in line due to the optical viewfinder and the improved sensor. But until then, I'm absolutely delighted with the M-D and have no interest in buying a new one.

I guess I'll just have to put that money towards a used Noctilux, eh? :angel:

G

uhoh7

Just some food for thought .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4tzJpbvU8

Build your own opinion ......
There has never been a shortage of people asking this question, starting with the rise of SLR in the 1960s

We will see any number of people telling us M10 is silly backward camera. Yet of all digital cameras from 2009, which is most valued today and still producing fantastic images?

That primitive Leica M9 :)

The M10 is a digital RF. It's not supposed to be a phone, or a DSLR. If you want one of them, it's best to buy that type of thing. :)

The only thing the 240 can do better than M10 is make poor video. Otherwise the M10 is nicer. That does not mean we all have to have one. I'll be keeping my M9, but I'd love one of these :)

Last edited:

D&A

>>>"The only thing the 240 can do better than M10 is make poor video. Otherwise the M10 is nicer. That does not mean we all have to have one. I'll be keeping my M9, but I'd love one of these"<<<

+1! Again its all subjective and some may have a very different opinion of which I respect, but I very much agree with the statement above.

Dave (D&A)