The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10 coming on Thursday 1-19-17??

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There has never been a shortage of people asking this question, starting with the rise of SLR in the 1960s

We will see any number of people telling us M10 is silly backward camera. Yet of all digital cameras from 2009, which is most valued today and still producing fantastic images?

That primitive Leica M9 :)

The M10 is a digital RF. It's not supposed to be a phone, or a DSLR. If you want one of them, it's best to buy that type of thing. :)

The only thing the 240 can do better than M10 is make poor video. Otherwise the M10 is nicer. That does not mean we all have to have one. I'll be keeping my M9, but I'd love one of these :)
I only would have expected that Leica makes a second (sister) model of the M10 that could do even mediocre video. This would have been the M camera for me to go.

Is this really so hard to understand that there are also some people out there who do not just belong to the hardcore M - RF shooters but would welcome some additional features on top of that? Especially if they are willing to spend 6-7k$ + for such a thing? Is it really such a bad thing just to ask for that?

Thank you for allowing also my opinion .....

^ in principle not. But on that same breath, the SL already does all of that with an EVF more suitable for the task and it can take all kinds of lenses including M-lenses.

Granted it's somewhat bigger, but not massively so. And price range is similar too. Thus it doesn't make financial sense for Leica.. you'd be making a camera for a tiny niche inside a niche.

herrbarnack

I'm very glad to see that Leica decided to commit to still photography and ditch the video mode in the M10. If I want to make videos, I will get a real video camera.

The battery issue is a disappointment IMHO. It would have been better to retain the M240 battery, but that was apparently not possible with the 3.5mm (0.137 inches) reduction in thickness that was demanded by many. Still not a good trade-off IMHO as the M240 handgrip M #14496 is not compatible with the M10.

I also wonder about the staying power of the M10 battery; will it have less life between charges than the #14499 battery?

V

Vivek

They could save on the power by making the shutter mechanical.

Perhaps in the M11?

jdphoto

Well, that's when I've needed/wanted a dual card camera: when instant write to two cards provides added security for 'one time only' client shooting. That's why it is a feature on professionally-targeted cameras, like the high end DSLRs and SL. But that's not the target for the M, and it's not generally the way most M users consider their cameras from what I've seen, so I don't miss it on the M at all.

I don't let things like this influence what I 'want' very much. :D

G
Leica is about simplicity and the purist. I get and appreciate that, but I don't think it looses that character with 2 SD cards. Many do shoot professionally with M cameras. I consider them professional tools. I'd love to own an SL, it's so dang sexy!

JeRuFo

Perhaps in the M11?
The shutter is not the problem ofcourse, it's the screen.
The beauty of the M10 is that you don't have to use the screen at all anymore for shooting or changing basic settings. You can shoot hundreds of extra images on a battery that way.

Godfrey

Perhaps in the M11?
The M10 shutter is mechanical, just electronically timed. I'd never want to go back to a mechanically timed shutter—electronic timing is so much more consistent and accurate, and underlies the ability to provide aperture priority exposure automation too.

From what Jono wrote in his article, the smaller battery is coupled with more efficient circuitry so the reduction in number of exposures per charge is pretty small. And of course there's no video to suck down power on a much heavier basis. I'm sure the M10's power profile will be fine.

G

D&A

And put back the film advance lever to cock it.
Just like the Epson RD-1 digital rangefinder of yore. I enjoyed that feature as it gave a virtually dead silent shutter release and recocking of the shutter.

Dave (D&A)

cam

And put back the film advance lever to cock it.
My absolute dream!!! Let me control the sound of the cock, not to mention how lovely it makes the camera feel in your hand!

Just like the Epson RD-1 digital rangefinder of yore. I enjoyed that feature as it gave a virtually dead silent shutter release and recocking of the shutter.

Dave (D&A)
Silent shutter on the RD-1 -- are you mad? That thing could wake the dead! But, ah, the recocking -- blissfully quiet... And there's nothing I loved more than getting into the rhythm of shooting with it.

I still have that camera. Love it to bits!

D&A

My absolute dream!!! Let me control the sound of the cock, not to mention how lovely it makes the camera feel in your hand!

Silent shutter on the RD-1 -- are you mad? That thing could wake the dead! But, ah, the recocking -- blissfully quiet... And there's nothing I loved more than getting into the rhythm of shooting with it.

I still have that camera. Love it to bits!
Lol Cam. From what I recall, mine made a very soft "click" when I pressed the shutter but alas they say time softens ones views so maybe I want to remember the RD-1 with fondness and ascribe kind thoughts about the sound of its shutter :).

I think though many who had the pleasure of owning the RD-1 camera had always hoped it would have been updated to a degree. As pointed out, it was a pleasure to shoot with, often discreet for reportage type work and of course uniquely designed. I'm beginning to miss what I no longer have :(

Dave (D&A)

D&A

As Dave pointed out, it has been done before. I had the Epson RD1 fora while. Tiny batteries.
So right. Tiny batteries but unlike those $120-200 batteries of todays rangefinders, $20.00 a pop would get one a whole bunch of them.

Dave (D&A)

fotografz

Just some food for thought .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4tzJpbvU8

Build your own opinion ......
Whew, tough to sit through. But I did. IMO ...

He makes his case for from a technophile's perspective. Ever advancing technology whether you want it, need it, or not. Not that I do not like technology ... as long as it is disciplined by intended purpose ... in this case a rangefinder.

The M is a rangefinder camera ... whether a rangefinder has a future is the marketing challenge Leica faces ... how the experience and results can differ in a proprietary manner from other types of cameras is Leica's communication challenge ... not how much Swiss army knife ancillary stuff you can stuff into the smallest space. Leica need not camoflage the M as something else, it needs to promote the rangefinder way of photography. They now have enough other cameras to free the M of the burden it has had to carry these past 4-5 years.

Horses for courses.

Which reminds me of the old adage ... "A Camel Is a Race Horse Designed By a Committee".:rolleyes:

- Marc

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Lol Cam. From what I recall, mine made a very soft "click" when I pressed the shutter but alas they say time softens ones views so maybe I want to remember the RD-1 with fondness and ascribe kind thoughts about the sound of its shutter :).

I think though many who had the pleasure of owning the RD-1 camera had always hoped it would have been updated to a degree. As pointed out, it was a pleasure to shoot with, often discreet for reportage type work and of course uniquely designed. I'm beginning to miss what I no longer have :(

Dave (D&A)
I still have my RD-1 somewhere. I think mine has a slightly tilted sensor. I never warmed up to shooting with it, but it had what is still the best set of analog gauges of any camera ever. Just turning the camera on and seeing those needles rotate into position ... Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember cars without all-electric dashboards.

Used an M9 for four years. I'm just not a rangefinder guy. (Which is odd, because I now have two rangefinder film cameras.) I tended to shoot wide (28 Cron), and the Leica viewfinder is not wide-friendly, especially if one wears glasses and has too much astigmatism for diopter correction. Yes, I did get a prescription viewfinder corrective lens. It fell out and got lost on its first outing.:banghead: Now a happy S user :cool:

--Matt

Paratom

IMO the M10 is a very nice move. The user interface is even more "analog" than earlier, with just 3 buttons and-as far as I can say now- a very clever menue-structure.
The camaera is sitting more secure in the hand (in my hand at least) and feels really slim.
Being able to ocassionally use the visofelx is a step forward as well. I never liked the VF2, but the Visoflex (which I know from the T) is really a good EVF. (Even though I mainly use the Ms with the rangefinder) But the option allows to also focus occaionally longer lenses or the Noctilux or UWA).

My assumtion regarding movie function: They got rid of 1 button, heat could have been one more factor, simplicity another one.
IMO for private/personal use movie recording without any sort of IS or sensor stabilization is not really that useful anyways, even though I wouldnt mind if that function still was there.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Whew, tough to sit through. But I did. IMO ...

He makes his case for from a technophile's perspective. Ever advancing technology whether you want it, need it, or not. Not that I do not like technology ... as long as it is disciplined by intended purpose ... in this case a rangefinder.

The M is a rangefinder camera ... whether a rangefinder has a future is the marketing challenge Leica faces ... how the experience and results can differ in a proprietary manner from other types of cameras is Leica's communication challenge ... not how much Swiss army knife ancillary stuff you can stuff into the smallest space. Leica need not camoflage the M as something else, it needs to promote the rangefinder way of photography. They now have enough other cameras to free the M of the burden it has had to carry these past 4-5 years.

Horses for courses.

Which reminds me of the old adage ... "A Camel Is a Race Horse Designed By a Committee".:rolleyes:

- Marc
Marc,

I think you are right although I still would have preferred video in the M10.

But finally at least we seem to have a pretty up to date digital RF available and if you take it just for that then it is ok.

Still not overwhelmed though!

Peter

Last edited:

uhoh7

I'm very glad to see that Leica decided to commit to still photography and ditch the video mode in the M10. If I want to make videos, I will get a real video camera.
Of course it would not look like a nice M lens ;)

Few used the video on M240, and it was not too good, but I'm no expert. I don't miss it on the M9. Even the iPhone shoots great video now, so one can pull out a phone. All that said, it is not rocket science to shoot 1080p with a small FF camera, like A7. I don't think Leica should get extra points for not having it. ;)

But I wouldn't miss it and many won't.

The camera "should" be 150 grams lighter and shoot nice video, but the world is full of "shoulds" that aren't It's available now and many steps forward. Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good.

rayyan

I, on behalf of all the camels, take issue with this biased and uniformed statement.

The person/s who made this statement must not have had any experience with camels, except rare glimpse in NatGeo or the zoo.

Having grown up and lived with camels all my life, one thing I am certain of.
No committee would or could possibly design this beautiful animate machine, the camel.

Fit for purpose. Every single instinct tuned to perfection to survive in its environs.

This statement is biased, homophobic, racially tinged, and deplorable. And simply untrue.

A camel lover.

- Marc