The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mr. Kaltner out...

rayyan

Rumours suggest that coming from Microsoft, Mr. Kaltner was more attuned to running a big corporation.

Rather than a traditional run company. He must have ruffled some feathers, trying to put forth a new vision for Leica, and along the way some modern managerial practices.

Difficult in a small company like Leica.

Thoughts?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would say the task to manage Leica is extremely tough, especially as they are still a family owned company. And this translates always into difficult situation ---- I speak from experience ;)

scott kirkpatrick

Lee was a collector of classic Leicas with a background in consumer electronics marketing (Best Buy or Circuit City) but no technology understanding that I could see. He proposed that the M8 would be subject to technology upgrades as new sensors became available, which was not a very good idea. But he did make a strong effort to atone for the IR sensitivity fiasco, with lens discounts and free filters, all of which I was able to take advantage of. I think his "vision" did not fit.

Perhaps Kaltner expressed a "vision" as well and found it wasn't encouraged. I would expect that his understanding of how hard engineering can be was better than Lee's.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With all those "super managers" getting involved by the owners I continue to not understand why they were not able to coordinate prior of signing the contract.

In both examples it was a rather short intermezzo and I am sure it could have been avoided would the owners have honestly told the CEO in spe what they were really looking for.

I think it is less an issue of the CEOs but of the owners hiring them.

Anyway exchanging 3 CEOs in 8 years is not really shining much good light on that ownership team.

V

Vivek

It was the monoblock promo video fiasco of their APS-C mirrorless camera based on the NEX-5N sensor.

DB5

With everything that has been going down with Leica of late, the threads here and everywhere on every forum about terrible service and widespread faulty equipment, the resentment that has been building in people who have spent large fortunes on gear to have nothing properly resolved, the distrust they have fostered by keeping them and new potential owners in the dark. The bringing out of new systems which are hard to understand, the dogs breakfast of a product portfolio and the lack of strong vision reflected in naming convention changes - I am not surprised, at all, that heads are rolling. What a mess. I think it is very strange to see such a company turn over so many CEO's.

Paratom

When I read some forums (specially the Leica Forum, not so much here on getdpi) there are so many people who know what Leica should do, and what they do wrong so I assume there will be a ton of application letters from Leica forum members to do the job.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
When I read some forums (specially the Leica Forum, not so much here on getdpi) there are so many people who know what Leica should do, and what they do wrong so I assume there will be a ton of application letters from Leica forum members to do the job.
Maybe time to volunteer? At least should be great fun for a few years of great salary!

So what to complain about?

V

Vivek

I have a few ideas on the designer, ltd edition thingies they can produce and sell. :toocool:

bab

Just maybe it's a bright new day with Leica about to launch several new products in 2017 their needs for not only leadership but marketing might have needed a twist in a CEO.
After never being without a Leica for the last 30 years in November of 2016 I sold the last of my Leica gear. It was my favorite camera to hold but frustrated me to get the consistent results wanted.

I will say with the M240 Leica came close to making a great camera but it just lacked the finishing strides not only in software but the viewfinder, screen and shutter. Leica seems to still have the Majic and I hope I will buy a new Leica one day. It will have to be along the lines of the M10 but not dumbed down and restricted Leica will have to re invent not only themselves but re invent the camera.

My dream a water resistant light weight 50+ MP that has top quality fast lens selection, tilting touch screen, large OVF and EVF combination viewfinder, smart electronics, blazing FPS rate, high ISO, wifi, IS, shutter realse on back, continuous Auto bracketing, programmable buttons and great DR. This camera should be simple to use, feel great in your hands, be suited to Nikon flash technology. It should have GPS and share smartphone cabailities. This camera would have a battery that would be still able to rely on after taking 1000 images at fast rate.
All of the above is possible as of two or three years ago what I would like to see Leica produce is what I can't imagine then I back in the game.

Paratom

Just maybe it's a bright new day with Leica about to launch several new products in 2017 their needs for not only leadership but marketing might have needed a twist in a CEO.
After never being without a Leica for the last 30 years in November of 2016 I sold the last of my Leica gear. It was my favorite camera to hold but frustrated me to get the consistent results wanted.

I will say with the M240 Leica came close to making a great camera but it just lacked the finishing strides not only in software but the viewfinder, screen and shutter. Leica seems to still have the Majic and I hope I will buy a new Leica one day. It will have to be along the lines of the M10 but not dumbed down and restricted Leica will have to re invent not only themselves but re invent the camera.

My dream a water resistant light weight 50+ MP that has top quality fast lens selection, tilting touch screen, large OVF and EVF combination viewfinder, smart electronics, blazing FPS rate, high ISO, wifi, IS, shutter realse on back, continuous Auto bracketing, programmable buttons and great DR. This camera should be simple to use, feel great in your hands, be suited to Nikon flash technology. It should have GPS and share smartphone cabailities. This camera would have a battery that would be still able to rely on after taking 1000 images at fast rate.
All of the above is possible as of two or three years ago what I would like to see Leica produce is what I can't imagine then I back in the game.
for my taste this would just be another piece of overloaded junk. Why not a solar driven Micro camera implemented in the nose which films real time in 100MP at 120 fms/sec, automatically transfers Images per satelite phone to a Server, where a big data selection Software will automatically Transfer a selection to our flatscreen when you come home in the evening. you dont even have to decide your own which Images are worth, the Computer will do it for us.

fotografz

My idea of a bright new day at Leica is a simple rangefinder camera that defies relentless technological obsolescence by leaving the user in charge of most basic functions ... a box holding media, the best rangefinder optics possible with excellent lenses and traditional controls. All beautifully designed and crafted to keep for years. Maybe that's the M-10 ... well see. I thought that the MM was such a camera, one that I could keep for decades like my film Ms ... and it has proven not to be because of the sensor corrosion.

In a few years cell phones will have automated photography to such an incredible degree that 98% of everything shot will be phone based and cloud saved. Already there is Portrait mode with bokeh backgrounds and super low light performance. Next comes algorithms to enhance resolution for any sized use. Apple and Samsung have more money that all the camera companies combined by an exponential factor. Billions of phones and Trillions of images calls for opposing thinking ...

Also, to make the "bright new day" work, Leica needs to address their reliability and scandalous service issues now! They cannot shovel off shoddy stuff at astronomical prices then move onto the next new thing!!!!!:thumbdown:

Paratom

My idea of a bright new day at Leica is a simple rangefinder camera that defies relentless technological obsolescence by leaving the user in charge of most basic functions ... a box holding media, the best rangefinder optics possible with excellent lenses and traditional controls. All beautifully designed and crafted to keep for years. Maybe that's the M-10 ... well see. I thought that the MM was such a camera, one that I could keep for decades like my film Ms ... and it has proven not to be because of the sensor corrosion.

In a few years cell phones will have automated photography to such an incredible degree that 98% of everything shot will be phone based and cloud saved. Already there is Portrait mode with bokeh backgrounds and super low light performance. Next comes algorithms to enhance resolution for any sized use. Apple and Samsung have more money that all the camera companies combined by an exponential factor. Billions of phones and Trillions of images calls for opposing thinking ...

Also, to make the "bright new day" work, Leica needs to address their reliability and scandalous service issues now! They cannot shovel off shoddy stuff at astronomical prices then move onto the next new thing!!!!!:thumbdown:
why not get sensor replaced and continue to use the MM if it fulfils all you want?

I am quite happy with the Leica products how they are, simple user interface, very good IQ.
What I woud like to see:
- a faster AF, weather sealed T Body
- more native lenses for the SL system, sooon please!!!
- better service for everybody (some seem happy, other seem to get bad , slow service)
- more communication from Leica about product strategy etc.

Greenaa

I agree with your comments.

While I of course cannot comment on the longevity of the M10 sensor and electronics, I can say that in terms of design and functionality, the mature digital M has arrived with the M10. The design priorities are correct and appropriate.

Best Regards,

ACG

fotografz

why not get sensor replaced and continue to use the MM if it fulfils all you want?

I am quite happy with the Leica products how they are, simple user interface, very good IQ.
What I woud like to see:
- a faster AF, weather sealed T Body
- more native lenses for the SL system, sooon please!!!
- better service for everybody (some seem happy, other seem to get bad , slow service)
- more communication from Leica about product strategy etc.
Because the MM replacement sensor isn't a corrected one ... so it also will fail. I don't know about anyone else, but I've already spent an inordinate amount of time getting Leica Products fixed, as well as being without them while they take a month of Sundays to fix it.

Like you, I also am happy with the interface and results for the most part. But if you do not "generally" trust a product, or the company's ability to provide timely reliable service, then the IQ doesn't matter.

- Marc

Paratom

Because the MM replacement sensor isn't a corrected one ... so it also will fail. I don't know about anyone else, but I've already spent an inordinate amount of time getting Leica Products fixed, as well as being without them while they take a month of Sundays to fix it.

Like you, I also am happy with the interface and results for the most part. But if you do not "generally" trust a product, or the company's ability to provide timely reliable service, then the IQ doesn't matter.

- Marc
I have been lucky so far, far less failures than you and far better experience with service.
In my case I didn't have any more "problems" with Leica products than I had with Nikon/Pentax or Olympus over the last years. I hope this will not change tomorrow after typing this sentence ;)

rickgrainger

:
And this is one of the things that stays in the forefront of my mind. I've already had a bride at a consultation wag her iPhone under my nose and state disdainfully, "I have 150 friends with these. I don't need you." :angry::cussing:
Maybe I need to find that forest in Japan that elderly people walk into and don't come out. (Aokigahara Forest)
Nah, I'm too stubborn.

But, that is all off topic. Sorry, took an off ramp there.

2017 will hopefully draw back the curtain on a lot of Leica's plans. Hopefully, the new CEO will do a fantastic job.