The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

used M8 plus shutter upgrade or new M8.2?

cam

my Epson died this morning and i'm not sure how long it will take in service. whilst i have other cameras in my arsenal, they just aren't the same. i am addicted to rangefinder photography, for better or for worse.

i can't really afford it right now, but... this did get me thinking about the M8. the shutter noise is my biggest issue, so i would definitely have to do the upgrade for that.

with all you know now, what would you do? buy a used M8 (where quality could be an issue unless it's from one the darling members here), knowing you would have to cough up a somewhat obscene amount of money later for the shutter upgrade) or buy a brand new black M8.2?

thank you in advance for any and all input!

stevem8

That is a tough one. Personally, I am happy with the M8 shutter noise. Its not that loud at all to me, but if money was no object I would buy a BP M8.2 and rest easy knowing that it is brand new, untouched and has a 3 year warranty.

But if money was an issue (and it always is for me) I would buy a used M8 from a reputable seller, as long as it was not one of the very early bodies. To me, buying a 2 year old M8 without warranty is a bit scary as I would be worried about the costs to fix it if something went wrong.

Good luck!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The newest firmware does allow you to at least hide a part of the shutter noise on the original M8s. I don't even think of the shutter noise as an issue, but then everyone has their own preferences.

I'm very glad I bought my M8 new when I did, it was far enough along in the production cycle and seems pretty stable (knock on wood). So I guess if it were me, I'd go with a used one from someone you know and trust. There's been some incredible deals here on this site recently. The difference in price would allow for the purchase of a mildly decadent lens to mount on it.

Mine is going with me to the beyond. ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
bear in mind that the shutter upgrade adds one year to the warranty for the full camera, so presumably, Leica addresses any known issues when doing the shutter work

cam

thank you all!

as i stated at the beginning -- the shutter IS an issue for me, stupid as it may sound to some. i have heard it with the updated firmware and it still isn't quiet enough.

the qualms i have with getting a used M8 is twofold:

1) all the good ones (i.e., those that were babied by known and loved members of the forum here) have already been sold. to get one for the $2500, i would most probably have to buy it from an unknown person -- so the camera may or may not have issues....

2) the cheapest authorised dealers are selling them is $3500 -- more in Europe (with the price of the shutter upgrade being €1200 -- don't know the $ amount) which bring me to the price of a mint demo M8.2.

does this make sense? this is my quandary....

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Yes, that make sense to me. You could post a WTB in the Sale forum and see what turns up. There may yet be another pristine M8 hanging around here from a forum member who just needs a little push.

robsteve

Subscriber
Cam:

Have you tried Robert White or one of the other UK dealers? The weak Pound has made Leica a bit cheaper in the UK.

Robert

cam

i have thought of that (though i didn't see any used). part of the problem is i'm still paying in dollars and live in Paris -- so there's V.A.T. i could always send it to my folks in the states and have them pass it on, but.... (i bought my Ricohs here for warranty purposes and the like and don't regret spending the extra money to do so. with the M8/M8.2 so high, though, i can't swing it locally.) i may just have to look harder....

thank you! keep the thoughts coming. i truly appreciate all the thoughts.

Terry

Cam,
If you do go for the shutter upgrade you should do the framelines at the same time. They are more accurate and it doesn't add that much more when you do them at the same time.

With the one year warranty, I wouldn't get so hung up on who owned it and how babies it was.
The very earliest cameras were recalled and fixed. I don't believe that they are any more problematic than others.

A Luigi or similar case dampens the noise. I would try and find someone who has a case and hasn't done the upgrade to figure out if the sound is acceptable.

cam

A Luigi or similar case dampens the noise. I would try and find someone who has a case and hasn't done the upgrade to figure out if the sound is acceptable.
thank you, Terry, for the advice on the framelines.... as for the above, i have and it isn't acceptable. i will most probably get a Luigi case to further dampen the noise.... it's hard to explain, but the streets i frequent are really really quiet. i need to get as close to silent as i can.

ah, bugger! just realised that to upgrade i have to send it to Solms -- which then will charge V.A.T. on top of that.... just when there's another black M8 up for sale :wtf:

N

nei1

Unfortunatly its not me as well but if it was Id be getting the M8.2;without a doubt.I think I might sell a lens to do it,if I had to,if I had one that wasnt used a great deal. Its not me ;but I think that the M8.2 is more or less what the M8 was intended to be;the upgrades to the M8 seem expensive and a little half hearted;I think I think that the M8.2 is the M8...................nei1

Last edited:

helenhill

I would not do the M8.2 /because of losing 8000 for 4000 shutter speed
the Shutter click does not offend me or others however its Subjective....
The M8 is Doing Well for Me :)

Bottom Line from what I understand
and PLEASE correct me if i am Wrong
the Image Quality is Identical on the M8 /M8.2

but aside from that I am selling my RD1 here and @ RFF for $1050.00

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Cam
If you have a friend in Paris who is VAT rated (or if you are indeed), then you can buy from Robert White without having to pay the VAT - that goes for the Solms upgrade as well.

Not sure if this helps.
I do agree, if you're trying to be quite, the new shutter is much quieter, and the 'discreet' mode simply emphasizes the fact.

Good Luck in your decision.

woodyspedden

That is a tough one. Personally, I am happy with the M8 shutter noise. Its not that loud at all to me, but if money was no object I would buy a BP M8.2 and rest easy knowing that it is brand new, untouched and has a 3 year warranty.

But if money was an issue (and it always is for me) I would buy a used M8 from a reputable seller, as long as it was not one of the very early bodies. To me, buying a 2 year old M8 without warranty is a bit scary as I would be worried about the costs to fix it if something went wrong.

Good luck!
But remember Steve that when you buy the upgrade you have a new full one year warranty. So no matter the age of the body so long as it is in good shape!

Woody

cam

after going back and forth and looking at the options, here is where i'm at.

despite my protestation that i *needed* the quieter shutter, i think the cost of the upgrade is obscene. absolutely fantastic for those who have had the M8 for a while, but cost prohibitive if buying it now....

so, a used M8 -- damn the shutter noise, enjoy the 8000th with my fast lenses, and not have such a large pit at the bottom of my stomach for spending money i don't really have.

or get the M8.2.

sigh.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cam,

It sounds to me that you will not be happy with the M8 shutter noise and as you say the upgrade is very expensive and you will be without your camera for a while.

If you can stretch to it I think the only answer therefore is = M8.2.

Bonne weekend!

stephengilbert

I hate to introduce another option, but there is the possibility of buying a used M8 that has already been upgraded. I believe there was one on the buy and sell section a while ago. It might be worth listing a WTB for a while if you're not too impatient.

Steve