The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying a demo M8 from an authorized dealer

xmarcelo

I am new to the world of Lecia, having purchased a new D-Lux4 a few weeks ago and must say that I am just so delighted with this little camera. I am also new to this forum and have appreciated reading the various discussions, recommendations and opinions. Reading Steve Huff's reviews has been so helpful as well. His enthusiasm along with the rest of the members is contagious. So I intend to buy an M8, preferably a pre-owned one or demo. So I have a few questions that I hope some of you my opine on.

Other than the serial number and number of actuations, are there any other questions anyone might recommend I ask an authorized dealer (or a private seller for that matter) about an M8 that is either a demo or just pre-owned? If the dealer just got the camera back from Leica, and represents that it has been checked out, is there a question or questions that you would ask about what Leica did with the camera? If the seller represents that the camera comes with a 1 year warranty, are there questions to ask about the warranty?

Any insight and direction would be appreciated.

J

jeff stevens

I just got one from an authorized dealer. There are a couple things. First the file numbers are reset when you do a firmware update. The only way to truly see how many shot have been taken is to look at the Hex Code in the metadata and convert it to a decimal number. I found the info to do that on the Leica User Forum.

As for serial number, there is some discrepancy about relating s/n to age or date of manufacture. I don't know for sure.

If it's being sold as a demo with a 1 year warranty, you need to make sure it comes with the blue warranty card, not the white one.

Having said that, I bought a demo 2 weeks ago, it was flaky, would lock up randomly, and the rangefinder was off (according to the hex code it only had 944 shots and it was a "late" s/n). I took it back to my dealer and they exchanged it for another that they had there. This one is a early s/n, had 3500 shots taken on it, but it's not flaky, the rangefinder is accurate, and overall "feels" like a better camera. So there is something to be said for just shooting with it before you plunk your money down.

xmarcelo

Jeff: Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I picked up a pre-owned M8 from a dealer last week and began experimenting with it over the weekend. Another forum member spent some time sharing his thoughts on how to evaluate the camera as well. He too mentioned the value in taking a bunch of photos and viewing them on my computer, which I did. The photos looked fine, the dealer had a lot a patience and spent a fair amount of time with me going over the camera. So far, between some wonderful forum members, a pleasant dealer and some great photos, I must say I am happy to be part of the Leica community and I intend to enjoy my Leica products.