The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The MAGIC & ALLURE of the M8.....Is it For REAL

mwalker

Subscriber Member
What happen to Irakly? I haven't seen him on this forum for a while...I always liked his work.

N

nei1

Its becoming clear that digital is as much an attitude to life as it is a way of taking photos

Diane B

I have not personally seen them, but a friend has and said they were "impressive" for having come from such a little camera ;)
I thought I recognized the name. He had his portfolios printed in Lenswork in #69 (Mar/Apr 07) and #79 (Nov/Dec 08) I think they are also in the Lenswork extended 79 also. Some may prefer to see them printed--Lenswork does a good job with printed monos and they tone (actually they are duotones) them which adds IMO.

Diane

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Rob:

We were on that "walk" together in Puerto Rico and I used this image to teach B&W conversion techniques in LR or ACR without hitting CS. And the technique is very similar to Irakly's ;)

Here is my version from that morning:

EDIT: For giggles, I just re-opened the original M8 RAW and processed it in C1 to compare to my LR result above. Note i processed it to taste instead of trying to duplicate the look. Interesting to me to see how my perception has changed and the difference between the conversions. This file is as it came straight out of C1, even down to the jpeg conversion:

Cheers,

ecliffordsmith

Hi Helen,

Do you have any scanned examples of the sort of qualities you are not quite getting with your M8 please?

Personally I only use C1 as I do not have Photoshop so any changes I make during conversion are global. I have no idea whether my results are film like but I am usually happy with them.

All the best.

D

ddk

Rob:

We were on that "walk" together in Puerto Rico and I used this image to teach B&W conversion techniques in LR or ACR without hitting CS. And the technique is very similar to Irakly's ;)

Here is my version from that morning:

EDIT: For giggles, I just re-opened the original M8 RAW and processed it in C1 to compare to my LR result above. Note i processed it to taste instead of trying to duplicate the look. Interesting to me to see how my perception has changed and the difference between the conversions. This file is as it came straight out of C1, even down to the jpeg conversion:

Cheers,
My vote goes for the Adobe version by a huge margin, it has a lot more atmosphere than the C1 version which looks like something from an average p&s camera to me. Yes, good processing goes a long way, that's just as true in the digital darkroom as it is in the wet one.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
LR seems to have handled the sky portion of the image much better. Look at the leaves against the sky in the top-center of the image.

Also, after a closer look, I have a better understanding for the man's chosen position. Check out that bicycle seat. Ouch!

N

nei1

The first version looks slightly more natural,the second more over processed.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
For B&W processing, I prefer LR2/CS4 over C1, as there's a greater and easier control of tonality.

I prefer C1 for high ISO (640 and above) color processing. For lower ISO color processing, I choose LR2 just because it's quicker/easier for me, although C1 is at least as good, if not slightly better.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think you guys are nutz :ROTFL: The mid and shadow tones in my LR conversion are not realistic IMO. But then we all have different tastes for what makes good B&W, and I happen to like lots of contrast :)

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack try c1 with the panchromatic filter than do the color editor and play around for giggles . Show them how you can change the tones in each color like we did in Moab

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jack - I agree - I like your C1 conversion better than your LR conversion.

But I think you could get that type of contrast with LR as well (and probably quicker/easier) if you were trying for that look when you used LR.

Mike

D

ddk

C1 if my vote counts for anything the mid tones are mud in the LR version
Mud? MUd? MUD? no way! Look at the texture and detail on the tress, the bike cranks, the bike itself, and lets not forget the lovelier and warmer detail, easy to get more contrast without destroying any detail in the LR/PS image too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That back wall looks really flat to me but I do like punch in my shots . I'm a old zone system junkie

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

Hold on, I'll add a few pixels radius of blur and some noise and they'll look more like film!

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

(kidding of course -- there definitely is something tangible and preferable to B&W film ;))