The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 announcements

D

Digital Dude

In the abstract it’s difficult for me to assign a cost value to the hardware upgrades since I just purchased my M8 in December. I suppose those who are nearing the end of their warranty period will appreciate the upgrade more than me. Still, I will likely have my finger on the send button when the certificate shows up on my computer screen.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Why would you do it, Daniel ?
I'm in a similar situation.
My M8 is from mid october 2007, that is 3½ months old.
At that time the sales price was 4950 USD.
1200 EUR equals 1784 USD which is 36 % of the original sales price.
36 % increase of the total price just for two non vital changes of components, c'mon Leica.
And for what - just to make sure my camera is up to date ?
On the other hand, if I don't do these "perpetual" upgrades will I then ever be able to sell the camera again ?
After 2.8 such updates I will have paid the initial camera price twice.

jonoslack

Why would you do it, Daniel ?
I'm in a similar situation.
My M8 is from mid october 2007, that is 3½ months old.
At that time the sales price was 4950 USD.
1200 EUR equals 1784 USD which is 36 % of the original sales price.
36 % increase of the total price just for two non vital changes of components, c'mon Leica.
And for what - just to make sure my camera is up to date ?
On the other hand, if I don't do these "perpetual" upgrades will I then ever be able to sell the camera again ?
After 2.8 such updates I will have paid the initial camera price twice.
Hi There
You don't have to do it - you might want the faster top shutter speed and flash sync with a slightly noisier shutter (I might too) - Leica obviously thought people would in the first place.
You might not scratch your screen (mine is 18 months old and it's just fine).

You don't have to do it (and nor do I).
It's even possible that the secondhand value of an 'untreated' camera is less than that of a 'treated' camera . . . . on the other hand it might not!

But the fact that you don't fancy it doesn't mean it isn't a good thing. In this world of throw-away technology I think it's great that Leica have decided to play it differently. The fact that you don't want this upgrade (and I might not either) doesn't mean that it isn't great that they're offering it.

all the best

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Of course I can just skip the upgrade. It's the pricetag I find silly, Jono. Maybe I should have expressed that more clearly.
And more important, we still have to wait and see what the implications are for the cameras of those owners who choose not to do this upgrade.

carstenw

This upgrade is a much better deal for current owners than if Leica had simply released an updated M8-2 with no upgrade path for existing owners. There is no need to feel angry. This way, anyone can choose to buy an old M8 and update it themselves, keeping them viable.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I concur with Jono and LJ on this as well. The price of €1200 is for these items. Each time there is an upgrade, it has a price. The other makes no economic sense for the company. Essentially, they would be upgrading a camera forever at a fraction of the cost of a new body. One thing I've learned on my short Leica journey is nothing comes cheap and that would be a steal.
The fact is, this upgrade might make sense after a few years of really HEAVY use. We shoot a LOT more frames now with digital than we ever did with film, so shutters see a lot more actuations. Kind of nice to know my current M8's can be "updated" with new shutters in a few years if I need it done, regardless of whether or not the tech specs of the upgrade are important to me now. This falls into line with the historical path Leica has taken on the M camera not becoming obsolete.

Net-net, I like it :)

D

Digital Dude

Why would you do it, Daniel ?...
For me personally, it will likely fall into the category of “just because” since I can’t think of any real tangible reason to do it. However, I have some time for the hype to cool down before making the purchase so maybe I’ll develop frostbite.
Regards,:talk028:

Maggie O

The fact is, this upgrade might make sense after a few years of really HEAVY use. We shoot a LOT more frames now with digital than we ever did with film, so shutters see a lot more actuations. Kind of nice to know my current M8's can be "updated" with new shutters in a few years if I need it done, regardless of whether or not the tech specs of the upgrade are important to me now. This falls into line with the historical path Leica has taken on the M camera not becoming obsolete.

Net-net, I like it :)
I'm with Jack. I've shot ten of thousands of frames at this point and my screen is a little scuffed (left eyed shooter are always wiping nosegrease off the thing!) and yeah, a more quite shutter would be cool. I'll have to wait, as there's no way I can afford 1200 Euros. Maybe after I've bought a Leica lens?

Hummm, it might be time for upgrade two by the time I have the scratch for an upgrade. But what the heck, it's just cool to know I have the option.

I am very happy Leica is offering an upgrade path for the M8. It makes me feel better about my original decision to invest in the M8. I don't know if I will go for the first upgrade option based on its description and cost (although the 2 yr warranty sweetens the pot). More importantly, I am hoping future upgrades are not predicated on getting the first upgrade.

LJL

Mark,
That was kind of my other question about the possibility of "bundling" on a future upgrade. If I do not do this one, but decide on the next one (if it had something else really significant, like a new sensor and electronics), could I add this first one onto that order at some reduced cost since they would be cracking the body open anyway and doing the CLA? That would be a worthwhile consideration, I think. As Jack said, no real point in swapping a good, functional shutter right now, unless the sound thing was absolutely critical for somebody. Wait for the next offering and decide then.

LJ