The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica questions

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Since Jack and I are going to PMA and have some meetings with Leica . it would be nice to have a list of questions to ask them on the new M8 announcement and questions around that announcement. Please list questions you may have so we can try and get answers for them . Thanks Jack and Guy

LJL

I will jump in...

Is there a "roadmap" for other option upgrades?

What sorts of things is Leica looking at that could be upgraded? Faster image processing chips? SDHC card reading? Faster/bigger image buffer?

Is a complete sensor replacement a possible option when something else comes along, or does this become the M9, etc.?

LJ

Daniel

will i have to give up the first-born? hah-hah.

i like using flash sometimes, and i like the compactness of the nikon sb400 and it's tilting flash. will leica make a small flash with tilting flash head?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great questions folks , i am pretty much just going to copy and paste all the data . i think this is a good idea if we can get some solid answers back.

I posted this on the Luf also so will grab all there questions also

simonclivehughes

Questions regarding firmware:

I'm guessing from what has been revealed about the 1.201 firmware that we are not going to get the proposed (by Sean and others) easy access to ISO and exposure compensation? In your opinion, is there any hope whatsoever that this might be implemented in the future, or are we simply SOL?

Another thought is that we should ask for clarification that ongoing firmware development will not be necessarily tied to the latest upgrade, thereby stranding those of us who do not commit to an upgrade. I realize that in some cases part of a firmware upgrade may be specific to newer hardware, but original owners who elect not to upgrade shouldn't be left behind on more generic firmware upgradability.

I mention this as the announcement specifically states that the upgrade includes:

"Installation of the newest relevant firmware."

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
As a noob with an M8, I want to take the email message completely at face value. In particular, I would be quite pleased if Leica were to decide that significant upgrades in the future will always be an option for my M8 body. I can keep my camera current and take advantage of the latest developments should I decide to do so.

At some point however, a new Leica Digital rangefinder body is probably inevitable (assuming they don't close their doors entirely). I can live with that and maybe even look forward to it. But I would like to have some sense of how long it might be before the M9 is likely to appear. I would not like to think that my additional investment of $1,X00 will only be worthy for another 8 months.

So two questions:

1. Will new production M8 bodies be shipped with the listed upgrades (and if so, when does that start)? and,

2. What might be a realistic expectation for how long they will "upgrade" the M8 before a new body is introduced?

simonclivehughes

As has been surmised in the LUF thread, will upgrades be required to be done in order? IOW, if I elect not to have this one done but want to jump next time, will I have to get upgrade 1 done before upgrade x? Hopefully, they will be mutually exclusive.

Terry

I guess the big fear is you start down the path of upgrading you want to be really sure the big stuff is upgradeable when it comes along. I don't want to spend a thousand here and a thousand there and still need to spend on a new body. For instance I have no use for a saphhire screen but will do that upgrade and keep current if I know the next sensor version is an upgrade and not a new camera.

Also, my camera will only be a year old when the upgrade program starts why do it right away why not do it just before the end of warranty and maximize coverage. will Leica perhaps tack two years on to the end of the original or potentially last upgraded warranty? (this has been said elsewhere but not sure which thread).

Any type of loaner program during upgrades? Staffing to properly manage this program and avoid long service times?

Last edited:

LJL

I guess the big fear is you start down the path of upgrading you want to be really sure the big stuff is upgradeable when it comes along. I don't want to spend a thousand here and a thousand there and still need to spend on a new body. For instance I have no use for a saphhire screen but will do that upgrade and keep current if I know the next sensor version is an upgrade and not a new camera.
Terry,
This is sort of what I was asking also in the "roadmap". I think this may be the biggest question to get answered, otherwise, the rest of the upgrade options, though nice, useful and even somewhat for cosmetic reasons (LCD cover), will only provide us with a more costly paperweight at some point. If Leica is prepared to go in and change out lots of things, which it actually does look like they could do, based upon the build and modularity of some components, this would be fantastic. It may even preclude the "need" for an M9. What I really do not want to do is exactly what you are asking about.....spend on 2-3 options and still have the camera totally bypassed by newer/better sensor and processor technologies that really do control the image capture and quality.

(Sorry for the bit of a rant, but this is the real guts of the M8, and not just a new program for a la carte for collectors or something.)

LJ

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
My M8 seems to be clipping the highlights rather abrupt. This means that I often need to underexpose.
I suspect it may have something to do with the only 8 bit DNG files.
Am I right or wrong about this ?
And how come they are not at least 12 bit ?

Will we see a firmware upgrade that allows us to generate 12+ bit DNG files with the M8 ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
By the way, the opportunity to ask questions to people within the industri is such an excellent quality of this forum. Thanks for the great initiative !
/Steen

O

okram

Guy, please hear for us the new shutter, if available there (could you record it? with the old one beside...).

Get some hints about the upgrade price (seems expensive for now)...

Is FW fix only about WB?

TimWright

How quiet is the new shutter system supposed to be?
When there is a new sensor will our cameras be able to be upgraded?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Will all "New" M8's incorporate all the components of the upgrade? If so, starting at what date?

If the "New" M8's are manufactured with the upgrade, will there be a price increase, if so, how much (approximately).

Just a couple of direct questions above to help fill in some of the immediate "roadmap" about which LJ was inquiring. As a non M8 owner, is this an opportunity for me to buy used and then additionally purchase the upgrade which comes with the warranty (A big plus in this situation)? Could there be any savings in that route or will it still be more cost effective to buy new?