The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2 Zeiss lenses and 5 days in Tuscany

jonoslack

HI There
I did a trade with the charming Vieri Botazzini, and ended up with a 25mm zeiss biogon (which I did want) and a 50mm f1.5 zeiss sonnar (which I thought I didn't). Still, we went for a 5 day trip to Tuscany for the boss's birthday, and I thought I'd use these two lenses to give them a proper tryout.

the results of the trip can be found here:

Tuscany Photographs

I had obviously read Sean Reid's excellent write up on the 50 sonnar, and it turned out to be a real love affair; wide open it's like a poor man's noctilux:

Closed down just a little it behaves rather like the 50 'cron (which got left at home), and is as sharp as a pin:

The 25mm is less surprising - it has the high contrast zeiss look, but it was lovely in the constrained space in the little hill villages (this photo was taken in Montisi)

The only other lens I took on the trip was the trusty 75 'cron - I love this lens for close up work, but also for it's relatively small size and crisp feel:

I hope you enjoyed these, the three lenses made for a versatile and very lightweight setup.

I'll post a link to another recent trip with quite a different set of lenses in the next day or so.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jono
Sounds like a wonderful trip. I particularly like the hanging laundry photo in the Things gallery for the range of colors in the subdued lighting. Also, many nice images in the Views gallery, especially the B/W L5101347. Beautiful mood.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great series Jono ---- thanks for sharing!

BTW, Jim Collum is a big fan of the Sonnar too, another great two-fer lens.

jonoslack

Jono
Sounds like a wonderful trip. I particularly like the hanging laundry photo in the Things gallery for the range of colors in the subdued lighting. Also, many nice images in the Views gallery, especially the B/W L5101347. Beautiful mood.
Hi There
this one:?

taken with the zeiss 25 biogon - unfortunately I couldn't get the whole church in.

Glad you enjoyed them, thanks for looking

jonoslack

Great series Jono ---- thanks for sharing!

BTW, Jim Collum is a big fan of the Sonnar too, another great two-fer lens.
HI Jack
thank you for looking!
as you say two-fer - the difference between f1.5 and f5.6 is so huge that it's hard to believe it's the same lens

Attachments

J

JohnBuckley

Jono - looks like a great trip. (I think you dipped into Umbria if you went to Assisi...)

Couldn't help going to some Assisi photos to grab this, which was taken near where your Assisi church steps imge was taken... Cheers, JB

Attachments