The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official Leica Press Releases PMA 2008

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Huh??? they are announcing lenses already in production and an updated website?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Read the bottom one Jack it is about the upgrade not sure why they included the Crons.
Yes, I saw THAT one, but why even bother with the others --- I mean nothing there is news? Okay, maybe mention something at the end of the upgrade release like, "... and be sure to visit our freshly updated website," but re-hashing OLD news is a PR disaster in the making...

mwalker

Subscriber Member
??? Scared me there for a minute.....I thought they were going to discontinue the 28 cron right when I was trying to find one.

LJL

Yes, I saw THAT one, but why even bother with the others --- I mean nothing there is news? Okay, maybe mention something at the end of the upgrade release like, "... and be sure to visit our freshly updated website," but re-hashing OLD news is a PR disaster in the making...
Really!! I had to go back and check the dates to make sure it was 2008, as it sounded more like 2007 when I started going through them until the M8 news.

LJ

Thanks for the "official press release" Guy. I am underwhelmed, but that is OK my bank account needs a rest. I really like the idea of Leica of making the M8 upgradeable. However, the price for the initial upgrade package has me scratching my head considering what you get and realize it is about the same cost as a Nikon D300. I have to assume Leica priced the upgrade based on what they think the market will tolerate, not actual costs plus profit. I don't know if I will upgrade or not - I am leaning toward not.

Terry

So, after recently plopping down my $3000ish for a new 28 'cron I was reading the press release with giant bulging bug eyes thinking a)you idiot b)why would they change a lens that has only gotten rave reviews c) what have they actually changed.

Update: my heart rate is back to normal but my brain is pretty scrambled to figure out why this was a press release!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was even debating why I threw it up there. But than someone would say i left it out , you know those people. LOL

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
What gives? First Sigma with their 200-500/2.8 which was announced last year and *cough* again this year (but now it comes in "Hulk-is-mad" Green). And now Leica?

Is it to make up for not enough news in our new "got to have it ten minutes ago-immediate gratification" culture?

Maggie O

Oy gevalt, did you see Leica's awful new website? It gives Dancing Bologna a bad name. Hell, it gives "pretentious and vacuous" a bad name!

Capsule review: "NOW IST DE TIME ON SPROCKETS ZAT VEEE DANSE!!!"

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Actually, the first 3 pages posted here do not look like press release material, maybe it is just part of the literature they have on hand for PMA. The last 2 pages are clearly press releases.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The upgrade program for the M8 is "perpetual". Does this signal that they have discovered a way to fit a full frame sensor in the M8 body (or think they can solve that riddle for future upgrades) or will the M8 always be a crop sensor camera and a full frame camera will have to be a different model?

I can hardly wait for photokina now and the unveiling of the R10.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I still like the idea of the upgrade path. I can beat up my existing M8 and for about 1/4 the cost of a new one, get a new, quieter shutter installed, the LCD glass replaced with a scratch-proof option and a full 2-year warranty. So while the "upgrade" may not make sense for me now, it might in another year or two... Not bad :thumbs:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I can fully agree with you on that version, Jack, and I very much hope that you are right.
If in two years, when my present warranty runs out, I am free to pick exactly the preferred upgrade among several released upgrades and at the same time get another two years warranty, then it makes sense to pay the money, provided (!) a buyer can take over this possibility if at some point I choose to sell the camera.
It is very important that the possibilities follow the registered camera (by serial number) and its life cycle, and not a registered owner. Otherwise you can become trapped with a unsaleable camera.
And it is very important that you can choose to pick the preferred upgrade without necessarily having to do all the upgrades in a row.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Frankly, the above fits with Leica's historical philosophy: Non-obsolescence of any M camera; they've never cared in the past who the original purchaser was, only who was paying for the work ;)