The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Misc M8 Questions

Gary P

I like to use fill flash sometimes, does anyone know if there is an adapter to put a canon or Nikon flash on the M8 hotshoe and get the automatic camera controlled flash operation? I would hate to have to buy another flash unit.

Is it everyones opinion that C-1 is the preferred software to modify the Leica raw files?

Thank you.

Gary P

Lloyd

I use my SB-800s on the M8, but only in Manual mode. I don't know of any way to have the camera control the flash. Manual works fine, however.

I use C1, but also Lightroom and ACR (on PS4). I sometimes think C-1 gives me better results, but not uniformly.

Gary P

Thanks Lloyd!

I really enjoy your work by the way! I always look forward to your new posts in the "fun with" thread. It's inspiring!

I just purchased Jack F's Leica system and am trying to get settled into the drivers seat if you will. I hope to have something worthy to post soon.

Gary P

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The only flashes that work with M-TTL are the dedicated Leica flashes
There are two of the newest Metz flashes that work with restrictions (secondary flash not firing in bounce mode) and SCA compatible Metz flashes will work in the "a" setting and will communicate with the camera through the 3502 M4 and 3502 M5 SCA adapter, which means flash ready signal, setting of sync speed and motorzoom reflector.
Nearly all other flashes will function in manual mode, with a restriction for flashes like the Canon ones, that have no "a"control on the flash - making the operation more fiddly. My experience is that the Metz Z series and MZ series flashes make great companions for the M8, and being older, they are really cheap. For professional work there is no getting around using one or more Leica SF 58 flashes. There is an article on that in the latest LFI.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd!

I really enjoy your work by the way! I always look forward to your new posts in the "fun with" thread. It's inspiring!

I just purchased Jack F's Leica system and am trying to get settled into the drivers seat if you will. I hope to have something worthy to post soon.

Gary P
Thanks Gary. I'm flattered.

Congrats on the new kit... looking forward to some great results.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My C1 tip for Leica M8 shooters: Set the sharpening and NR to these settings and save them as your defaults:

Amount 98%
Radius 0.4
Threshold 2
Lum NR 0
Color NR 40

These are excellent starting points for up through ISO 640, and I think you'll find they generate a nice smooth, yet sharp file (;)). For ISO 1250, move the Lum NR up to 40; for 2500 move the Color to 60.

Cheers,

robertwright

The only flashes that work with M-TTL are the dedicated Leica flashes
There are two of the newest Metz flashes that work with restrictions (secondary flash not firing in bounce mode) and SCA compatible Metz flashes will work in the "a" setting and will communicate with the camera through the 3502 M4 and 3502 M5 SCA adapter, which means flash ready signal, setting of sync speed and motorzoom reflector.
Nearly all other flashes will function in manual mode, with a restriction for flashes like the Canon ones, that have no "a"control on the flash - making the operation more fiddly. My experience is that the Metz Z series and MZ series flashes make great companions for the M8, and being older, they are really cheap. For professional work there is no getting around using one or more Leica SF 58 flashes. There is an article on that in the latest LFI.
caveat: the newest canon 580exII has a thyristor included, custom function 5, -3 enables what we used to call "A" mode- you set the aperture, ISO, and the flash delivers the correct exposure.

flash is very top heavy however.

jonoslack

Is it everyones opinion that C-1 is the preferred software to modify the Leica raw files?

Thank you.

Gary P
Not mine - I have (and use C-1) but I'm never quite happy with the colour with the M8 files. I don't use Lightroom, so I can't comment, but I find that Aperture does a grand job with the M8 files.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
You could use Jamie Roberts' profiles - they are an improvement on the standard ones.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
My C1 tip for Leica M8 shooters: Set the sharpening and NR to these settings and save them as your defaults:

Amount 98%
Radius 0.4
Threshold 2
Lum NR 0
Color NR 40

These are excellent starting points for up through ISO 640, and I think you'll find they generate a nice smooth, yet sharp file (;)). For ISO 1250, move the Lum NR up to 40; for 2500 move the Color to 60.

Cheers,
Jack, how do I save defaults in C4?:confused::eek:

cam

Jack, how do I save defaults in C4?:confused::eek:
dial in the values Jack gave.

under the upside down triangle next to SHARPENING hit "Save as Defaults" and remember to do the same under NOISE REDUCTION (or you can add new presets, such as "up to 640," "1250," and "2500" for NR).

jonoslack

You could use Jamie Roberts' profiles - they are an improvement on the standard ones.
Hi Jaap
I did, and I agree they're an improvement . . . . still prefer Aperture though, and it makes the rest of life so much easier as well!

jaapv

Subscriber Member
dial in the values Jack gave.

under the upside down triangle next to SHARPENING hit "Save as Defaults" and remember to do the same under NOISE REDUCTION (or you can add new presets, such as "up to 640," "1250," and "2500" for NR).
Thanks. i had to put on my glasses for the triangle:toocool:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
There are 26" screens out there now....:eek:

Anyway, what native sharpening do people use for the DMR?

cam

hey, Jaap!

i got a question for you.... since you mentioned it on that other forum, how to you set your preference for "process" (i.e., M8 output) to 16-bit from C1? it only seems to spit out 8-bit, but i imagine i'm just missing something.... i mean, even Epson Raw spat out 16-bit.

TIA

jaapv

Subscriber Member
hey, Jaap!

i got a question for you.... since you mentioned it on that other forum, how to you set your preference for "process" (i.e., M8 output) to 16-bit from C1? it only seems to spit out 8-bit, but i imagine i'm just missing something.... i mean, even Epson Raw spat out 16-bit.

TIA
I dont know - I'm on C4 and it is the default.