The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Update from PMA

LJL

When the upgrade becomes general, there will quickly be a clamour for new cameras with the quieter shutter - and the idea of sending it straight back is not going to be attractive. So, to my mind, whatever Leica may be saying right now, there will be a market for both 'versions' and if there is a market and they can make them without new production lines or new R&D costs - why on earth wouldn't they? Whatever they might be saying now.
Jono,
This is pretty much a key point that seems to be lost right now, at least from what Leica is saying, but we will have to see what else may change over time. The thought of buying a brand new M8 "base model" and then having to purchase a separate voucher for an upgrade some several months later seems odd to me. Maybe this is where some dealers may order M8s, have the option upgrades already done, and then sell those to new/prospective buyers. Just knowing that you have a choice of shutters is great (and maybe a choice of sensors later also), but it seem terribly frustrating to then learn that you cannot get a camera that way to start. (What dawned on me later was that as soon as you take ownership of an M8, the in-camera shutter instantly becomes "used", until you are able to send it in for replacement. Same would be true for the sensor and anything else. So what happens to those parts? Will Leica install "used" parts on other cameras for repair, or do they get discarded or sold to some secondary repair market or something?)

I agree that things are "half full or half empty", and for the most part, I see them as "half full". There are just a few things that really could use some further explication that keep pushing things below the meniscus on that glass and making it feel more "half empty" at times ;)

LJ

jonoslack

Jono,
This is pretty much a key point that seems to be lost right now, at least from what Leica is saying, but we will have to see what else may change over time. The thought of buying a brand new M8 "base model" and then having to purchase a separate voucher for an upgrade some several months later seems odd to me. Maybe this is where some dealers may order M8s, have the option upgrades already done, and then sell those to new/prospective buyers. Just knowing that you have a choice of shutters is great (and maybe a choice of sensors later also), but it seem terribly frustrating to then learn that you cannot get a camera that way to start. (What dawned on me later was that as soon as you take ownership of an M8, the in-camera shutter instantly becomes "used", until you are able to send it in for replacement. Same would be true for the sensor and anything else. So what happens to those parts? Will Leica install "used" parts on other cameras for repair, or do they get discarded or sold to some secondary repair market or something?)

I agree that things are "half full or half empty", and for the most part, I see them as "half full". There are just a few things that really could use some further explication that keep pushing things below the meniscus on that glass and making it feel more "half empty" at times ;)

LJ
Interesting - of course, if the new shutters aren't available in volume yet, then it would be a little dangerous for Leica to up and say there will be new cameras with quieter shutters in November - assuming half the potential buyers think the speed/volume exchange is a good one, then they're going to lose some sales!

Things change, and I'm sure that this will change, but I think that the concept is fine, and if they're not being entirely clear about it right now . . . perhaps that's not too surprising!

LJL

Jono,
I agree with you here. If the new shutters are not yet available, this program is a way to gauge some volume for the replacement line facility, as well as the parts inventory. By November, there may be an option to buy a new M8 and immediately have the shutter and LCD cover swapped without lengthy delay. That would be nice, and it would still cater to the existing M8 owners to get the goods earlier than the general market.

I do like the upgrade option concept. I would like to know more plans sooner, but as you say, it is not always clear from Leica. It seems like this entire program could become "a la carte version 2" for Leica, and that is not a bad thing either, but the delivery time has to be kept shorter for those wanting a new camera.

Until it really starts to roll out, we all need to be a bit patient and open in our thinking, and just go shoot pictures while waiting. For me, I would love to have the new shutter, a smoother shutter release, SDHC capability, a bigger buffer, and later, the option for a new sensor and electronics to keep the camera cutting edge. Those are more functional upgrades in my mind. Like you, I enjoy the feel of my present camera, and really do not see a need to replace that relationship....just spruce up some parts.

LJ

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I'm really mixed on this one.

On the one hand, it's nice to know that if I buy something, I won't have to buy a whole replacement camera and can simply upgrade my current camera.

But on the other hand, as time moves forward, prices with regards to technology come down (for the most part). And the last thing I'm going to want to do is buy a $5k camera, and then have to do 3 upgrades to it for another $5k.

IMO, it would be nice for them to, once they've rolled this out for all previous owners who were interested, start buying these new models as the "base" model.

PeterA

I am not surprised to hear that you haven't got your Leica stuff back Marc - January is pretty much an unofficial holiday in Europe.

woodyspedden

I am not surprised to hear that you haven't got your Leica stuff back Marc - January is pretty much an unofficial holiday in Europe.
So Peter

I have not heard from you for awhile and would love to know how you like the DMR and the 35-70 Elmarit. Also the 70-180 although you have already said that it is large, heavy and hard to keep steady. But the IQ, as I remember it, is sensational.

Anyway, let me know how you are doing. I am super glad that those physical problems are now under control. God that is scary stuff

All the best

Woody

D

Digital Dude

Good Post LJ
...it seems to me that the cup is either half full or half empty, depending how you look at it. But let's apply a little common sense...I like the idea of an upgradeable camera, my M8's have a nice 'lived in' look about them these days, and the idea that I can keep them and still have the latest technology seems fine!
I feel the same way although my M8 is new so I can’t leverage the same “no brainer” perspective. Still, the worthless US dollar will motivate me to purchase the upgrade before the € vs. $ nearly doubles.
Regards,:cry:

Last edited:

stephengilbert

"Still, the worthless US dollar will motivate me to purchase the upgrade before the € vs. $ nearly doubles."

Or you can buy FXE shares. Each share represents 100 Euros; they're currently about $146.50 and pay monthly interest. It's like having a savings account in Euros. You can buy 50 or 100 shares now, and sell when you're ready to buy an upgrade. Or you can keep them and claim to whoever cares that they somehow make your buying more stuff less stupid. They're like a hedge against Leica prices.