The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super Elmar 18mm f/3.8 wide open crops

S

sclamb

Nothing scientific here but some crops from a picture to show the performance of this lens wide open. I am pleased with the low level of CA and the edge performance wide open. Please ignore the colour tinge at the edges - I had the camera set to UV/IR when I don't have the filter for my 18mm yet!

Full picture:

Top Left:

Top Middle:

Top Right:

More in next message.

otumay

Simon,
Thank you for your posting. This lens is on my shopping list and I'd love to see a building shot. What I gathered from the LFI Magazine article, this lens should have less distortion at the edges, i.e. inclination of the outermost perpendiculars. If this is true, then it might be the dream lens of architectural photographers. Do you agree?
Best regards,
Osman

S

sclamb

Of the pictures that I have taken I was pleasantly surprised at the low level of distortion in perpendiculars. For an 18mm lens it is excellent is this regard.

Simon

S

sclamb

David, I have not used an external finder so far but I think I will need to invest in one for accurate framing. I will probably opt for the 25mm Voighlander which is £400 less than the 24mm Leica VF in the UK and near enough in FOV.

Simon

ecliffordsmith

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting these samples. This seems like a very tempting lens. It is also interesting what you state about the framing without a dedicated viewfinder. Is there a lot lot more outside the whole camera viewfinder being captured?

S

sclamb

Ed

There is quite a bit outside the viewfinder area. I thought I might be able to get away with not using an accessory finder but I think I will need to get one for accurate framing.

Simon

otumay

Simon, I have just ordered a Super Elmar 18mm for myself. Thank you for your motivation!
Best regards,
Osman

S

sclamb

Always happy to help other people spend their money Osman :D

Simon