The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shots from the Moab workshop

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike,
I love where you went to shoot the Three Gossips. I was excited to shoot there the last morning but I am not happy with the shots I ended up getting. You have a lot of shots where I like where you hiked to!
Thanks Terry. I have a few other "off the beaten path" photos that I'll post soon (hopefully tonight). I took a few strenuous hikes to get off the road and get some less common angles.

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
OK, now I'm going to post a few of my favorite shots from the trip.

First up... this is from Friday morning, when we ventured to the back-end of the park. This was the sunrise shoot (just before we went to Landscape Arch).

I ventured out across the field in to the "fins", and saw the sun hitting this snow bank and rock at a very appealing angle.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I ventured "off road" to find a new angle of the "Window Arch" cluster. This was taken about half way between "Garden of Eden" and "Turret Arch". I hiked off the road, and up a steep hill that was covered with snow/ice. It was a bit treacherous, but worth it, as I discoverd some new compositions.

This one is probably my favorite from that hike...

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's another shot from the same hike. Similar composition, but taken from a different hill (nearby) with different foreground, and the sun at a lower angle.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Did you use your MP at all?
Hi Cindy:

No, I am sorry to say I did not. I was flying so kept my bag to a minimum --- 2 M8's and six lenses :))) HOWEVER... Jim adn Linda happened to have an MP there to borrow and Bob Freund grabbed it, found the only roll of 35mm film left in Moab and exposed it! And, I suspect we WILL be seeing some scans on this very thread soon :thumbup:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I saw this scene on my way to Moab, when driving in from the airport at Grand Junction, but I couldn't find a way to shoot it (I couldn't find any roads that would get me close and a good angle).

On the way back to the airport on Saturday morning, I found a road that got me within about a mile of the railroad track. Then I hoofed it the rest of the way (in 8 inches of snow!) to get this shot.

This is at a high elevation (around 6,000 feet) near the border of Utah and Colorado, about a mile off of HWY 70.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Really beautiful shots Mike. The foreground on the Landscape Arch shot is very rich, I like how the snow sits on that branch.

cmb_

A few sunset shots. There were two nights that were spectacular, although on one of them the sun was behind the clouds for a long time and just peeked out for a minute. No Photoshop tricks here, just normal processing and some cropping.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mike, GREAT shot on the train cars!

Terry, AMAZING pull from an M8 that far away! Was that the 90 Summarit?

Charlie, LOVE the varied colors in the sunset/sunrise shots!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great stuff folks , really if you go back from the beginning of the thread there is just some amazing imagery right to the last post and it does not stop.

Terry

Terry, AMAZING pull from an M8 that far away! Was that the 90 Summarit?
Yes, Jack you know your scenery and fields of view! It was the 90 Summarit.

For others thinking about the Summarits who read this thread, like Guy said in his tests, the 75 and 90 Summarits are very easy to focus. I "borrowed" both (from our full supply of demo lenses) for a couple of days and had no problem getting good focus (wide open) without a magnifier. 100% crop

View attachment 1635

cmb_

Here is the postcard view of Landscape Arch shot with the R 19mm. This is what I was framing in the photo Mike posted of me earlier. Thanks for that one Mike.

If you follow the rock formation from Landscape Arch just to the right you will see this group: