The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stiff Focusing on the Summilux-R 80

j. white

Hi,

I recently became an R owner and have been thoroughly enjoying using the R6. This weekend I found an early 3-cam 80mm Summilux at a reasonable price (for a Leica lens that is!) and needless to say, I succumbed to its charms and bought it. While I haven't had a chance to process any images from it just yet, I am struck by how solid the whole affair feels.

One concern with it though is that the action on the focus ring is tighter than I prefer. I find that for long changes in focus distance I am turning both the camera and lens for the sake of speed. Of course I can't do this without taking the camera away from my eye.

Can this be adjusted? If so, whom does everyone recommend for doing R-system repairs in the US?

Many thanks!

-J.

woodyspedden

I use a fellow named John Stelton at FocalPoint Inc in Boulder Colorado. i was referred to him by Sean Craynor, the proprietor of Camera West in Monterey CA who is well known to many on this forum.

John did some critical work for me, including recoating a lens element, on my 60 year old 85 Summarex. He also lapped in the brass focusing helicoid and applied the appropriate grease. All in all a perfect job with after repair focussing smooth and accurate.

If you decide to contact John, let him know that I referred you.

Good luck

Woody

Seascape

For what ever reason most 80 Lux's I have handled do have a stiff focusing action. My own was really tight when I got it, as an older mint condition unit. I spent time just turning the focusing ring back and forth, and it is now quite smooth......I doubt it will ever be loose, but that is fine with me.:thumbup:

You may want to try this......they do bed-in with use.

robmac

I've had two 80s (one cheery and one well used) and both echoed Seascape's experiences - they seem to tend towards the stiffer side of where I'd like. Not nasty, just not my ideal. That said, it does make for holding a shallow Dof easier. A change of lube might help, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Part design, part age and part lots of metal and glass to shift I guess.

j. white

Thanks for the input everyone! The action reminds me more of how the Hasselblad V-series lenses behave more than the 50mm Summicron. I'll try to work it in a bit and see how that goes. The lens doesn't appear to have had much use and the box lists it as being for the R3, R4, and Leicaflex models. The grease may just need to be exercised a bit.

Then again, it may be something that's just a part of the package.

Woody, I'll be sure to mention you if I choose to contact John Stelton. It's always good to know of a reliable repair person.

-J.

Jungle Jim

I also highly recommend John van Stelton at Focal Point. He has done 6 CLA's for me on everything from my Leica M's to Canon RF lenses for me. Also impeccable work and decent turnaround times.

Best Wishes.

Jim