The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 and picture noise

Scargos2

I came from a canon 20D and did not get any noise in my pictures. Purchased the M8 for a lot more money $$ and I am finding a lot of noise in my pictures. Are the other owners of a M8 finding this problem also. I read the the M8.2 has less noise than the M8, has anyone seen the difference if there is any. I am using older lens if this makes any difference. And I use the lowest ISO in the camera
Are any one of you using a noise reduction software.:confused:
This is very upsetting to have this problem with this camera.
Hope to hear from all of you on this forum, about this.:lecture:

Thanks Rick:toocool:

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you post a 100% crop from an image with the noise you are concerted about?
The M8 and M8.2 have roughly equivalent noise which at low iso is very little.
The M8 produces particularly clean files. The lens has nothing to do with noise except the perceptual difference that edge sharpness and micro-contrast brings.
Granted, at iso 320 noise can become just perceptable, but it also depends on how you intend to use the image.
Are you shooting raw or jpeg?
thanks
-bob

robertwright

the 20D cmos is nearly the same generation as the M8 CCD, I don't remember much of a difference between the noise values. A cmos chip will look different than a CCD chip in almost all cases, and I don't want to characterize that difference:D

The 20D is not as clean as the 5D, and if you compare the M8 and 5D they are nearly identical, depending on raw converter.

That said, people don't necessarily appreciate the M8 for low noise, that is not it's strong suit.

do you have any examples?

rchisholm

If you expose correctly, the noise is really minimal to 640. If you underexpose, you will appreciate more noise when you adjust exposure in the raw developer.

A

Artorius

I agree

If you expose correctly, the noise is really minimal to 640. If you underexpose, you will appreciate more noise when you adjust exposure in the raw developer.
Almost two years with the M8, and I agree. Correct exposure is the KEY for low noise up to and including 1250. I regularly print 13X19 with no noticeably noise, or any other problems, B&W or Color.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I came from a canon 20D and did not get any noise in my pictures. Purchased the M8 for a lot more money $$ and I am finding a lot of noise in my pictures. Are the other owners of a M8 finding this problem also.
Are you just comparing noise on-screen while pixel-peeping or actually producing prints? There is a BIG difference between what you see on screen compared to what is put out on paper. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that part of what we see as 'noise' in some images actually ends up improving the texture, resolution and colour of the final print.

Even with my DSLR images I'll sometimes add a noise layer as a final step to make the image more 'analogue' in rendition.

I read the the M8.2 has less noise than the M8, has anyone seen the difference if there is any. I am using older lens if this makes any difference. And I use the lowest ISO in the camera
Are any one of you using a noise reduction software.:confused:
This is very upsetting to have this problem with this camera.
Hope to hear from all of you on this forum, about this.:lecture:

Thanks Rick:toocool:
There is no difference in images from the M8 or M8.2 (I have both). I think you're confusing the sound of the shutter perhaps?

Again - compare prints. It's important that you're getting the exposure right and I don't ever get noisy images with the M8 at base ISO. :thumbup:

steflaurent974

I own and use a M8 for two years now...Before this I was using a m3 and a MP (I use them now too). So for me the noise was not such a big issue, comming from the TRI X, often pushed 1 or two stops !
But the M8 sensor is not so young today , and I consider that with the correct exposure I've got really clean files, provided by the sensor , capture One and Leica glass !!
And when it goes to the print : the results are really gallery exploitable.

Stephane.