The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 1 at default destroys fine detail.....

S

sclamb

I noticed something in a few pictures and looked into it further using different raw processing software on M8.2 pictures. What I was noticing is that detail was looking mushy in some pictures and I thought it might be the lens, but now I see it is how C1 processes by default.

When you open a DNG file, C1 has the following set by default on the details tab:

Noise Reduction

Lunimance: 25
Colour: 40

Sharpening

Amount: 130
Radius: 0.8
Threshold: 1.0

It is the luminance noise reduction that is making much of fine detail turn to mush, and it is not really needed at ISO160 anyway.

Here is a 100% crop of a picture taken at ISO160 that was processed using the C1 defaults as listed above:

Here is the default NR settings but with sharpening set to 190/1.3/1.0:

Here is the same area cropped but with Liminance set to 0 and sharpening set to 190/1.3/1.0:

The detail is much better and has not been destroyed by the default NR. I suggest turning off the Luninance NR unless it actually help for high ISO shots.

I know it is hard to tell with such small samples, but give it a try and you will see the difference. I can report that Aperture and RPP do not cause this mushing of fine detail as they do not set NR by default.

Simon

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No drop the luminance down to like 10 or zero on ISO 160 stuff you do not need it. You can save that as a default as well so ever time you use C1 it will default to that . Or if you have multiple systems you can set as a preset than name it M8 and say your Canon at another default BUT BUT you have to remember when you bring in the Canon or M8 files to select a image than select that preset you want than select all copy the settings than apply to all the images. I do this with WB all the time. But remember to deselect before you start processing or you will be processing every file. Yes i have done this several times and they need to change this so when you click on one thumbnail it deselects everything.

S

sclamb

Thanks Guy. I now have some M8 specific settings saved as defaults so that C1 opens with them by already set. Just seems odd that C1 sets luminance NR on by default.

Simon