The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Magnifier O-ring Question

stephengilbert

Does anyone have the measurements for the rubber O-ring that fits the Leica VF magnifier; he one that you lose almost immediately?

I called to check on them and found that they're ten dollars. A pack of fifty O-rings is $9.75, but I need to be sure of the size before ordering them. If you have an O-ring and a micrometer, I'd appreciate their exact size. I'll send you a few in return.:)

cam

LOL!

i may get one when i'm in the states to stack with the Megaperls one for my longer lenses. if i do, i promise to measure it straight out of the box :ROTFL:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I e-mailed Leica and they sent me two free of charge immediately.:thumbs: And it is not an O-ring, it has a profile.

M

marknorton

Yes, the cross section is a squared-off U with one leg longer than the other. This is what I got: 18mm OD, 1.5mm thick, 16mm ID (camera side), 14mm ID (viewing side).

$10 is obscene, the thing shouldn't come off in the first place.

stephengilbert

It has a profile? Maybe they get put in backwards, and that explains why they fall out.

I called Leica today, and they said they'd send me one for free.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The nikon magnifier also has this problem. The rubber ring rubs off and gets lost. They don t have replacement parts...but then the whole magnifier cost $40. One of my friends told me the Nikon solution is to use some loctite stic-n-seal. Its clear and bounds rubber to metal.

I paid $10 for my replacement . The stic-n seal is $4.

E

Eisemann

I have had success with taking the Leica supplied O ring, placing it in the designed position then using on of the plastic view finder protectors that Don Goldberg (DAG) sells, pushing it over the the O RIng. This effectively provides a plastic guard on the end of the view finder magnifier eyepiece. The Guard stays in place nicely, performs the same function as the O ring, assumes a proper fit as well as being easily removed as necessary.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes, the cross section is a squared-off U with one leg longer than the other. This is what I got: 18mm OD, 1.5mm thick, 16mm ID (camera side), 14mm ID (viewing side).

$10 is obscene, the thing shouldn't come off in the first place.
Where does this 10$ come from? Leica sends them out for free, you don't even have to pay the postage. The same with the red hemispherical lens locator dots.

M

marknorton

Where does this 10$ come from? Leica sends them out for free, you don't even have to pay the postage. The same with the red hemispherical lens locator dots.
Jaap - see the first post - Stephen was quoted $10...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
So I got preferential treatment -again???:eek:

I don't think so, he got them for free three posts down..:thumbup: