The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about 18mm f/3.8 UV/IR filter

S

sclamb

I just got my filter and if I shake it gently from side to side it rattles. The glass itself in the filter is not what is rattling. There is a black ring of stiff card or plastic inside the filter housing (about 5mm wide) which reduces the effective diameter of the filter by blocking off the outermost 5mm all the way round. Not sure what it is for but it is not a tight fit in the filter housing and it can be rotated quite freely.

The actual glass itself does move a bit if you press on the outside and push gently, but I am OK with that as some give is necessary I would imagine.

So I guess the rattling sound when you shake the filter is normal as the baffle is quite loose fitting.

Has anyone else that has this filter noticed this?

Simon

DavidE

Simon, I haven't yet received the filter, but will report back on any rattles or loose fittings once it arrives (soon, I hope).

S

sclamb

Thanks David. I think it is supposed to be that way, but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. I have had so many quality issues with Leica of late that I am becoming quite distrusting.

Simon

S

sclamb

Confirmation received from Leica is that the baffle does rattle and that is it there to stop stray relfections from the white lettering on the lens surround.

So, all is well.

Simon